Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
You guys must be SO proud!

50B3E18D-C6FF-4FA7-9FE3-E2A4814FC08A.jpeg

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Hopefully he won't be as long lived as his mum and dad.

Sadly it seems that many people in his family lived well beyond their best by date, but there's always hope.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Thanks, Sloop, but I was looking for a serious answer from the Aussies....
I was only partly being snarky Billy - the only purpose the Monarchy serves them (and us and the UK) is to provide a beacon or focus for national stability and continuity.

Because political leaders can never have the top job, it helps somewhat to keep them humble and in their place.

God knows it's a flawed system but it does serve a purpose.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
God knows it's a flawed system but it does serve a purpose.
Quite honestly I think the reason that the Brits still have a monarch is the same reason that USAens voted for Trump.

Most people's lives are so impoverished both emotionally and financially and they can't find any solution to that vexing situation. So in order to feel good about themselves, they ally themselves with a monarch, a execrable politician, a sports team or figure, a celebrity or whatever. They alleviate their misery by identifying with somebody they perceive as successful. They go whole hog in this identification by wearing team colors, MAGA hats, sporting national flags etc., so they can feel as close as possible to whomever they identify with. The more fanatic they are, the closer they feel to the object of their affection (or affliction if you prefer), thereby giving some meaning to their otherwise pitiful existence.

Back in the day when kings and queens held tremendous power, people pretty much had to be loyal to their liege. Nowadays there is no requirement for that but because we live in a big, frightening, confusing world with 7.8 billion others, people need to feel they belong to something and somebody, the more important the better, to alleviate their anxiety and feelings of insignificance.

I haven't seen any studies, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the people who are the most vociferous in support of the British monarchy share many of the same views as supporters of Trump. Or the Kardashians. Or the Dallas Cowboys, etc.

The vast majority of people in the world are followers, not leaders. They crave security, acceptance and a need to belong. Idolizing people in positions of power goes a long way to meeting these needs and is relatively easy to do.

vibroman

Super Anarchist
Um….No. Ed
I neither crave security, need acceptance from others or Idolize anyone. I am not emotionally or financially impoverished ( although a new boat in the offing may change the latter) I support no politicians (they are all as bad as each other) I do however respect the Institution of the Monarchy and the tremendous work for good the previous monarch performed. I will give the current Monarch my respect too unless he does something to lose it.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Um….No. Ed
I neither crave security, need acceptance from others or Idolize anyone. I am not emotionally or financially impoverished ( although a new boat in the offing may change the latter) I support no politicians (they are all as bad as each other) I do however respect the Institution of the Monarchy and the tremendous work for good the previous monarch performed. I will give the current Monarch my respect too unless he does something to lose it.

Same here; and I never understood the Fanboy BS about violent brawling with others over whose football-soccer-basketball-whatever team is better than another....

EDIT - I disagree about supporting politicians. When a monster like Trump is on the ballot, I will wholeheartedly support the opposing side...

Last edited:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Same here; and I never understood the Fanboy BS about violent brawling with others over whose football-soccer-basketball-whatever team is better than another....

EDIT - I disagree about supporting politicians. When a monster like Trump is on the ballot, I will wholeheartedly support the opposing side...
I agree - it's curious that the most crazy and violent sportsfans are Latinos and they are a lot less monarchist than the Brits.

I never heard of British soccer hooligans murdering referees after a loss so maybe Liz served a purpose right there. ;)

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Um….No. Ed
I neither crave security, need acceptance from others or Idolize anyone. I am not emotionally or financially impoverished ( although a new boat in the offing may change the latter) I support no politicians (they are all as bad as each other) I do however respect the Institution of the Monarchy and the tremendous work for good the previous monarch performed. I will give the current Monarch my respect too unless he does someth

I concur absolutey.

However I understand where Ed is coming from. As Einstein said, The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Serious question, I'm not trolling here...

Why do Aussies want or need a "Monarch"?
Well, they are among the only pollinators of the Asclepias family of plants.... (AKA Milkweed), which are beautiful, and also very important to other species as food (The Milkweed, not the butterflies).... But their migratory pattern is also incredibly astounding (The butterflies, not the Milkweed). Much like the Swallows of Capistrano, but more magnificent really...
1662930605501.png

1662930621136.png

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Worth a good look:

What was the old saying? Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The potential is there in any form of governance. Be it Monarchy or republic. The list shows good examples.

The thing is to have checks and balances, everyone expect that they are respected, and if not, then they are enforced without fear or favour.

As an Australian, I have never been “under” any other royal, so it felt a bit weird and un natural to heard Charles proclaimed our king. Even more so, because the queen was a good dutiful sort with great dignity and warmth, whereas Charles is a well intentioned pompous twat. And then there is Andrew…..

If we haven’t already, we must be coming up fast to the point where the majority of Australians have little or no English ancestry, none in me, so it seems even less relevant. I lived and worked in the UK for over 30 years, and always felt, mostly good naturedly, second class, always a “convict” or worse with no UK ancestry, a “refugee”. UK pensions paid out to UK retirees and those like me, who earned them, and choose to live pretty much anywhere in the “beloved” Commonwealth outside the UK are also second class. I will never forget how quickly the UK ditched the Commonwealth to get into the EU, and then used the Commonwealth as one of the reasons for Brexit. Imperial arrogance.

I feel no natural allegiance to foreign royalty, yet if I look to the USA as an example of Republican behaviour, I don’t want to go there either, and fear that Australia, kingdom or not, is copying that behaviour.

“As Einstein said, The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

@SloopJonB I saw plenty of ugly tribalism, hooliganism and violence at UK soccer matches, it is just that they didn’t have guns….

Last edited:

Merrill Levi

Anarchist
I 'think' the Aus love affair was with QEII, not the Monarchy. KCIII & his wife will be endured until William takes the throne, but until William gets into the big chair there will be many breaks from Aussie ties to Britain & probably will not be many left if KCIII is as long lived as his parents.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I 'think' the Aus love affair was with QEII, not the Monarchy. KCIII & his wife will be endured until William takes the throne, but until William gets into the big chair there will be many breaks from Aussie ties to Britain & probably will not be many left if KCIII is as long lived as his parents.

Thanks Merrill!! What exactly are Aussies' ties to the Crown? Do you pay royalty to the royals? Are there any costs and/or benefits? And what's the beef with KCIII vs. his son William?

I imagine in the olden days, they gave you protection and security from real or perceived enemies. But since you and NZed are both part of the UKUSA Agreement, including Canada, we all five share security intel and are bound to protect one another.

I am just a lame, uninformed Seppo, but this constant 24-7 pomp and circumstance is becoming extremely boring and overdone. I have heard the same royals quotes over and over and over again, ad nauseum...:sleep:

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
This is the thing, Billy..... The Ozzies, and the Kiwis and the Brits all have a common language. It's called "Cockney".
It's damned near impossible for a normal person with half decent teeth to understand, much less pronounce.
You have to watch "Mary Poppins" and listen to Dick Van Dyke to get the initial gist of it, then tune in to Eliza Doolittle in any one af a million versions of "My Fair Lady" to get the second lesson.... For your final test, listen to that idiot TV chef..... The Hell's Kitchen guy....
Then you'll have a basic understanding of why these blokes stand shoulder to shoulder against the world.