Author Salman Rushdie Stabbed on New York Stage

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I wonder how many people actually read The Satanic Verses?

When that whole Fatwah thing happened I got the definite feeling that it was another of those unreadable pieces of "literature" that trendy people all have on their coffee tables but no-one ever actually reads.

A sitting US Congressman was attacked with a knife last week in NY while giving a speech. Thanks to radical DemocRat Gov. Hochul the attacker was released the same day on her cashless bail law. Freed. The same day as he tried to assinate a member of Congress with a knife. This is our country. Or half of it anyway.

At least the FBI arrested him a few days later on federal charges.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River

When that whole Fatwah thing happened I got the definite feeling that it was another of those unreadable pieces of "literature" that trendy people all have on their coffee tables but no-one ever actually reads.
I read it a long time ago. I wasn't impressed, but the again, very little impressed me back then. I should probably re-read it now that I'm a little more tolerant, and less jaded.
I saw him once in Brattleboro. His security was so tight you could barely see him, and there have probably never before, or since been as many cops in Harmony parking lot at one time... I think he was going to "The book cellar" to sign copies of Satanic Verses at the time.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas

I enjoy reading and watching different dramas on the tube or a movie. What I don't like is gory gratuitous violence, never have, never will.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
What I don't like is gory gratuitous violence, never have, never will.
I don't like gore - never have but I quite enjoy some gratuitous violence.

We watched a Liam Neeson movie recently - "Taken" - basically a modernized 70's Kung Fu movie. It was entertaining but as I said to my wife, you'd have to slo-mo the whole thing to get an accurate body count. His character singlehandedly made a measurable reduction in the Albanian population of Europe. :)

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I enjoyed that movie, "Taken"! The violence was not gratuitious, IMHO. If they had drawn it out with blood, guts and gore, that is gratuitous. A friend recommended the series "Peaky Blinders", but too gory for me. Same with recent episodes of "Better Call Saul" that I used to like.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
I hate gory movies…..I dislike most war movies…….I dislike movies and TV where the central story is women being preyed upon by bad guy(s). As result…..I don’t go to many movies! 🤣

NYBOZO1

Anarchist
Saw the whole thing.

The creep was taken down by a ton of attendees who jumped onto the stage. They had him pinned down. The State Trooper got there about a minute after it started and actually made the arrest.

Basically, there was NO security around the stage. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Dennis Prager has spoken at the Chautauqua Institution. He reports that their security was pretty good. However, it's tough to secure an outdoor venue on an open campus, and bodyguards are damn expensive.

That being said, I'd have been watching a squirrelly little creep that looks like Hollywood's idea of an Iranian terrorist.

You are on your own. In self-defense unfriendly New York, I wouldn't hesitate to have a sturdy cane (old war wound from working bow on the Hobie 33, you know) by me at all times.

Last edited:

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
I have a friend who's family has property at Chaqutauqua and have visited a few times.

The people that live there want to live there because it's essentially a liberal hippy retreat, in a good way. Its on a nice lake, with gentle beaches, kids playing, is consummately walkable, and has lots of old houses and trees. They have very limited road access in the main 'town' area by area by intent, and have a summer full of concerts, guest speakers, etc, mostly on pretty academic topics.

To quote their website, "We are a community of artists, educators, thinkers, faith leaders and friends dedicated to exploring the best in humanity. Whether it’s your first time visiting or your fiftieth, our promise is the same: Wisdom will be gleaned. Memories will be made. Life will be enriched. Positive change is your charge."

That's basically their goal. When I was there, the security was always very light, by intent. Its an older crowd with lots of money who get regular visits from the grandkids. I'm sure it's shocking for everyone there.

Honestly, "Satanic Verses" is pretty 'artsy fartsy' in my opinion. I've only made it through some of the book and thought it was pretty much a slog. Ultimately, the book is an indictment of 18th century British colonialism. Without the Fatwa, I suspect the book would have faded into obscurity like so many other works. The controversial part is a small bit of the story. In essence, Rushdie - in a dream sequence - implies that the Quran was corrupted by Satan. That assertion has been made against every book of every branch of the Abrahamic trilogy. Stand in line man...a lot worse has been said.

I've heard Rushdie talk a few times and wish him a full recovery and I'm sorry for the people at Chaqutauqua.

Last edited: