Australian Sailing

And I know a captain who suffered a dead starter motor on a maxi yacht on the way back from Hawaii one year... Started a 400 horse Perkins with a jury rigged rope back to the primary winch and 4 blokes on the coffee grinders...
The best investment I’ve ever made was a Noco emergency battery booster, $170. I bought it for my Ktm dirt bike which has chronic starter problems with no kick start. Starts my boats Kubota 28 hp easily and I’ve used it on cars several times. It holds a charge for ages and will give several starts from one charge. 

Ah, my favourite hobby horse!

I know people claim to be time poor,  but newish sailor who do the jump at the end of every long race as soon as the first hangover sets in annoy me.  I know I'm getting old and grumpy but how many of these guys (& gals but mainly guys) turn up for all the lead up races and work days?

The next problem then becomes "well I'm an experienced sailor now I've done X Hobarts & other long races, I should be a steerer".  When they have never had any experience on the helm, because they have never done the deliveries to learn.

Does no-one do an apprenticeship these days?

Last edited by a moderator:

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Should prob sort those issues out on sign on day, not at the after party Tubby! There doesn’t seem to be many young un’s dying to do the bow these days. 

Should add, driving is the best part. Give em 30 mins when you’re not under kite & won’t tip out. Might mean they come back again. 

Last edited by a moderator:

DtM

Super Anarchist
Out of the Office

I know people claim to be time poor,  but newish sailor who do the jump at the end of every long race as soon as the first hangover sets in annoy me.  I know I'm getting old and grumpy but how many of these guys (& gals but mainly guys) turn up for all the lead up races and work days?

The next problem then becomes "well I'm an experienced sailor now I've done X Hobarts & other long races, I should be a steerer".  When they have never had any experience on the helm, because they have never done the deliveries to learn.

All the older guys used to sleep in the cockpit on the delivery and let the youngun's drive.

No apprenticeship, I am already a rock star ... get off my lawn youngun's. With you Tubby, another grumpy old man !!!

LB 15

Cunt
Thank god for AS and the CYCA - the future of offshore yacht racing is now secured:

As the Northern Hemisphere completes its turn at the sailing season, and transitions to end-of-year holiday pastimes, the sun shifts to the Southern Hemisphere when the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race on Boxing Day takes centre stage.

Eager to roar again after the pandemic-induced cancellations in 2020, the national federation for Australia, Australian Sailing, has sharpened the focus for teams riding on 60+ foot yachts. Titled the Australian Maxi Championship, the inaugural series in 2021 will be December 3-7 out of Sydney Harbour.

With 157 entrants for the 2019 Sydney Hobart, it is the maxis that attract the greatest attention on the 628nm course, and now the Australian Maxi Championship will offer four races featuring Maxis (80-100 foot), Mini Maxis (60-79 foot), and Racer Cruisers (60 foot+).

Hosted by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, the inaugural Australian Maxi Championship looks to provide additional valuable racing for Maxis and Racer Cruisers in the build-up to the offshore test to Hobart.

"There will be great racing pedigree across the three divisions for the 2021 series, such as nine-time Rolex Sydney Hobart Line Honours winner Wild Oats XI," said Noel Cornish AM, CYCA Commodore. "We look forward to working with Australian Sailing and the fleet to lay a solid foundation for what will be an entertaining series for years to come."

David Griffith AM, CYCA Director and owner of the JV 62 Whisper, believes the series will have a positive impact on the future of sailing in Australia.

"The Australian Maxi Championship is a fantastic initiative of Australian Sailing and the CYCA," Griffith said. "As most major yachting centres in the world hold such events, it is timely for Sydney to host one for our big boats that will gather together just before the 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race.

"The spectacle of these big boats will be instrumental in raising interest in ocean racing and will inspire young sailors to aim to be part of this scene."
Sounds like a cracker of an idea. Will they have a two handed division do you think?

LB 15

Cunt

Ah yes these young people to day. Back in the day we would sail through a gale in our taft plastic jackets, eat the homing pigeons and take turns to roger the bow boy in the forepeak after a few tots of rum.

But will the young people today listen to you?

Noooooooooooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Thank god for AS and the CYCA - the future of offshore yacht racing is now secured:

As the Northern Hemisphere completes its turn at the sailing season, and transitions to end-of-year holiday pastimes, the sun shifts to the Southern Hemisphere when the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race on Boxing Day takes centre stage.

Eager to roar again after the pandemic-induced cancellations in 2020, the national federation for Australia, Australian Sailing, has sharpened the focus for teams riding on 60+ foot yachts. Titled the Australian Maxi Championship, the inaugural series in 2021 will be December 3-7 out of Sydney Harbour.

With 157 entrants for the 2019 Sydney Hobart, it is the maxis that attract the greatest attention on the 628nm course, and now the Australian Maxi Championship will offer four races featuring Maxis (80-100 foot), Mini Maxis (60-79 foot), and Racer Cruisers (60 foot+).

Hosted by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, the inaugural Australian Maxi Championship looks to provide additional valuable racing for Maxis and Racer Cruisers in the build-up to the offshore test to Hobart.

"There will be great racing pedigree across the three divisions for the 2021 series, such as nine-time Rolex Sydney Hobart Line Honours winner Wild Oats XI," said Noel Cornish AM, CYCA Commodore. "We look forward to working with Australian Sailing and the fleet to lay a solid foundation for what will be an entertaining series for years to come."

David Griffith AM, CYCA Director and owner of the JV 62 Whisper, believes the series will have a positive impact on the future of sailing in Australia.

"The Australian Maxi Championship is a fantastic initiative of Australian Sailing and the CYCA," Griffith said. "As most major yachting centres in the world hold such events, it is timely for Sydney to host one for our big boats that will gather together just before the 2021 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race.

"The spectacle of these big boats will be instrumental in raising interest in ocean racing and will inspire young sailors to aim to be part of this scene."
I'm already inspired by the event announcement. I might start up a new thread "Aussie Maxi Championships boats".

The CYCA has killed the 2 handed aspect of "Aussie club/ocean racers" thread.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Ah yes these young people to day. Back in the day we would sail through a gale in our taft plastic jackets, eat the homing pigeons and take turns to roger the bow boy in the forepeak after a few tots of rum.

But will the young people today listen to you?

Noooooooooooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Wasn't Sportscar  a bow boy in the 70's?

DELETED

Anarchist
This is just fucking ridiculous - no surprises then that AS is involved!

5 hours motoring in bad weather is going to get you precisely nofuckingwere.  But in a diesel powered boat that runs out of fuel, another boat can assist by approaching close enough to throw a line and use that to transfer a jerrycan of juice.  How the fuck do you do the equivalent with an electric drive?

Have any of these useless cunts ever been in a storm at sea?

I can only assume that MA is building a new boat with electric drive ...

If we all just work 2Gev4.... :-D

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I am not since retiring. And I am doing the delivery from Airlie to Hammo. I pull my weight. Are you in for Airlie?
How selfless!

Well done you, claiming an easy daysail reach amongst tropical islands as a delivery. Hey, it's not like you would have had to take a boat to get to the Island anyway.

Hang on, yes it is. 

Forget hiding behind flinders with fuck all to do while the rum runs out. Do the hard yards from Airlie to Hammo instead. Taking one for the team.

Spoonie

Anarchist
Sydney
random. said:
Really pleased to see you adjusting your deliveries to your age mate.

Watch out for the charters, and if you want a quiet anchorage, Cid Harbour is my recommendation, the tourists apparently think that sharks board boats and stay away!  Quiet as and it's a half way rest up for you.
Where T.F is Cid Harbour?   I mean, i grew up halfway between brisbane and hammo, thought I had sailed to most places on that strip of coast.  Never heard of Cid Harbour.

Gladstone or Keppel would be about half way.   A few sharks, and less crocs but just as many box jellies as Airlie...

pulpit

Super Anarchist
I am not since retiring. And I am doing the delivery from Airlie to Hammo. I pull my weight. Are you in for Airlie?
LB,

This is just another reason that you won your first Nobel Peace Prize for sailing and world peace. 

All you need now is GRS to nominate you for a knighthood and a AM.

May I ask what boat your delivering ?

Pulpit