Australian Sailing

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Well when you are the company secretary of Australian sailing Ltd, and the World Sailing Judicial Committee recommends an investigation into your conduct in bringing a protest you should keep your head down.

and funnily enough when i looked a few days ago, the hyperlink to that decision no longer works.
Must be a lot of man hours pissed up against the wall sorting that storm in a tea cup out.
After reading through that lot I can’t believe AS membership fees are so low, the electricity bill alone for all those late night meetings must have been significant.

I assume this is the embarrassment to which you refer, or is there more?

Last edited:

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Super Anarchist

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
Instances of the plate steel hooks to be deforming under load.
Yes, exactly... :confused:
1667384921754.png

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Just to give a different perspective just brought all the safety equipment for a Hobart to Sydney passage in a powerboat and costs of mandatory equipment was less than $750. added another $1500 for items I considered prudent to discharge my Primary Safety Obligation under the AMSA national legislation. (Ground tackle already on board and AIS was already fitted to the vessel and while not mandatory but sensible)
AS Cat 2 for the same trip the other way last time I calculated it for the same size vessel was over $25 000.
Those people who go ocean racing must be very dangerous.

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
New tethers and spray hoods will just mean those boats that do a cat 4 race or two a year will now drop out of those races and those breakthough races to bigger races will now lose a fair number , and we will all become bay cruisers.
20 years ago I made a prediction that offshore racing would eventually be regulated out of existence. Looks like they’re right on track.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Have you guys heard of the Carboman 30 which is an class 30 one design offshore racer that was born out of an agreement between UNCL, RORC and the Storm Trysail Club to create an entry level one-design intended to make offshore racing accessible to a much greatest number of sailors?

The boat is a VPLP design and I’ve seen a price of £100 for the boat. Jeanneau has jumped on board and will be one of the builders.

Questions relevant to this thread.

Will AS rules make it unaffordable? And will the CYCA make it ineligible for the S2H?

It seems like the RORC and others are acting the opposite to AS.

Reactions: grs

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
So enlighten us why World Sailing is pushing this - I think most of the comments here are about the 5 hour change from 8 hours, not just allowing electric drives. I would be happy with electric drives being allowed in Cat 1 & 2 as long as they can prove to be as durable as diesel. So that may mean hybrid with a generator.

I don’t recall anyone pointing this, but as a requirement to enter the S2H, the electric powered cruising TP-52 is fitting a permanently mounted diesel generator.

I’m pretty sure that all the complaining about electric powered boats comes from the AS rules. So may the diesel gen requirement comes from the CYCA?

AB1E22C5-61A5-40BB-8A33-3319A00FA4F3.jpeg

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
I don’t recall anyone pointing this, but as a requirement to enter the S2H, the electric powered cruising TP-52 is fitting a permanently mounted diesel generator.

I’m pretty sure that all the complaining about electric powered boats comes from the AS rules. So may the diesel gen requirement comes from the CYCA?
Looked at the S2H NoR and the SRs - don't see where that statement comes from. The SRs say:
A separate generator for electricity is optional. However, when a separate generator is permanently installed it shall be securely covered, and shall have permanently installed exhaust and fuel supply systems and fuel tank(s).

From the S2H NoR:

Additions to AS Special Regulations Below are additional requirements to the AS Special Regulations: (a) Special Regulation 3.24.5(c): The minimum amount of engine fuel that shall be carried at the start of the race shall be at least Litres = LWL(metres)/0.135.

Maybe whoever they spoke to at the CYCA told them otherwise?

LB 15

Cunt
Well… you’ve met LB15?

Does his Keppel race kink count as ocean racing?
Of course not. Like the Hobart it is just a coastal passage race, not an ocean race. Ocean races cross oceans. But don't underestimate how dangerous the Keppel race can be. The Si's state that a PLB must be carried at all times when on deck, and a mouth guard once in the beer tent.