Australian Sailing

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
So which one of those rules says 'the person in charge shall ...'?

Have you even searched the RRS for rules referring to the person in charge?

RRS_4.jpg

Brass

Super Anarchist
4 The person in charge of each boat shall ensure that all
competitors in the crew and the boat’s owner are aware of their responsibilities under this rule.

So that's what the person in charge is responsible for.

Thats nothing like responsibility to enforce any of the rules or regulations.

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
4 The person in charge of each boat shall ensure that all
competitors in the crew and the boat’s owner are aware of their responsibilities under this rule.

So that's what the person in charge is responsible for.

Thats nothing like responsibility to enforce any of the rules or regulations.
For me, if the person in charge makes the crew and owner aware of their responsibilities, and they do not then comply with a rule, then they have broken RRS4.1 (a) and 4.3 (a) and (b). They all get penalised, by the yacht being DSQd. So I don't think the word "enforce" is the correct word - I would say that the person in charge has a responsibility to make sure the crew "complies" with the rules, for everyone's sake.

I would compare it to seatbelts. If the driver tells the passenger to wear a seatbelt because that's the rule, and one passenger doesn't and the car is pulled over, then both the driver and the passenger can be penalised. So the driver has a responsibility to make sure the passenger complies for his own (wallet's) sake.

Brass

Super Anarchist
... I don't think the word "enforce" is the correct word
Thank you, that's what I'm driving at.

I would compare it to seatbelts. If the driver tells the passenger to wear a seatbelt because that's the rule, and one passenger doesn't and the car is pulled over, then both the driver and the passenger can be penalised. So the driver has a responsibility to make sure the passenger complies for his own (wallet's) sake.
That happens because the seatbelts law specifically does make the driver liable.

To say that the person in charge is responsible is like sending the captain of a rugby team off if one of his props makes a high tackle

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
Below is an extract from the RPAYC NoR & SI's:
3.9 The attention of Owners and/or Persons-in-Charge is drawn to RRS 46 Person in Charge and Crew
eligibility. RRS 46 is amended as follows:
(a) All persons on board that are not members of RPAYC, shall register for a RPAYC Sail Pass for
each day they compete in an event or a race that is organised by the club. SailPass registration
shall be made before the event or race starts. All required fields shall be completed.
3.10 A SailPass acquired at another Club, is not valid at RPAYC.
Now kudos to RPAYC because unlike some clubs they are not charging for SailPass as yet, however rule 3.9a is the bit I don't like, and it's the thing that I've heard a lot of other clubs are using to their advantage.

AS mandates that everyone who sails must be a member of an affiliated AS club or hold a sailpass. It seems most clubs have taken this further and modify their SI's to say anyone who is not a member of our club shall get a sailpass and some say we shall charge you for the privileged. Now pretty much everyone I've spoken to has said it's hard to get consistent crew and this isn't the way to fix the situation.

I doubt it's been tested yet but I know there's been instances on Port Philip Bay where people who are members of an AS affiliated club have been charged for sailing on a yacht from the club next door.

Who will be the first AS affiliated club member to take it further when charged to sail at another club?

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean

Now kudos to RPAYC because unlike some clubs they are not charging for SailPass as yet, however rule 3.9a is the bit I don't like, and it's the thing that I've heard a lot of other clubs are using to their advantage.

AS mandates that everyone who sails must be a member of an affiliated AS club or hold a sailpass. It seems most clubs have taken this further and modify their SI's to say anyone who is not a member of our club shall get a sailpass and some say we shall charge you for the privileged. Now pretty much everyone I've spoken to has said it's hard to get consistent crew and this isn't the way to fix the situation.

I doubt it's been tested yet but I know there's been instances on Port Philip Bay where people who are members of an AS affiliated club have been charged for sailing on a yacht from the club next door.

Who will be the first AS affiliated club member to take it further when charged to sail at another club?
And of course this was the true intent of Sailpass.
To allow big clubs to charge members of other clubs to play on their turf.
Much more revenue there than newbies to the sport.

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney

Must admit I can't give any club who does this kudos! But I do see what you mean.

What information is required to get a SailPass? Can you be anonymous - M Mouse, or D Duck?

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Notwithstanding it a cracker spring day in my part of the world, being a nerd and working away, which included reading some Australian Tax Office Rulings I can across TR 2022/2.
Concerns income tax and sporting clubs.
Draft Ruling for comment came out November 2021 and Final Ruling release on 14 September 2022.
I can't see any comments were made on the Draft Ruling from AS.
Guess that one slipped past GRS as the secretary of Australian Sailing as a "club focussed organisation".
The big clubs which pay most to AS will be the one most affected.
The Ruling is also retrospective.
At least the Lota Fishing and Fighting Club has some things to sell.
No doubt AS will say the financial affairs of the clubs are not our business (we just want their money)
Good times ahead.

Reactions: grs

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
I thought some of them hive off the marina to a seperate commercial company (maybe owned under the club's unbrella)
Which should be paying income tax as no longer tax exempt an not sufficient connection with competitive sport.
Just because it is club does not mean it is tax exempt.
It is about the connection with the sport.
Powerboating is not a competitive sport by the way.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Which should be paying income tax as no longer tax exempt an not sufficient connection with competitive sport.
Just because it is club does not mean it is tax exempt.
It is about the connection with the sport.
Powerboating is not a competitive sport by the way.

Haven't you seen all the big powerboat clowns leaving Great Bay after having lunch at the cheese place on a summer Sunday?

Looks pretty competitive to me as they firewall their throttles to run back home...

FKT