Aussie Government blow it (Again)

BBender

South
My dear old 96 yo very independent father lives in Melbourne by himself and is growing more and more agitated with the archaic rules imposed by Andrews and his mates.
We continually remind  him not to do anything stupid.
He is given one hour to shop , all the seats have been removed in the shopping centres so he has nowhere to rest etc.
In essence a very poorly implemented plan to protect those supposedly most at risk. 

The older generations are not fools and are more protective of themselves than given credit for so any excuse that its to protect the oldies is bullshit.

Actually he  likens the current lock down to  Germany 1936 and says its only a matter of time before someone is shot for breaching curfew. God bless him. 
Andrews showed  his colours by imposing the harshest lockdown for stage one and refusing help from outside . His new found power ,as with the Qld. and WA premiers , has gone to his head and needs to be reigned in.

As long as the feds. continue to pay jobkeeper these premiers will wield their authority without care for the private industry future.

Federation needs overhauling.

Anyway being a 77YO Victorian living in Qld. I’m told the Qld. Hospitals are for Queenslanders only and so fuck off back to Victoria . 
‘Hail Andrews’

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
And my mother's spending her few remaining weeks in a nursing home..She is totally understanding why we have to have these restrictions and few visitors. But then again, she's been through the blackouts and bombings in a world war and two polio epidemics. :rolleyes:

Who'd have thought that some Australians were such wusses.

My son is one who's lost a job, I've had my pay cut. I doubt that theres many not suffering to a greater or lesser extent. Except of course the businesses who've been exploiting Job keeper to pay their shareholders and executive bonuses. what do they do to hoarders profiteers..shoot them?  
Ohhh you poor thing, you had a pay cut. Don't worry you have less of an opportunity to spend the money.

The wusses are the one who are happy to let Dictator Dan take responsibility for them. 

If we open up, then the Government can stop Job Keeper and the businesses have to get back to earning their own money.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Victoria's gross understaffing compared to other states - especially NSW.

That and the fact their health staff seemed distracted by social media issues let the thing get out of control in the first place 
and the social inclusion employment policy rather than employing the best people.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
they're not wusses, just selfish cunts.

i see no difference between them and the positives who don't isolate or the idiot sovereign citizens who protest. and you can throw in the anti vaxxers for good measure.

"because i want to" = selfish cunts!
"sovereign citizens" and anti vaxxers are just fucking idiots. 

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
No doubt Jack will produce the historic figures. I didn't keep or link the reports I read at the time. You obviously don't read as widely.

I recall they had 87 staff on the job when the second wave broke about three weeks after the BLM protest and had to borrow staff from NSW.

Here's their more recent release on the topic, after appointing new staff. But note the difference in health spend, which explains the understaffing at the first instance

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/victoria-defends-very-substantial-1700-strong-tracing-team-20200819-p55n7a
Pleas cut-n-paste the article as it's behind a paywall 

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
My dear old 96 yo very independent father lives in Melbourne by himself and is growing more and more agitated with the archaic rules imposed by Andrews and his mates.
We continually remind  him not to do anything stupid.
He is given one hour to shop , all the seats have been removed in the shopping centres so he has nowhere to rest etc.
In essence a very poorly implemented plan to protect those supposedly most at risk. 

The older generations are not fools and are more protective of themselves than given credit for so any excuse that its to protect the oldies is bullshit.

Actually he  likens the current lock down to  Germany 1936 and says its only a matter of time before someone is shot for breaching curfew. God bless him. 
Andrews showed  his colours by imposing the harshest lockdown for stage one and refusing help from outside . His new found power ,as with the Qld. and WA premiers , has gone to his head and needs to be reigned in.

As long as the feds. continue to pay jobkeeper these premiers will wield their authority without care for the private industry future.

Federation needs overhauling.

Anyway being a 77YO Victorian living in Qld. I’m told the Qld. Hospitals are for Queenslanders only and so fuck off back to Victoria . 
‘Hail Andrews’

We can't have states closing borders and telling "foreigners" to fuck off. The Federal Government should look at cutting funds to states who do not toe the line. 

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
We can't have states closing borders and telling "foreigners" to fuck off. The Federal Government should look at cutting funds to states who do not toe the line. 
The federal government has no control over state borders.

Considering the popularity of state governments at the moment, I'm all for the Fed's cutting jobseeker and job keeper.

Weyalan

Super Anarchist

Considering the popularity of state governments at the moment, I'm all for the Fed's cutting jobseeker and job keeper.
If your beef is with the State Governments, isn't cutting Jobkeeper/Seeker just punishing a bunch of people for the failings of a totally different bunch of people?

NB Not saying we shouldn't be cutting JK/JS, necessarily, but just not to get back at recalcitrant State Governments (well, lets face it, government... y'all are only really hatin' on the one). 

Last edited by a moderator:

Weyalan

Super Anarchist
And on the subject of JK/JS... working out which companies are zombies and which are not would seem like a good idea. Also not supporting companies to allow them to pay massive bonuses to the top brass, or significant dividends to relatively rich shareholders would seem reasonably sensible regardless of when and by how much the foreshadowed cuts are gonna be.

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
If your beef is with the State Governments, isn't cutting Jobkeeper/Seeker just punishing a bunch of people for the failings of a totally different bunch of people?

NB Not saying we shouldn't be cutting JK/JS, necessarily, but just not to get back at recalcitrant State Governments (well, lets face it, government... y'all are only really hatin' on the one). 
Cutting federal responsibilities would be suicidal..  

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
And on the subject of JK/JS... working out which companies are zombies and which are not would seem like a good idea. Also not supporting companies to allow them to pay massive bonuses to the top brass, or significant dividends to relatively rich shareholders would seem reasonably sensible regardless of when and by how much the foreshadowed cuts are gonna be.
Job keeper has the potential to be the biggest fraud in Australian political history.

Weyalan

Super Anarchist
Job keeper has the potential to be the biggest fraud in Australian political history.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you. But at face value the idea that supporting business that would otherwise go broke, but with support would emerge from the economic crisis as viable business does seem like a reasonable idea. The problem is that making the idea a reality at very short notice has created a system that appears to be extremely rortable.

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
Not necessarily disagreeing with you. But at face value the idea that supporting business that would otherwise go broke, but with support would emerge from the economic crisis as viable business does seem like a reasonable idea. The problem is that making the idea a reality at very short notice has created a system that appears to be extremely rortable.
The idea was a good one.

It suffers from its speed of implementation.

Like pink batts etc

Not that the experts here understand.....

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
So how do you write off the author of the article I posted above?

Catherine Bennett is chair in epidemiology at Deakin University.
One thing that struck me about the article is that if you read it carefully, she admits she is out of the loop. To quote

Naturally on Sunday we were all very keen to hear about what we have learnt from the Victorian data analyses, but there was nothing. I was left feeling extremely disappointed.
I wonder why she is so far out of the loop? Should we be paying close attention to somebody who hasn't seen the modelling or data analysis. I also wonder why she thinks that any government would release that sort of data analysis. None have that I am aware of, so why would Victoria start. I am also very confused by the following

We may have missed that boat now for these next steps, but it is not too late for the government to analyse our second wave data so that we can know in more detail about our vulnerabilities as well as what worked, and can mount a strong, tailored prevention strategy going ahead.
She has zero evidence, other than nothing was said about this data at a press conference, to support the notion that there has been no analysis of the second wave data.

I am not saying that the Vic government is doing a good job (I think they have been shit), but I am very careful who i listen to and certainly don't pay much attention to people who admit to not having all the facts.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
I'm not sure that cite supports your claim....
Victoria's top public health official has hit back at suggestions Victoria's contact tracing team is understaffed.....

Very believable source.  :lol:

Were Victoria behind the track and trace curve  when 500+ cases a day were happening? Absolutely.

Would any other state be any different?t
Maybe the states that offered assistance to Victoria did something different?

This article when July 10 Victoria recorded 288 new cases – the largest daily infection rate recorded to that date.

Same day NSW 14 where 13 returned travellers in quarantine the other from Albury. 

Victoria's contact tracing system to be bolstered after string of failures.

"Victoria's contact tracing system will be bolstered after being overwhelmed beyond capacity, with some people waiting nearly two weeks for confirmation they could have been exposed to coronavirus.

"All states and territories again reaffirmed their support for Victoria in providing whatever resources they needed to deal with the outbreak in Victoria," Mr Morrison said.

That was 2 months ago.

Today? Victoria recorded 41 new cases overnight. NSW 4.

NSW has higher risks with keeping their state open, but better outcomes.

What would Victorias position be today if in the last two months it had built up contact/trace/test and outbreak response capacity to match NSW???

What have they exactly been doing for 2 months?

It would appear relative to risk fuck all, except reactive closures. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Ohhh you poor thing, you had a pay cut. Don't worry you have less of an opportunity to spend the money.

The wusses are the one who are happy to let Dictator Dan take responsibility for them. 

If we open up, then the Government can stop Job Keeper and the businesses have to get back to earning their own money.
Tell me. If we open up who is going to be at risk?

Have you even thought about it much?

It's not just the people in aged care. 

It's anyone that works with the public face to face hand to hand. AND THEIR CONTACTS.

Are you such a one? Really.

How much face to face contact do you have with the general public?

And anyone of you that advocates for halting restrictions before we have controlled daily new cases to a manageable, traceable number. ? .

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne

I don't understand your view of cutting Jobseeker and Jobkeeper.

I do understand tightening up Jobkeeper to ensure it's actually going to those that are employed but cant work.

And Jobseeker increases ? should have increased unemployment benefits a long time ago. No one can live at the usual rate. 

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
I don't understand your view of cutting Jobseeker and Jobkeeper.

I do understand tightening up Jobkeeper to ensure it's actually going to those that are employed but cant work.

And Jobseeker increases ? should have increased unemployment benefits a long time ago. No one can live at the usual rate. 
They're certainly not gonna view scomo positively if he throws them on the scrap heap.....

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
Victoria's top public health official has hit back at suggestions Victoria's contact tracing team is understaffed.....

Very believable source.  :lol:

Maybe the states that offered assistance to Victoria did something different?

This article when July 10 Victoria recorded 288 new cases – the largest daily infection rate recorded to that date.

Same day NSW 14 where 13 returned travellers in quarantine the other from Albury. 

Victoria's contact tracing system to be bolstered after string of failures.

"Victoria's contact tracing system will be bolstered after being overwhelmed beyond capacity, with some people waiting nearly two weeks for confirmation they could have been exposed to coronavirus.

"All states and territories again reaffirmed their support for Victoria in providing whatever resources they needed to deal with the outbreak in Victoria," Mr Morrison said.

That was 2 months ago.

Today? Victoria recorded 41 new cases overnight. NSW 4.

NSW has higher risks with keeping their state open, but better outcomes.

What would Victorias position be today if in the last two months it had built up contact/trace/test and outbreak response capacity to match NSW???

What have they exactly been doing for 2 months?

It would appear relative to risk fuck all, except reactive closures. 
Overwhelmed beyond capacity.

For fucking sure

Behind the curve for track and trace.

For fucking sure.

What other state had a similar increase in cases which caused that situation?

What other state had similar local transmission rates?

Comparing Victoria's situation to another states totally different situation is fine. Expecting to be taken seriously when you make that comparison? No fucking way.

The rate of community spread in Victoria took the "experts" by surprise. 

It should not have.

The rhetoric around "failures" in track and trace is political commentary.