Australian Sailing

LB 15

Cunt
This isn't the dumbest idea ever.

What makes someone 'crew'? If I'm not being paid, surely I'm a guest, not crew.

I like sailing - and sailing against other boats. But I'm not really a competitor, in the sense that I get anything if the boat I'm on wins. The owner is really the only competitor. I seem to remember being on board boats that have won stuff, but I don't have any trophys, or my name in any record books anywhere.

So why can't the owner register themselves as the only crew... but also have half a dozen guests on board? So the boat and the owner are competing, but the guests are just along for the ride? So the owner might chose to sail past an anchored boat at a particular time, but as a guest I'm just along to drink beer and pull the odd string.
Technically there are only two types of people besides the Master on a boat. 'Passengers' that take no part in the operation of the vessel and 'Crew' who do. AS need to amend their definitions to encompass all who boat. That way they can get a few bucks from anyone who gets on a ferry as well. It is fair given that they do just as much for a city cat passenger as they do for someone who races every weekend.

LB 15

Cunt
Arsehole owners, better be very talented sailors or they end up with no or inexperienced crews......
Nah there are plenty of absolute cunts who pay for good sailors to win them trophies. Pro's are basically hookers who sell their bodies to the highest bidder. There are a few guys at my old club that could tell you that a fuckwits cock tastes the same as a good guys. 

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Technically there are only two types of people besides the Master on a boat. 'Passengers' that take no part in the operation of the vessel and 'Crew' who do. AS need to amend their definitions to encompass all who boat. That way they can get a few bucks from anyone who gets on a ferry as well. It is fair given that they do just as much for a city cat passenger as they do for someone who races every weekend.
So does a passenger automatically become crew as soon as they hold a line? What about if I just sit on the side of the boat, and occasionally swap sides?

Boink

Super Anarchist
Nah there are plenty of absolute cunts who pay for good sailors to win them trophies. Pro's are basically hookers who sell their bodies to the highest bidder. There are a few guys at my old club that could tell you that a fuckwits cock tastes the same as a good guys. 
That's not the crew who I am talking about. Jizz suckers are everywhere, work, sport and will guzzle regardless.

Think the good quality amateur crew who actually make up the meat & potatoes of big boat sailing. Experienced and knowledgeable. But who are getting squeezed by family and partner pressure for their time and who extra hurdles and barriers means that they can get much better value shits & giggles by going surfing, kite surfing or a hundred other activities, without having to line the greedy pockets of AS and clubs who give nothing in return. 

Owners expect to pay for the privilege, but don't spread the Rort to those that silently enable..........

Between AS, SailSys and club rules its getting pretty hard to figure out if you're actually correctly entered.

Fleets are getting smaller, and every boat is struggling to find semi-regular amateur crew.

Soon we won't need handicaps as fleets get to 5 and under as you'll be able to predict the winner for the wind conditions, and every time a new boat joins they will either be 30 mins in front or behind the whole fleet due to a random handicap allocation. 

Fintho

Tasmania
Soon we won't need handicaps as fleets get to 5 and under as you'll be able to predict the winner for the wind conditions, and every time a new boat joins they will either be 30 mins in front or behind the whole fleet due to a random handicap allocation. 
Welcome to Hobart, where we always know who's gonna win. I'll give you a hint, the name sounds like midnight rambler

The clubs with mostly older age demographic members, who run Wags/Sags for their members, who have great difficulty getting regular "crew" ( more like helpers) onto their boats, that run their Social Sailing under ColRegs ( yes, we can, and, no, you dont have to use RRS) are issuing the Sail Pass for unlimited sails, and for 365 days.

nothing in the Rule 46 blurb, has any max  time limit, or min $ amount, so, why not!

just give out the SailPass for free!

besides, those that use ColRegs to sail, dont come under any rules prescriptions if not using RRS, ir Rule 46.

it's just Social Sailing, after all.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
The clubs with mostly older age demographic members, who run Wags/Sags for their members, who have great difficulty getting regular "crew" ( more like helpers) onto their boats, that run their Social Sailing under ColRegs ( yes, we can, and, no, you dont have to use RRS) are issuing the Sail Pass for unlimited sails, and for 365 days.

nothing in the Rule 46 blurb, has any max  time limit, or min $ amount, so, why not!

besides, those that use ColRegs to sail, dont come under any rules prescriptions if not using RRS, ir Rule 46.

Until lets say some directors of a badly run club need to cover up their own incompetence and start charging for everything to hide the losses.

LB 15

Cunt

The only problem with that is the IRPCS don't have a section for mark rounding. And if you are racing under the Col regs, it has nothing to do with AS so why would you need a sail pass?

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
The only problem with that is the IRPCS don't have a section for mark rounding. And if you are racing under the Col regs, it has nothing to do with AS so why would you need a sail pass?
What is there to stop a non-AS affiliated club from following the racing rules prescribed by WS.