Autopilots

23feet

SF
All pilot install directions will state not to hit the end of travel for the drive unit. Linear or hydraulic, that will destroy them. There are settings to stop the power driven movement of the drives, but you cannot exceed limits when hand steering either
There are no "settings to stop the power" on the St 1000 and 2000 (http://tiki21littlecat.blogspot.com/2020/05/repairing-raymarine-st1000.html). There IS a sensor to stop the travel on the Simrad tp 22 and 32.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
DanimalNZ:  Our 40' cat came with a ST2000. It was fine for motoring. Or sailing in light winds. For anything else it was too slow and weak.

IMO the next step up in performance / $ is the Pelagic. We had of their rams on our boat as a backup to the Raymarine 4000 GP ram (driven by a Raymarine computer). It was better than the GP ram.

https://pelagicautopilot.com/collections/front-page/products/pelagic-autopilot-system-with-tiller-actuator  $900 USD

They now have a heavier duty actuator model rated at 3200 N force (326 kg / 717 lbs) but that's overkill for what you want I think:
https://pelagicautopilot.com/collections/front-page/products/pelagic-autopilot-system-with-heavy-duty-tiller-actuator $1500 USD

And a hydraulic ram/below deck unit.

They're going to eat Raymarine's lunch because price is so reasonable; Raymarine

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
DanimalNZ:  Our 40' cat came with a ST2000. It was fine for motoring. Or sailing in light winds. For anything else it was too slow and weak.

IMO the next step up in performance / $ is the Pelagic. We had of their rams on our boat as a backup to the Raymarine 4000 GP ram (driven by a Raymarine computer). It was better than the GP ram.

https://pelagicautopilot.com/collections/front-page/products/pelagic-autopilot-system-with-tiller-actuator  $900 USD

They now have a heavier duty actuator model rated at 3200 N force (326 kg / 717 lbs) but that's overkill for what you want I think:
https://pelagicautopilot.com/collections/front-page/products/pelagic-autopilot-system-with-heavy-duty-tiller-actuator $1500 USD

And a hydraulic ram/below deck unit.

They're going to eat Raymarine's lunch because price is so reasonable; Raymarine
I have an older Octopus belowdeck ram that the fine folks over at Pelagic fit a control head to.

I hope to give her a real try in the near future. My 2 week yard stay for a bottom job became 5 months....

PyPilot does seem intriguing.

I think I'm going to try two approaches on the Olson 40: First, a Pelagic tiller pilot, on deck of course. Then, an underdeck drive that I control with PyPilot running on a RPi or Beaglebone Black, something like that. The underdeck control computer gives me options to try various technologies, perhaps a machine learning algorithm that learns to just emulate what I do.

My boat had an autopilot that used an Octopus drive, and the person who created that autopilot is a huge fan of the Octopus drives. I never used the previous autopilot due to very many instrument and connector issues.

The autopilot I use now is the one solo sailor recommends in his book "Singlehanded Sailing" (that is at my right elbow at this moment): a rope with shock cord on each end. I wrap the rope a turn around the tiller, and it keeps the tiller in more or less the same place. Works pretty darn well in practice, but of course won't allow me to go to sleep or leave the cockpit for long.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Pypilot was written by Sean D'Epagnier. I met him in South Africa. He's a character and is one of the developers of OpenCPN. Clever guy.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
PyPilot does seem intriguing.

I think I'm going to try two approaches on the Olson 40: First, a Pelagic tiller pilot, on deck of course. Then, an underdeck drive that I control with PyPilot running on a RPi or Beaglebone Black, something like that. The underdeck control computer gives me options to try various technologies, perhaps a machine learning algorithm that learns to just emulate what I do.

My boat had an autopilot that used an Octopus drive, and the person who created that autopilot is a huge fan of the Octopus drives. I never used the previous autopilot due to very many instrument and connector issues.

The autopilot I use now is the one solo sailor recommends in his book "Singlehanded Sailing" (that is at my right elbow at this moment): a rope with shock cord on each end. I wrap the rope a turn around the tiller, and it keeps the tiller in more or less the same place. Works pretty darn well in practice, but of course won't allow me to go to sleep or leave the cockpit for long.
I was intimidated by the octopus and the solenoid and the lack of a manual, but laid out on the bench with a 12v power supply, was able to figure it all out. A little bit of tape and voila, all wired up on the boat.

DanimalNZ

Anarchist
Perth WA
Carcrash - think I'm gonna run a palegic under deck ram with pypilot (using a pi zero W to start with, but might grunt this up with a pi-4), and see how that goes.  Would be interested to see how your config goes.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
This would be a perfect SH AP setup for a 1D35 or similar

image.png

image.png

BOBO seems happy with it.

image.png

Dark Knight, I really really like this setup and had something much like this envisioned in my head for my Mt Gay 30.  Am I correct to assume that setup is a Lecomble and Schmidt hydraulic drive unit?  Which model did you go with for what length yacht?  What autopilot computer / instruments is it coupled with?  Any computer calibration issues given that it's essentially a "reverse" drive and located much closer to the rudder stock?  I assume this is essentially an adapted below deck system?  Why didn't you go with a pelagic or similar system with the same install?   Do you want me to ask some more questions 

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Dark Knight, I really really like this setup and had something much like this envisioned in my head for my Mt Gay 30.  Am I correct to assume that setup is a Lecomble and Schmidt hydraulic drive unit?  Which model did you go with for what length yacht?  What autopilot computer / instruments is it coupled with?  Any computer calibration issues given that it's essentially a "reverse" drive and located much closer to the rudder stock?  I assume this is essentially an adapted below deck system?  Why didn't you go with a pelagic or similar system with the same install?   Do you want me to ask some more questions 
I have not done this as I am boatless, I am curious about the setup just in case I eventually end up with a boat with a tiller.

FYI the setup in the photos is on an Elliott 10.5 Motorboat 2 that has been successfully raced 2h in NZ.

There is a Young 11 with a similar setup that was done for solo racing, but the actual unit is hidden. Don't know what the drive unit is, but the AP is Raymarine. This boat has dual course computers for redundancy 

12_Young_11_Sydney_Marine_Brokerage-4K.jpg

Are you the new owner of Prion?

Well thanks for sharing those pics anyhow, guess I need to find somebody locally who has a similar setup to find out more.  RE Prion - yes, 1 of.  So much for anonymity on the internet, guess I need to abandon my plans for trolling with this user account...

Bruno

Super Anarchist
I thought the 18" tiller length was required for most til,er drives? 12" is ok for hydraulic?

Latest posts