B 36.7 vs C&C 110

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
Definitely should be looking at Express 37. Particularly the ones with the aft cabin doors. Liked the MKII but always sailed the originals.

You might also consider the J33. Quick with a killer rating in WLIS.

If you are looking for a boat with a good head, 367 is pretty small so your wife might find that an issue.

Also if you like to go fast downwind, the 367 probably isn't the boat for you.
Frac???

alymatt

PNW
Having owned a 110 for 6 years ( with sprit option ) and raced it extensively, and won against all of the boats mentioned above- I might be a little biased........with that said the 110 was replaced by the 115 for a reason and I think they addressed the issues that most of the 110's you will find sale have in terms of meeting the performance you will expect. The only issue with the 115 is the weight - its just too heavy to sail upwind in less than 6 knots!

The 110 is heavy - especially in the aft end of the boat. It will only dig holes in the water - regardless of the amount of cloth you put up and the wind you do it in. That said, - it will sail along at 8-9 knots for ever in 12-15 + knots of breeze. Upwind you need to move crew weight forward - like you start hiking at the shrouds and the guys line up forward from there - it looks goofy but it works. You will also need a proper foil as the boat responds - needs to have a lot of forstay adjusting to power up the sail plan.

I liked the interior - except the aft cabin if you are taller than 5'8" requires you sleep left - right, not front - back in the boat. Ok at the dock, but at night, well it doesn't work.

The boat that performs the best is the J 109 - but won't be had for this price - and I found much smaller inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY
I love that nearly every poster in this thread routinely beats every other boat mentioned. Just how many Rolex Yachstmen of the Year are lurking around here?

We get it, you think the particular model boat you were clever enough to invest in is the bees knees and everything else is a pile of hot garbage. Slow uncomfortable hot garbage to boot.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
40.7 is a better balanced boat than the 36.7. Much better upwind. 110 vs 36.7.. I think the 110 wins especially if it has the sprit, but it's kind of portly and the interior doesn't do much for me. At the pricier end you get the J109, 120, and the C&C 115, all of which are great multi purpose boats. IF you can sell the wife on an Express 37 that boat will crush most of the boats on this list and is great to sail and cruise on.
The 40.7 sails fairly well, but it is one of the most uncomfortable boats I've ever sailed on. Heeling in a seaway, the only place that is ergonomically ok is behind the wheel. Awful!

Movable Ballast

Anarchist
San Diego
I think it totally area dependent. If I were looking at these types of boats the 36.7 would be appealing because we have a good OD fleet in Dago. Even though it does not sail as well as other boats mentioned, it is a nice boat! With a good OD fleet everyone has the same issue so it's still good racing.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
of the boats discussed, I've owned a few and driven most.

I liked the 36.7, a lot of boat for the money, but the steering was numb.

The steering on the 40.7 seemed to feel better. I drove one in some pretty sporty breeze in St Martin

and enjoyed it. I don't understand the comments above about heeling... we reefed above 18 and found we were faster than other 40s that did not reef.

for W/L i'd take the 36.7 over any of the C&Cs discussed

but it is a rather crew intensive boat.

I moved my 36.7 crew onto a J35 and they did pretty well.. Both takes take a fairly skilled and experienced main trimmer

or they are going to get annoyed with the never ending stream of instructions from the helm.

I think any of the boats could be fun depending on what you want to do with it.

but HR is going to be your biggest issue.. adn do expect some blood stains on your deck.

I didn't care for the lego style non-skid.. but it was sticky!

Having said all that, my decision to move to a J35 was $$ based. the 36.7 sale funded the purchase of the boat, new sails, some new deck gear and electronics for about 5 years.

Something to think about, and your mileage may vary

WHK

Super Anarchist
Newport, RI
I looked at a 36.7 and J/109 when I considered upgrading from my J/30 and decided on the J/109. The 36.7 has better cruising amenities below and a little more space. The J/109 is easier to sail with the asym, and as been mentioned seems to sail in the groove easier than the 36.7. I've also sailed the J/35 - a good performer, much less expensive and plenty of room, but not as easy to handle with less crew. No experience with the C&C 110.

Well, have raced, and cruised my 36.7, I race against a 99, and two very well sailed J36s. We bought ours brand new in 2008 after stepping up from a Mighty Pearson 30 - well the wife loved the 36.7 over all the other boats, and almost 10 years later, loves cruising on it (we use our delivery sails), and loves sleeping and cooking on it too, the only down side is I forgot to bring the cockpit seat extensions, but she loved sitting against the dog house watching the world go by.

Racing - the boat does well but it is my fault as the skipper. The 36.7 rewards a good main trimmer, and celebrates with an excellent one. When I cruise I don't care about the ass end of the boat we still go faster than my MP30, plus the sail drive is awesome in heavy weather over a shaft boat, and around docks.

Does any other opinion other than your wife's count?

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
X41 Bank Repo

It says make an offer.... I kinda doubt we are looking at 13 year old Bene 36.7 kind of offer.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/X-Yachts-X-41-2944868/Newport-Beach/CA/United-States#.VxOIpI-cFfw
That's a deal already and on the west coast too. If I had have been casual boat shopping I would grab that right quick. I raced an X412 with the full 3 cabin cruise mode. When up wind with a Benny 45s. A little faster, little higher and friggin' brand new. Really not tuned up yet.

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
PHRF in I believe So Cal would be a 24 single number. But yes I agree the suggested bid at 149k sounds very good. I think I see sails in the vberth and that appears to be a main on the boom under the cover... There is/was an x41 for sale on the east coast and several in Europe to compare for price.

I checked out the auction site and there are very few sailboats. Mostly Hunters. Someone interested search the powerboat sites or just google national liquidators to find out what the boats usually go for compared to their recommended bid. Definitely worth a look for someone here.

Well, have raced, and cruised my 36.7, I race against a 99, and two very well sailed J36s. We bought ours brand new in 2008 after stepping up from a Mighty Pearson 30 - well the wife loved the 36.7 over all the other boats, and almost 10 years later, loves cruising on it (we use our delivery sails), and loves sleeping and cooking on it too, the only down side is I forgot to bring the cockpit seat extensions, but she loved sitting against the dog house watching the world go by.

Racing - the boat does well but it is my fault as the skipper. The 36.7 rewards a good main trimmer, and celebrates with an excellent one. When I cruise I don't care about the ass end of the boat we still go faster than my MP30, plus the sail drive is awesome in heavy weather over a shaft boat, and around docks.

Does any other opinion other than your wife's count?
She likes it better than the P30? Get the fuck out of here !