Australian Sailing

I note in the other ‘Safety’ updates in what appears to be an attempt stamp their ‘Green Credentials’ onto the sport is AS’s total lowering of the safety standard bar to accomodate electric engined yachts.The previous rules appear to mainly sensibly accomodate diesel powered yachts which had a sensible recommendations for a average 50 ft yacht with a 50 hp engine to carry 111 litres of fuel at the start.Assuming what my Tech teachers taught us decades ago is still relevant that fuel burn for a diesel is approx .8 a litre per hour per 10 hp means about 28 hours of motoring at 7 knots gives a range of around 200 nm which should be enough to get you back to shelter if you were dismantled etc going in the Hobart Race.If you have a Electric Powered 50 foot yacht this is dumbed down to 5 Hours motoring at 7 knots i.e. only35 nm range.A look at past trackers on the great Hobart site and you very rarely see any yacht within 35 miles of land 12 hours into the race.Maybe they are banking on a yet to installed ‘Fast Charging Station’ on a moored pontoon in Bass Strait.A highly experienced ocean racing yachtsman who I am privileged to call a friend reckons the problem is now going to be compounded by now AS recently not having Trisails mandatory thus losing one of the key key tools to Jury Rig the yacht in case of a dismasting.Flame gently if my numbers are out.
Yeah but as long as you carry two of those plastic paddles you get from K-Mart with the kids blow up dinghy you should be able to paddle back to shore from 200nm off!!!!

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I hope that gave you a warm fuzzy feeling that AS have your best interests at heart
A tingle in my loins actually

So presume you now have a document that states your keel wont fall off ?
Yeah, I know, total BS from AS. 

I want to do some races that require it. At least I did it when the boat was out of the water for a bottom job. I’d hate to have to haul out just to satisfy AS’s requirements.

I'd hate to be the first person who did one of these thorough visual inspections on a keel that falls off.
perhaps they can sue AS. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
The AS attitude is contagious...just got a reminder from SYC that the upcoming Sail Sandy event is now taking entries..... Their big selling point? Enter now or cop the pain of the late entry fee!! FFS!! When are these people gunna start delivering a value proposition rather than more penalties? The recent Mordialloc Sailing Club's Victorian Dinghy Champs offered a similar event at a third of the price and with no late fees to encourage last minute entries....and threw in free sausage sizzles and a beverage!! And you could park!!! Some clubs are just up themselves and losing whatever touch they had with their constituencies...Time to call it out!

oneiron

For the edification of my fellow posters, the Invitation race for the Hobart Classics Regatta was yesterday - gusting 30, so race abandoned, but we had a full main up (before reefing) and close reaching across the Harbour, when a well known Hobart winning blue boat whose skipper we all love comes down on us from windward. I expect they will keep a good distance, but no, they cross our stern within 3 metres or so - in 30 knots on an empty Harbour. My call was "fuckwits", once or twice as well as "you didn't need to come so close" - their response was to laugh and say I should have called windward.

The interesting point to me is that had we collided at that speed, both yachts may have sunk. I think a classic Fife would be missed. 

Great display of seamanship.

Oh and in a way ironic that a harbour race for Hobart yachts is called off for 25 knots plus. Not criticising the call, just noting the irony. I think Kialoa II, Fidelis, Maris etc could have handled a run up to Manly and back!
So they missed you…… why bang on about it. Bone head. 

pulpit

Super Anarchist
For the edification of my fellow posters, the Invitation race for the Hobart Classics Regatta was yesterday - gusting 30, so race abandoned, but we had a full main up (before reefing) and close reaching across the Harbour, when a well known Hobart winning blue boat whose skipper we all love comes down on us from windward. I expect they will keep a good distance, but no, they cross our stern within 3 metres or so - in 30 knots on an empty Harbour. My call was "fuckwits", once or twice as well as "you didn't need to come so close" - their response was to laugh and say I should have called windward.

The interesting point to me is that had we collided at that speed, both yachts may have sunk. I think a classic Fife would be missed. 

Great display of seamanship.

Oh and in a way ironic that a harbour race for Hobart yachts is called off for 25 knots plus. Not criticising the call, just noting the irony. I think Kialoa II, Fidelis, Maris etc could have handled a run up to Manly and back!

Feelings were hurt, obviously. 
So do we need to get GRS involved to help sort this out and take control ?

After all we could sort out this problem out and maybe get a rule 69 as well as make GRS feel better   again ?

GRS doesn't care about anyones feels as long as he's OK and AS can look like they are taking control of sailing again and that Poster boy GRS looks great again.

Now Anyone  have some free red wine to say thanks / bribe our poster boy ? It just helps  to keep him on side for the next time we may need him and remember to say "thank you Don Corleone" and kiss his ring.

Pulpit 

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
GRS doesn't care about anyones feels as long as he's OK and AS can look like they are taking control of sailing again and that Poster boy GRS looks great again.

Now Anyone  have some free red wine to say thanks / bribe our poster boy ? It just helps  to keep him on side for the next time we may need him and remember to say "thank you Don Corleone" and kiss his ring.
Hang on… wasn’t it a bottle of red that saw Barry O’Farrell “step down” as Premier of NSW?

It’s an idea…

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
You may have missed the background - mccroc was entrusted to sail another person's boat, a classic Fife, with the owner not aboard.  That circumstance would make most people more nervous than sailing their own boat where the risk and responsibility is more certain.  Unnecessarily coming into close quarters in windy conditions isn't generally the hallmark of good seamanship when not racing, and I suspect that was the gist of mccroc's complaint.  I have no difficulty in empathising with his position, I would likely have been annoyed also.  

Calling him a "bone head" probably didn't ruin his day, but it doesn't reflect well on you - wait, will GRS lodge a complaint against me for saying that? 

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
The AS attitude is contagious...just got a reminder from SYC that the upcoming Sail Sandy event is now taking entries..... Their big selling point? Enter now or cop the pain of the late entry fee!! FFS!! When are these people gunna start delivering a value proposition rather than more penalties? The recent Mordialloc Sailing Club's Victorian Dinghy Champs offered a similar event at a third of the price and with no late fees to encourage last minute entries....and threw in free sausage sizzles and a beverage!! And you could park!!! Some clubs are just up themselves and losing whatever touch they had with their constituencies...Time to call it out!
VALUE PROPOSITION could be good boat name. 

Rum Monkey

Anarchist
have you mixed up sail sandy with sail melbourne? one is $50 entry and the other is $150