Australian Sailing

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
And why would the off the beach kite surfers.... that were introduced thru commercial Kite operations...choose to join a club? Anyone?
From their own numbers, participants outside the club membership outnumber those within...so again...clubs are struggling and pathways are being ignored...
Pathways...more fuckin pathways..."follow the yellow brick road to the magical land of Aus...sailing"

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
How much money do they waste on these ridiculous documents? You can definitely see where the CYCA gets their ideas from. Write as much bullshit as you can, so you can cover all of the "participants" so they can't breathe.

I must admit I feel like Dorothy - we're not in Kansas anymore. (PS: nod to above post for those short of comprehension)

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
I went looking for any trap belts that complied with the new rule coming into force next year.
I couldn't find any, just plenty of noise about the new rule.

But I also came across this https://d7qh6ksdplczd.cloudfront.net/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/09225334/M07-22-.pdf
It's a submission, I assume to WORLD SAILING, TO PUT BACK THE STARTING DATE ANOTHER TWO YEARS BECAUSE THERE ARE PRESENTLY NO COMPLYING BELTS.
Caps aren't shouting. I hit cap lock but it was worth shouting it anyway.

Be nice if AS could give some guidance

Stanno

Sydney
Just released. The Australian Sailing 2022-2024 Participation Plan. https://www.sailing.org.au/news/our-roadmap-for-growth-as-participation-and-membership-plan/

A couple of questions.
View attachment 539547
How can they have 250,000+ participants with only 100,000 members? And ...
View attachment 539551
What's the difference between a new participant, a re-engaging participant and a club member? It seems bizarre that a Participation Policy doesn't have a definition of participation.
IMG_0834.jpeg

The bit I'm intrigued about is that only about three weeks ago AS published its own participation figures for 2021/22 (pic attached), which showed a roughly 20% decline in that year from the year before (interesting given Covid conditions in 20/21) to a figure of 16294, and yet in the "Participation Plan" the Course Participation number is "20,000+". With a number if Clubs, my own included, handing back their Tackers Centre accreditation, it is going to be a challenge to elevate the stats from lower base.

Stanno

Sydney
And in the same report, AS identified that the Active Club Members totalled 72,450 ... not 100,000. Interesting there is some 50,000 unpaid or uncategorised members .... if one takes Active Club members as being members who race? or sail? its looking pretty grim ...

What I really don't understand though is why AS , having tracked, captured and published this info - and to be fair it is a reasonably transparent document now compared to how it was a couple of years ago - wouldn't use the accurate stats to set the base for their own Participation Plan?? Its just weird - if you are looking to report a big % growth rate, a lower "where we are now" might actually help that stat?

Anyway, lets just get folks on the water...

IMG_0960.jpeg

(p)Irate

Super Anarchist
And in the same report, AS identified that the Active Club Members totalled 72,450 ... not 100,000. Interesting there is some 50,000 unpaid or uncategorised members .... if one takes Active Club members as being members who race? or sail? its looking pretty grim ...

What I really don't understand though is why AS , having tracked, captured and published this info - and to be fair it is a reasonably transparent document now compared to how it was a couple of years ago - wouldn't use the accurate stats to set the base for their own Participation Plan?? Its just weird - if you are looking to report a big % growth rate, a lower "where we are now" might actually help that stat?

Anyway, lets just get folks on the water...

View attachment 539613
And noting that they include 4,789 Sail Pass holders in that 130,444 membership so that means that Sail Pass does not explain those mysterious extra 150,000 "participants."

Stanno

Sydney
Yes indeed. Also, bear in mind there the participant measure is not one of a unique individual - a participant could be recorded 3-5 times in a period if they say did a Discover Sailing Day, then Tackers 1,2 and 3, and did a powerboat course ..... the numbers of actual individual people playing this sport through courses is very opaque.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
And noting that they include 4,789 Sail Pass holders in that 130,444 membership so that means that Sail Pass does not explain those mysterious extra 150,000 "participants."

Probably people like me who own and use a sailboat, don't belong to a club, don't want to belong to a club if if means paying money to AS and otherwise go peacefully along ignoring those clowns.

Sure, they represent my interests. In some universe. Just not this one.

BTW I applaud you guys' efforts to keep this thread going...

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
^^^ That's a lot of sail pass registrants....and those kite surfers etc that get added into the numbers to bolster the figures when the sport goes begging the govt for more support...
remember, unlike Melbourne, elsewhere in Aus there are lots of places where you can keep your yacht without needing to be a member of a yacht club.

Also, I've noticed that up this way, some clubs seem to have sailing sub-groups and I suspect only sub-group members are reported to AS and thus are liable for affiliation fees to bloat the numbers

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
^^^Yep I get that TDK...it's just the way World Sailing...and AS.. has attempted (somewhat successfully) to take over the sail/kite board sports...having done nothing to establish or build the participation in those sports...and then claim them as "sailing participants". The large majority of these people (rightly) see absolutely no benefit in joining a club...but of course WS & AS are claiming them as "pathways" to the Lympix...

So earlier this year I asked who was going to be the first to get a DSQ for not filling out the crew lists/ sail pass crew.
Anyone?
Anyone?
I asked at one club here in WA what if I register 4 crew but take 8?
Answer was, we don’t have the people to go around and compare how many are actually on a boat versus how many you said.
Same club has members who downright refuse to do crew sign on and they don’t DSQ them.
Pretty pointless system.
But that’s what you expect from AS. So incompetent that they couldn’t organise a root in a brothel with a fistful of $50’s.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I heard that at the Sailing Victoria presentation evening this evening, that the local GM who ran the presentation was very unprofessional and even paid out on “my staff”.

42 South

Anarchist
Well GS and his cronies have stuffed sailing in Hobart for this season. Without any open consultation, they decided that they would do away with the AMS system and make ORC mandatory if you want to sail competitively.
They tried this with IRC a couple of years ago and ran both AMS and IRC - the average joe strongly favoured AMS.
Sure, AMS may not be as sophisticated as IRC/ORC, but it was a well accepted system that had wide support across the fleets and minimised owner costs.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Well GS and his cronies have stuffed sailing in Hobart for this season. Without any open consultation, they decided that they would do away with the AMS system and make ORC mandatory if you want to sail competitively.
They tried this with IRC a couple of years ago and ran both AMS and IRC - the average joe strongly favoured AMS.
Sure, AMS may not be as sophisticated as IRC/ORC, but it was a well accepted system that had wide support across the fleets and minimised owner costs.
I thought that was the clubs choice? That is how it worked in Melbourne. One club made the move to dump IRC for ORCc and the others followed suit. Now Melbourne clubs have ORCx, AMS & PHS

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Don’t you love how fuckwits that don’t spend their own after tax dollars to go sailing make those who do spend theirs.
AMS renewal was what AUD$ 75.00.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Don’t you love how fuckwits that don’t spend their own after tax dollars to go sailing make those who do spend theirs.
AMS renewal was what AUD$ 75.00.

I thought you'd voted with your feet (keel) and given racing away for a while?

We're hauling out in a week, be on the hard for somewhere between 2 weeks and a month depending on weather and my laziness. Kettering. Drop by if you're around.

FKT