Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers

Jono

Super Anarchist
Marine Auctions has Atomic at $3,000. It looks like a pretty complex twilighter but would it make a good donor boat? Looks like it has everything current. Does it have any history?

Fintho

Tasmania
Marine Auctions has Atomic at $3,000. It looks like a pretty complex twilighter but would it make a good donor boat? Looks like it has everything current. Does it have any history?
I just don't see why anyone would want it? Sooooo complex and expensive to maintain just for twilights, and its not like Aus is renowned for it's inshore racing scene other than tp52's, so why bother? Just doesn't seem to have a niche to excel in.  Same story for the Int.12m Gretel II in Hobart, no competition, and only gets raced once/year, if at all, yet costs 100's of thousands to maintain. 

Fintho

Tasmania
But G11 is just so pretty to look at!

Mind you as excrew (when she was racing as a 12) she is looks much better from the deck of another boat!

That girl could really hurt people!
I agree, by far the prettiest boat in town, every time I walk past I have to take a minute to stare.

I just wish I could see her out on the water more often for twilight's, or the harbour racing series etc... 

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
43817072_1998185806904267_3724162221056458752_n.jpg

43604431_1998186910237490_1723490223205122048_n.jpg

43604412_1998186180237563_2380941160924315648_n.jpg

3 years ago now... I briefly got ahead of her in the Elliott 7... was a beautiful day, and Gretel stole the show (but not the race).

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
I agree, by far the prettiest boat in town, every time I walk past I have to take a minute to stare.

I just wish I could see her out on the water more often for twilight's, or the harbour racing series etc... 
It is a shame - I helped look after her, and skippered her for a few years in Sydney with the owner away, and we took her out every Friday with the RSYS, and also did the SASC Sundays and spinnaker Winter series. Mind you by the end of each season I was a quivering wreck, sailing a 32 tonne 12 metre around Sydney Harbour amongst idiots - a lot of them people wanting to come close to have a look!

Best memory is one afternoon race we had to do an emergency gybe to avoid a humpback mother and calf off Shark Island - that was fun under spinnaker in a reasonable westerly

Hopefully once lockdown is over the owner and some of us Sydney regulars will get down there more often. We always have a blast when we're there - open water, very little traffic.

Fintho

Tasmania
Hopefully once lockdown is over the owner and some of us Sydney regulars will get down there more often. We always have a blast when we're there - open water, very little traffic.
So uhhhh, need someone to crank some winches and pack kites when that happens?

Jono

Super Anarchist
It is a big boat family. They own a Volvo 65, the Queen of Auckland racing from 30s to 60s - Ranger, and this boat Innismara. Plus an internationally recognised boatyard.

Innismara was rescued and rebuilt to save a cool boat and give the apprentices wooden boat experience. Well known as a quick boat downwind - one of the early downwind planers. Nickname is The Pencil.

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
You buying it Jase? Looks like it has head room! Can always up the statistics... You know... taller rig, bigger prodder deeper keel ;)
There’s only one problem… it’s twice my budget, twice the length, in NZ and it’s a yacht. OK… four problems.

If the wife found out I bought that instead of the motor cruiser I’ve been promising/looking for I’d need the boat to also be “live aboard.”

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
It is a big boat family. They own a Volvo 65, the Queen of Auckland racing from 30s to 60s - Ranger, and this boat Innismara. Plus an internationally recognised boatyard.

Innismara was rescued and rebuilt to save a cool boat and give the apprentices wooden boat experience. Well known as a quick boat downwind - one of the early downwind planers. Nickname is The Pencil.
Isn’t the other nickname The War Canoe? That’s worth the $80k all by itself?

Latest posts