B 36.7 vs C&C 110

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
PHRF in I believe So Cal would be a 24 single number. But yes I agree the suggested bid at 149k sounds very good. I think I see sails in the vberth and that appears to be a main on the boom under the cover... There is/was an x41 for sale on the east coast and several in Europe to compare for price.

I checked out the auction site and there are very few sailboats. Mostly Hunters. Someone interested search the powerboat sites or just google national liquidators to find out what the boats usually go for compared to their recommended bid. Definitely worth a look for someone here.
PHRF 24 maybe? It gets better I guess. In my experiences with repo/bank situation is there is no love;but the commidty of making it gone. Yes, it isn't the average Bunter so they might not know what they have. A rare commidty in Socal but it is an X-Yachts none the less. Repo/banks can be funny though and if it were me I'd try a stink bid and see what happens. No owner to pass off so why not? Can only say no at the end of the day;no feelings to hurt.

Look great in Seattle or Vancouver where there is a cultish X-Yacht following. Just pack it up and call your trucker of choice and send 'er right up I-5. Done!

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
visit the Beneteau Class Association website here....... http://www.beneteaufirst367.org/home check out the closest fleet to where you live.....

contact owners and ask them what they think of the boat..... There is also a facebook group that offer lots of advice and guidance.....
The group on FB (see my signature) is going to be the best place to get answers on the 36.7. The helm on the 36.7 does take a lot to get used to and the boat has its own collection of quirks as well.

Overall I am happy with it. We have a small fleet for OD racing in SD and after OD racing PHRF is a bit of a downer.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Just to give Echo a bump. I've sailed with him a few times over the past few years. The boat lacks NOTHING. Always been very well cared for and is optimized with all the go fast goodies as well as a cruising set up. If you're seriously considering a 36.7 you must look at his.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Echo sounds like the kind of owner I'd buy a boat from sight unseen but I'm in San Diego. Not sure which boat is yours, Jerry J, but I crewed on Kea for about five years. Great skipper, great crew, good one design racing but I don't like the boat for two up sailing. OTOH, there's a well found one on the market here for a lot less than a C & C 110, no Express 37s or J 35s, the only j-120 close to my budget is a flogged J World rental and maybe I can learn the Bene's quirks.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Damn I should ask him for commission. Anyway, Echo is a sight unseen buy boat. It lives up to the pictures. Has a full selection of sails including a new asym. Just give'em a check and arrange a hauler. You won't be disappointed when the boat shows up. So, he has a new motor, new bottom, fairly new mast with standing rigging, the main and #1 have just turned a year old, but have probably been flown 8 times. The #2 jib is in great shape and the #3 hardly gets used. This is a race ready/cruise ready boat. He also changed the steering arrangement so there's not the issues discussed above. Very easy to drive. However, I believe the problem is the boat has a pretty big rudder so when you're getting overpowered instead of the skipper telling folks to de-power with the sail plan it's easy just to fight the weather helm with the oversized wheel which is applying an underwater break.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Hmmm, so let me get this right, the boat required a new engine, new rig, the boat needed refairing and you claim she was well cared for? Sounds more like she was so abused she needed a total refit.

Just sayin'.

The boat doesn't go straight and it isn't a function of the rudder. You have to steer her with the main and it is very easy to move the traveler too much all at once. The very short cord length of the keel is a huge contributing factor.

gjostrom

NYC
i might as well chime in. i have a 110. I don't race it. I do like it and so does the wife and four year old. there are a lot of diff configurations for this boat (four or five different keels, two different hull materials, three traveler locations, two different mast materials, double vs. triple spreader, sprit vs. pole). so "one-design" is not really a thing. she's quick for a cruiser, but i've never tried to sail to a rating, 81 seems aggressive. if you have specific questions let me know and I'll try and answer them.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
And that's what you get making an A.S.S.U.M.P.T.I.O.N on a particular boat you know nothing about. Seriously dude, WTF? I've been on the boat a bit over the past 4 years. The previous rig came down in a race, (not heavy air/something failed). He's put a ton of time on the old motor going up and down the coast from NC to SC so it was time and instead of going the cheap rebuild route he boned up for and out of the crate one.

I never said anything about fairing. Just had the bottom re-painted. You know, it sits in the water. Not sure how many 36.7's dry sail....

I've been through the boat. She's solid and I've driven her at night by the wind instruments. She sailed fine.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Engine run hard and needed a rebuild/replacement. Dropped rig because something failed, needed new rig. Sounds well cared for......

Wait, you sail by instruments? And at night? Well then you must know 36.7's intimately.

Like I said, the boat wouldn't go straight if you dropped it from an airplane.

Your friend would be well served if you stopped trying to help sell his boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

echo

Super Anarchist
charlotte , nc
Hmmm, so let me get this right, the boat required a new engine, new rig, the boat needed refairing and you claim she was well cared for? Sounds more like she was so abused she needed a total refit.

Just sayin'.

The boat doesn't go straight and it isn't a function of the rudder. You have to steer her with the main and it is very easy to move the traveler too much all at once. The very short cord length of the keel is a huge contributing factor.
Okay, just so you can rest easier at night.

The new engine was the result of a failed injector that even my diesel mechanic said fell in the "shit happens" category. No way to see it coming unless you pulled the injectors often.

The new rig resulted from a failed $5 internal cap washer on the lower shrouds that failed during CRW in 2010. (very similar conditions to this years) Again the rare shit happens...

New bottom is just new paint.

I was fortunate enough have great main trimmer in '08 when we won CRW. Otherwise yes, it's tough without one.

She's hardly abused, just loved cared for and sailed well by the same core crew for 13+ years.

The boat is only for sale because of my health issues. Do I have to justify those too...

Last edited by a moderator:

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
What is a "cap washer"? What exactly failed?

You had a bad injector and replaced the engine? Seriously, you need a new mechanic if that is the case. How many hours were on it?

I am not necessarily commenting on your boat. But your friend is making it sound like she was beat to crap.

Sorry about your health issues.

What hull number and what is the asking price?

OR where is she listed so you don't get pummeled for not buying an ad.

echo

Super Anarchist
charlotte , nc
What is a "cap washer"? What exactly failed? A dime sized cup shaped washer that holds the shroud the in the fitting at the spreader. I brought rig home to Charleston Spar here in Charlotte. We didn't cut anything away They went over it and the only thing missing was the cap washer no other failed of missing parts. Just going off of what the rig builder said

You had a bad injector and replaced the engine? Injector failed and flooded the cylinder with fuel washing out all the lubricants. Called "Coking" That seized up/locked the cylinder and ruined the block. I had three people look at; Volvo, my yard/mechanic and my truck mechanic here at home. (I own a few big rigs)

But your friend is making it sound like she was beat to crap. No you are...

Sorry about your health issues. Thanks

What hull number and what is the asking price? #76. Not sure yet. She's good as new now!

OR where is she listed so you don't get pummeled for not buying an ad. I pulled the listing when the engine seized (Nov '15) per advice from my broker.

I may not relist and just buy an ad here. FSBO. The market sucks, not my boat.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
FSBO sort of sucks.

Boats seem to be going in the high 80's low 90's. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Oh, a cup washer. On the D2 shroud I take it? Never seen one fail. IIRC only ones that can come off are the ones on the D2 turnbuckle.... hmmmmm.

You had a bad injector and it caused the engine to seize? Another Hmmmmm.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
When you've sailed on and worked on more boats, (on the water and in boats yards) over the last 40 years than you will ever remember you can tell which ones are taken care of and those that are not. Worked my way through high school, college and as recently as 5 years ago as an independent contractor for overflow work at a local yard.

I may not know the intimate working of the 36.7 going upwind, but I know a well cared for boat from a poor one. Echo is a well cared for boat.

How's the sail making business going for ya? Given your attitude I'd guess you're done with it? Either way I'm not about to sit here and question your ability in that area.

The fact that you'd through crap at a guy who has owned a boat for 13 years who you don't know from Adam and a boat you've never seen speaks volumes about you.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
SailHigh, thanks and I'll take you up on your offer. When you're out for a sail with a full main and #1 up front, close reaching or beating, with just you and your wife, sitting in the cockpit, with 12 Kts over the deck, do you have to backwind the main to keep the weather helm manageable to the point you don't have to two block the steering to hold your course?

If no: One point for the C & C.

When steering to weather (I've never been allowed to steer downwind), does the boat do little things that you never commanded with the helm or delay responding and suddenly overshoot your planned heading relative to the wind?

If no: One more point for the C & C.

Yes, I know a good mainsail trimmer can counter these traits on a 36.7 and I guess, with practice, I could learn to drive one more effectively, but I've never sailed a boat where I had to before. It's a fast boat for its length and the amount of comfort below and the dealer and one design fleet support is something to consider. I'd just like to find the same level of performance in a boat that felt more "natural" and I wondered if the 110 would fill that bill.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
When you've sailed on and worked on more boats, (on the water and in boats yards) over the last 40 years than you will ever remember you can tell which ones are taken care of and those that are not. Worked my way through high school, college and as recently as 5 years ago as an independent contractor for overflow work at a local yard.

I may not know the intimate working of the 36.7 going upwind, but I know a well cared for boat from a poor one. Echo is a well cared for boat.

How's the sail making business going for ya? Given your attitude I'd guess you're done with it? Either way I'm not about to sit here and question your ability in that area.

The fact that you'd through crap at a guy who has owned a boat for 13 years who you don't know from Adam and a boat you've never seen speaks volumes about you.
Oh boy. I've never been a "sailmaker" (defined as someone who actually designs or builds sails), but that aside, spent plenty of time in both the industry and around the 36.7. Well enough to know that if a boat required the amount of stuff replaced that this particular boat has, it would certainly raise a red flag. Just taking that at face value and applying some common sense. You haven't painted a particularly good picture of the boat describing what needed to be done to her, thus my comment that you should stop trying to help the owner sell her.BTW, you aren't the rigger who put the stick together, are you?

As a notable sailmaker
No actually notable sailmaker would be caught dead sailing on a 36.7
Funny, Ploch seems to know a thing or two and loved the one he owned.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
SailHigh, thanks and I'll take you up on your offer. When you're out for a sail with a full main and #1 up front, close reaching or beating, with just you and your wife, sitting in the cockpit, with 12 Kts over the deck, do you have to backwind the main to keep the weather helm manageable to the point you don't have to two block the steering to hold your course?

When steering to weather (I've never been allowed to steer downwind), does the boat do little things that you never commanded with the helm or delay responding and suddenly overshoot your planned heading relative to the wind?

Yes, I know a good mainsail trimmer can counter these traits on a 36.7 and I guess, with practice, I could learn to drive one more effectively, but I've never sailed a boat where I had to before. It's a fast boat for its length and the amount of comfort below and the dealer and one design fleet support is something to consider. I'd just like to find the same level of performance in a boat that felt more "natural" and I wondered if the 110 would fill that bill.
36.7 is an acquired taste from the standpoint of sailing her to weather. This is particularly true if you tune her to be competitive, step one hole forward of center, pretty much max length headstay. Too little main and the helm feels sort of dead, pull the traveler up say 4-6 inches and you struggle to make her go straight.

gjostrom

NYC

I would say that's +2 for the c&c then.

going upwind: definitely no need to backwind the main or fight the helm. boat is very balanced and drives with the wheel center-line and two fingers on the wheel. if you find one that's not balanced, the rake is probably off. the auto-pilot also appreciates the balance and hardly works at all which gives me freedom to make cocktails or enjoy the view from the bow for awhile.

for your second question, no it does what you tell it to. If you want to drive straight, it goes straight. if you want to come up 5 degrees, she'll do so immediately. it's actually a very fun boat to sail as the response and performance are both great.

Latest posts