Automatic transmission fluid changes in a car - not quite on schedule

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
What dipstick? I haven't had a car with a trans dipstick for a decade or two.

image.png

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
For what it it worth, I just had the tranny go out of a 6 year old Dodge minivan and when the woman who drives it said I have had the recommended transmission flush done the mechanic at the transmission shop said "never let anyone flush your transmission". Only cost me $3100 instead of the $5200 estimate from the dealer for a remanufactured one. 

vibroman

Super Anarchist
400-some thousand miles ... I would buy a new Tundra if I thought I could put that many miles on it. Did you get it new? Do you do the factory-service schedule yourself, dealer, or just ignore it?
No It had about 20K on it when I bought it. I have not done any of the factory BS service. Original plugs, brakes 2 or 3 sets,  2 sets of rotors. New rear wheel bearings at +-250K (Always towing or bed full of gear). Just oil and filter changes (based on oil condition so anywhere from 3.5K to 15K) Reg 5W30/10W30 Mineral oil (Castrol) and a good beta ratio filter (usually mobil 1)

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
For what it it worth, I just had the tranny go out of a 6 year old Dodge minivan and when the woman who drives it said I have had the recommended transmission flush done the mechanic at the transmission shop said "never let anyone flush your transmission".
Dodge trannys have been dodgy for a long time. No joke.

IStream

Super Anarchist
For what it it worth, I just had the tranny go out of a 6 year old Dodge minivan and when the woman who drives it said I have had the recommended transmission flush done the mechanic at the transmission shop said "never let anyone flush your transmission". Only cost me $3100 instead of the $5200 estimate from the dealer for a remanufactured one. 
To be fair, based on personal experience of N=3 plus a lot of online anecdotal evidence, 70K seems to be the design life for any Dodge/Chrysler minivan. If you get one with the towing package that includes a tranny cooler, you can eek out 100K.

mikewof

mikewof
No It had about 20K on it when I bought it. I have not done any of the factory BS service. Original plugs, brakes 2 or 3 sets,  2 sets of rotors. New rear wheel bearings at +-250K (Always towing or bed full of gear). Just oil and filter changes (based on oil condition so anywhere from 3.5K to 15K) Reg 5W30/10W30 Mineral oil (Castrol) and a good beta ratio filter (usually mobil 1)
I'm basically a Chevy guy, but the idea of having a full-sized truck that I can run for the rest of my life, with a half-decent Tundra, seems wonderful. And in general, I've found the Japanese vehicles to be a pleasure to work on.

But you may have hit the lotto on that truck, and your transmission oil may be the consistency of metallic pancake batter.

The prices on those Tundras here is nuts, I've never seen anything like it, it doesn't even make sense to buy used, the used prices are nearly the price of new with those Tundras and Tacos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

Fuctifino
To be fair, based on personal experience of N=3 plus a lot of online anecdotal evidence, 70K seems to be the design life for any Dodge/Chrysler minivan. If you get one with the towing package that includes a tranny cooler, you can eek out 100K.
Similar numbers for many Ford transmissions.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Dodge trannys have been dodgy for a long time. No joke.
Yep, experienced three of them in Dodge Caravans when the kids were growing up.  The algorithm is to get the tranny fluid changed at the dealership 5K before the warranty is up, then never change it again.  

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
I had a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD from new to ~2012.  Castrol was advertising its synthetic engine oil good for 50K miles so I did the experiment.  After the first break-in oil change at 1000 miles or whatever I filled up with the Castrol and went then next 49K.  Then changed oil and filter and went the next 50K and so on.  The tranny was still fine all the way to 220K when the motor or CPU brain went wonky the sliding door rolling mechanism wore out and the kids were grown up.   I dumped it for a few $K and moved on.  Perhaps the AWD tranny was an up grade, I never had a problem with it.  It probably got whatever dealer service was recommended in the first 100 or 150K miles because it was my wife's car and, you know, wives love to do things by the book.  Anyway I loved that car.  It was the most comfortable driver seat (captains) I have ever been in.  You could drive hours and hours in it, and we did, traveling to regatta's towing the Lightning or later as empty nesters on ski safaris with mattress in the back all over the Western US.  It was wonderful to have all that room in the back seat to put on your ski gear & boots.  And you could put a full sheet of plywood in there!   I grieved its demise.  I still think about getting another. 

PS:  We rented a 2014ish Caravan for my mom in a wheel chair.  It still had the comfy upright driver/wingman captains seats but the rear seats now fold down leaving a flat cargo area.  No more yarding the two ~75 lbs rear bench seats of the '94 onto the garage floor to go fetch that sheet of plywood.  Maybe I really will get another one......

IStream

Super Anarchist
Yeah, big difference between a 94 AWD and a ~2005 2WD. Those fucking doors failed every 6 months too. The wiring would work harden and break. 

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Mine was manual door.  Could hardly close it near the end, then it jumped the tracks a few times and tough to get back on.  Time to move on.  The electric doors are cool.  Bummer the wires crap out.  Maybe I'll keep the Subie but damn its not as easy as the Caravan to get in and out, nor nearly as comfortable.  Getting old.

IStream

Super Anarchist
FWIW, we replaced the 2005 T&C with a 2016 Kia Sedona and the damned thing is fantastic. I do miss the Stow-N-Go seats of the Chrysler but that's about the only thing I miss about it. 

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I had a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD from new to ~2012.  Castrol was advertising its synthetic engine oil good for 50K miles so I did the experiment.  After the first break-in oil change at 1000 miles or whatever I filled up with the Castrol and went then next 49K.  Then changed oil and filter and went the next 50K and so on.  The tranny was still fine all the way to 220K when the motor or CPU brain went wonky the sliding door rolling mechanism wore out and the kids were grown up.   I dumped it for a few $K and moved on.  Perhaps the AWD tranny was an up grade, I never had a problem with it.  It probably got whatever dealer service was recommended in the first 100 or 150K miles because it was my wife's car and, you know, wives love to do things by the book.  Anyway I loved that car.  It was the most comfortable driver seat (captains) I have ever been in.  You could drive hours and hours in it, and we did, traveling to regatta's towing the Lightning or later as empty nesters on ski safaris with mattress in the back all over the Western US.  It was wonderful to have all that room in the back seat to put on your ski gear & boots.  And you could put a full sheet of plywood in there!   I grieved its demise.  I still think about getting another. 

PS:  We rented a 2014ish Caravan for my mom in a wheel chair.  It still had the comfy upright driver/wingman captains seats but the rear seats now fold down leaving a flat cargo area.  No more yarding the two ~75 lbs rear bench seats of the '94 onto the garage floor to go fetch that sheet of plywood.  Maybe I really will get another one......
We have a Journey now.  Fucking thing will "almost" fit a 4 x 8 sheet.  Fuckers.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
That was actually an OEM design requirement in old, full size station wagons BITD.
The real SUVs.

I am noticing a Jeep revival. Not much mud in evidence tho. It's similar to the ASA thing without any training whatsoever. 

And the labels on the outside of clothes? Come on.