Automatic transmission fluid changes in a car - not quite on schedule

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
And the labels on the outside of clothes? Come on. 
I dated a girl in London back in the 70's who was extremely status conscious. She had a beautiful, very expensive jacket she wore for business and mentioned that after spending so much she wished the label was on the outside.

She should have copyrighted the idea.

Timo42

Super Anarchist
May be too late, but if you have gone over 100k without changing the fluid, don't touch it, if you change the fluid there's a 50/50 chance it will start slipping. The crud in the fluid sometimes is the only thing holding it together. But servicing it according to the schedule will make it last longer. Ask any red fluid guy, he will tell you the same.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
To be honest. I’ve never changed the trans fluid in a car. 

I wonder if my saturn vue would have had more then 240k miles on it if I did. 

well I really don’t know how many miles it’s has since I sold it at 240k. 

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
You can steam those, too. I'm sure Gwyneth has some product made from her precious bodily fluids that will work.
I wouldn't be so quick to devalue Gwyneth's precious body fluids.  I wouldn't mind certain ones.  Under the right circumstances.  Maybe.  OK, probably.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I wouldn't be so quick to devalue Gwyneth's precious body fluids.  I wouldn't mind certain ones.  Under the right circumstances.  Maybe.  OK, probably.
I'm old Ed ... running out of time. I'll take Gwyneth's O so precious bodily fluids without hesitation or reservation. Not my first time.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
To be honest. I’ve never changed the trans fluid in a car. 

I wonder if my saturn vue would have had more then 240k miles on it if I did. 

well I really don’t know how many miles it’s has since I sold it at 240k. 
I have a 1968 Volkswagen.  I don't "change" the oil, I just keep filling the oil.  If it's not leaking oil, it's out of oil!

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
Update:  so I took the car to the local mechanic for a transmission flush.  New filter and fluid.  The mechanic described the old oil as "pretty dirty".  

If I tilt my head and squint I think the gear shifts are smoother.  

Regardless, I don't know how or why I got so far behind in routine maintenance.  I have always suspected that the manufacturer's recommendations are bit zealous but there is no excuse for indefinitely putting things off. I am usually on top of these things.  

As much as I don't like the RAV4, my wife loves it.  So there we are.  I think with a bit more attention it is likely good for another 5 years at least.  

Thanks to everyone for their input.  

Windward

Super Anarchist
Update:  so I took the car to the local mechanic for a transmission flush.  New filter and fluid.  The mechanic described the old oil as "pretty dirty".  

If I tilt my head and squint I think the gear shifts are smoother.  

Regardless, I don't know how or why I got so far behind in routine maintenance.  I have always suspected that the manufacturer's recommendations are bit zealous but there is no excuse for indefinitely putting things off. I am usually on top of these things.  

As much as I don't like the RAV4, my wife loves it.  So there we are.  I think with a bit more attention it is likely good for another 5 years at least.  

Thanks to everyone for their input.  
Please provide an update in 6-9 months.

Transmission will have had time to digest the new fluid, and @Ishmael will be done steaming his unmentionables.