Aussie Government blow it (Again)

What's your plan for the vulnerable?

I'd say it's you sticking your head up your arse, or should I say  in your company books.

You've had months to think about this, I assume you HAVE thought about this.

Months longer than state premiers had to make plans.

What's the PLAN?

Because to open up without a plan for the vulnerable, would be more irresponsible than Dan Andrews using security guards in Quarantine hotels wouldn't it?

There's 610,000 workers over the age of 65 in Australia.

I have no idea how many Australian workers with serious health issues Compromised immunity, heart issues, lung issues, diabetes?. Probably over 5%

Whats your plan for them? @The Dark Knight
Meli. Whilst we dont have a vaccine, for this virus, which for the most part is deadly to the elderly and compromised, myself and my mother being in that group, but is otherwise not a fucking death sentence to the rest of us - the rest of Australia seems to have worked it out.  Dan.  Not so much. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
reconcile your bum with my foot
You and your religion don't disappoint.

Start with a robust and proven plan for everyone. It's called CTT which for some unknown reason you refuse to entertain.

Actually the reason is known. To entertain it puts the spotlight on Victorias CTT abject failure and questions about its capacity even today. 

Last edited by a moderator:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
And I reckon that now Emperor McGowan is overreaching. We have a critical worker shortage in regional WA, especially leading into horticultural and broadacre farming harvest. Unemployed Perthites have it so good on Jobseeker that they're not interested in moving to the regions for the harvest jobs. Some farmers, mostly in horticulture in southern half of the state, are already plowing their crops into the ground. There will be more. Once broadacre harvest gets going part of the problem will be getting the harvest off farm coz there also ain't enough truckies to go truck the harvest to port. State Govt has known about this for months and only early last month started to do something about it. Too little too late imo.

And it's not just ag jobs going begging. Now that it's starting to warm up north of Perth more people are heading south. However there are not enough people willing to take up the many hospitality jobs going begging that some businesses are deciding to reduce the number of days that they're open. It's a dangerous negative feedback loop for the regions  and one that played out in the northern dry season. I for one am used to just rocking up at most places for a meal. I know now that for the places I like to go to that I need to book a table a few days in advance. I know...1st world probs and all that, however if Emperor McGowan decided to back down from his stubborn stance re the border, especially vis a vis SA & NT, then maybe these issues wouldn't be so bad.

</rant>
Jobseeker doesn't prevent the unemployed persons recruitment person (who get paid enormous amounts of tax payers money to place these people) from setting up interviews . They placed my boy in April and he's still working.

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Jobseeker doesn't prevent the unemployed persons recruitment person (who get paid enormous amounts of tax payers money to place these people) from setting up interviews . They placed my boy in April and he's still working.
The problem is that the Jobseekers are in Perth and the jobs are in the regions.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Meli. Whilst we dont have a vaccine, for this virus, which for the most part is deadly to the elderly and compromised, myself and my mother being in that group, but is otherwise not a fucking death sentence to the rest of us - the rest of Australia seems to have worked it out.  Dan.  Not so much. 

I get it. People need to get back to work.

But that can't happen without either a vaccine or a plan to protect/support those who simple can't risk going to work or even out into a covid ridden community. somewhere in the region of 1 million workers..PLUS those in aged care .think about that. 

Come on guys? you want to open up..what's the fucking plan?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The problem is that the Jobseekers are in Perth and the jobs are in the regions.
Provisions in the "mutual obligation" agreement more or less can force many unemployed to move, especially the young without dependents. I looked it up :)

Pipped me. :)

I get it. People need to get back to work.

But that can't happen without either a vaccine or a plan to protect/support those who simple can't risk going to work or even out into a covid ridden community. somewhere in the region of 1 million workers..PLUS those in aged care .think about that. 

Come on guys? you want to open up..what's the fucking plan?
So a continual cycle of lockdowns until there is a vaccine ? Do you really think our society can function in that situation ? Lockdowns, Meli, are but one tool in controlling a pandemic - but it should not be your only tool - and it becomes the only tool when incompetence is your only other choice.  The rest of Australia has worked this shit out - why is it so hard for Victoria?  Ask yourself - why?

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Far out, talking about not paying attention...just looked at the JHU Coronavirus map for first time in a couple of weeks and it looks like the US is heading into 3rd wave.

I knew the situation in Europe was heading in the wrong direction but the US is heading into a very dark winter.

Edit: Talking about dark winters - Russia numbers going through the roof, France & Spain jumped above 1m cases, UK above 850k with daily numbers above 20k.  So glad I decided to stay living in WA 30 years ago.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Have the mutual obligations come back into play since end of September? Must admit haven't paid a lot of attention to it coz it doesn't affect me or anyone close to me. Had a bit of other stuff on, hence why I haven't hung out here much either recently.
yep, they are still organising interviews when they can find some employment here. and yes one has to comply even for the most unsuitable work or risk your benefits

But you must have unemployed people in Albany?

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
yep, they are still organising interviews when they can find some employment here. and yes one has to comply even for the most unsuitable work or risk your benefits

But you must have unemployed people in Albany?
Don't know what the number is but whatever the number is many businesses are reporting that they're finding it incredibly difficult to find people to fill the jobs. There's plenty unemployed in Perth but not willing to move. Problem there also is that the rental vacancy rate around the State is very low, including here in Albany, like below 1%.  So even if an unemployed Perthite was offered a job here they likely would find it hard to find somewhere to live!!!

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
So a continual cycle of lockdowns until there is a vaccine ? Do you really think our society can function in that situation ? Lockdowns, Meli, are but one tool in controlling a pandemic - but it should not be your only tool - and it becomes the only tool when incompetence is your only other choice.  The rest of Australia has worked this shit out - why is it so hard for Victoria?  Ask yourself - why?
You're just evading the question. We've discussed the issues in Victoria ad nauseum 

What is your plan for victoria going ahead right now.?

Come on guys, put your money where your mouths is.

You've been so great at knowing better than Dan A and his medical people.

What's your alternative and how will you protect the vulnerable?

It's really a Federal issue for the whole country, but since we have the biggest problem here.. give us a fix.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Don't know what the number is but whatever the number is many businesses are reporting that they're finding it incredibly difficult to find people to fill the jobs. There's plenty unemployed in Perth but not willing to move. Problem there also is that the rental vacancy rate around the State is very low, including here in Albany, like below 1%.  So even if an unemployed Perthite was offered a job here they likely would find it hard to find somewhere to live!!!
exactly and I suspect the wages and work on offer would not exactly attract the people the locals wanted to employ either.

No one wants to employ someone that doesn't want to be there and you can make someone turn up, but you cant make em work.

Is this a problem that's any different to "normal" times?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Far out, talking about not paying attention...just looked at the JHU Coronavirus map for first time in a couple of weeks and it looks like the US is heading into 3rd wave.

I knew the situation in Europe was heading in the wrong direction but the US is heading into a very dark winter.
USA never really finished the first wave...yeah, it's looking really grim for them.

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
exactly and I suspect the wages and work on offer would not exactly attract the people the locals wanted to employ either.

No one wants to employ someone that doesn't want to be there and you can make someone turn up, but you cant make em work.

Is this a problem that's any different to "normal" times?
Part of the problem, as far as I see it, is that here in WA Jobseeker is a brake on our economy. There's not enough incentive to go find work when you get $815 pf if single and no kids on Jobseeker. If the Fed Govt could stop the Coronavirus supplement for WA then the problem would be reduced, but they can't.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Part of the problem, as far as I see it, is that here in WA Jobseeker is a brake on our economy. There's not enough incentive to go find work when you get $815 pf if single and no kids on Jobseeker. If the Fed Govt could stop the Coronavirus supplement for WA then the problem would be reduced, but they can't.
so who usually take these jobs? Jobseeker is now only paying about $125 per week more than before.

And that rate was way way too low to live on.

The problem you have seems to be pretty common all over rural australia..

You can't really blame people for not being willing to move (with associated costs) for  piecework or  casual wages when the rents are just as high or higher. How much are these jobs paying? I don't seriously think that the covid supplement is part of the issue.

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
FB_IMG_1603636517991.jpg