Australian Sailing

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
So apparently golf clubs are experiencing a near 50% upswing in membership due mostly to their national body getting on the front foot and getting in place protocols and lobbing the govment so they are allowed to continue operations. Meanwhile over at Australian Failing?????

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
So apparently golf clubs are experiencing a near 50% upswing in membership due mostly to their national body getting on the front foot and getting in place protocols and lobbing the govment so they are allowed to continue operations. Meanwhile over at Australian Failing?????
Yes indeed - they are down to groups of 2 playing, so getting a booking is very hard! My brother plays at 3 or 4 courses near Wollongong - always one has a hit off time!

There should be some ability to have races if no gathering at clubs. Particularly if vaccinated.

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
Yes indeed - they are down to groups of 2 playing, so getting a booking is very hard! My brother plays at 3 or 4 courses near Wollongong - always one has a hit off time!

There should be some ability to have races if no gathering at clubs. Particularly if vaccinated.
Groups of 2 you say? So 2 handed yacht racing (assuming MA approves), maybe it will catch on and just about every dinghy?

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
Reading this topic, and ruminating on why we have AS, or more how did the clubs allow AS to happen, I have asked an old mate of mine (96) when he remembered things changing from club focussed to organisation focus, and he thought from the 1950s onwards.

So my club SASC turns 150 next year. I have been going through the abridged minutes since 1872 up to 1972, and a few things stick out. In 1872 they started with their own Racing Rules (which are very similar to the current RRS, except clearer).

In 1898 SASC joined the Sydney Sailing Council, but resigned to join NSW Amateur Sports Club in 1901. They joined the Sydney Yacht Racing Association in 1921, and made application to join the British Yacht Racing Association.

Fast forward to 1950 and YA NSW is formed, and everything gets bad. Firstly YANSW wants SASC to stop using the "A" prefix on sails Response from SASC - no.

In 1952 they want money to support Olympic sailing - £3000 per annum, and therefore levy each member - SASC says no. So YANSW try again in 1953 and 1954 and each time SASC disagrees.

In 1955 YANSW levy 5/. per member , but SASC replies that until you tell us what the money is to be used for, the answer is still no, but we will open a voluntary subscription list. YANSW lobbies for our support for a compulsory levy because there aren't enough voluntary contributions (I wonder why?).

1957 YANSW ask SASC where their 1956-57 levies are - again they're told if you tell us how you are spending the money we'll pay it to you.

1969 the 18footers agree to race under IYRU rules, and the same year YANSW try to make changes to their Constitution that would increase costs to members, so finally in 1970 a revised Constitution was adopted.

So a short history that shows it all started to go bad when YA was formed in 1950.

I have two pdfs if anyone is interested - one with the 1872 racing Rules, and another one with all the bullet points from 1872 to 1972.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Time to get everyone ready for next weeks news!

Will GRS be sent to Perth?

Will the Appeal Panel have to overrule previous decisions?

Will the CEO retire?

Will Aust sailing have to take a stand on the acceptance of race entries by clubs?

Will Australian Sailing ever find the Mould 11 certificate?

Will anyone everyone get to read the Canting Keelgate Report.

It is the start of a new year afterall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
I was beginning to wonder if you'd run out of puff.
GRS

Just giving the heads up of what is headed towards your desk in the next few weeks.

Besides seems like a whole new round of stupidity just kicked off.

And anyway, the Australian Sailing Queensland Yachting Championships are coming up and that always gives rise to some protests and appeals.

Last edited by a moderator: