b and g calibration

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Are you looking for information on how to calibrate the system or are you looking for information about what things get calibrated?

And, which system do you have and which sensors? Certainly basic wind, speed and depth are easy. Compass, too. The real complexity is in upwash and polars.

Details, please ...

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Am going to the boat tomorrow, will get the relevant details.

Does the sensor type matter?

Have done the easy ones as you say, is the TWD and polars that is causing grief.

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Is TWD tacking a lot both upwind and downwind? If so, does AWA seem reliable on both tacks?

It would be good to know what compass and whether there's a "tall" wind wand. If you have polars, it must be a Hercules system. Is it an H2000 or H3000?

Don't forget to be sure the compass has been spun within the last few months. Also, is the speedo on the centerline?

What's the boat and what's the real goal?

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
TWD not tacking as such. AWA seems to be very innaccurate both upwind and down.

1.2 metre wand

Compas was swung/calibrated 4 months ago. Is the funny shaped blue B&G compass. (technical aren't I...)

H2000

The speed sensor is very close to the CL, I think, will check.

Knee Deep (old Yendys) Farr 49, win.

Last edited by a moderator:

johannula

Finland
sometimes it is close others as far as 60 degrees out
Still hard to get a real picture of your problem: TWD not tacking and AWA 60deg off?

Would you have a stripchart (AWA, TWA,TWD, TWS, BS and HDG) or log file from Expediton?

Is MWA (measured wind angle) showing about the same as AWA (back calculated apparent wind angle)?

Jorma

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Sorry, dont have a strip chart.

Have never heard of MWA.

Also I am pulling the 2 prossesor boxes of for bench testing by Olelectrics. From the other threads here I think it is wise to get them upgradedat the same time.

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
You definitely want to upgrade to version 9 or later.

If your AWA is that unstable, I'd strongly suspect wiring and/or the mast head unit itself.

MWA is Measured Wind Angle. These are the numbers directly from the mash head unit. AWA, on B&G, is actually the FINAL computation and is derived from TWA, believe it or not. You can select MWA (and MWS) by scrolling through the various options under Wind. If MWA seems reasonable and AWA does not, you likely have a speedo problem or some very, very funky issues with your TWA correction tables.

I'd recommend that you focus on upwind first and then downwind.

Is it the case that things used to work ok and then went to hell ... or is this a new system or ... ?

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Thanks Moonduster, will send the MHU off as well. We did a check on the wiring on Saturday and it tested well.

Should I send the log transducer as well?

Old system, things just went funky, which leads me to think a board has crapped out.

I want to get it all sorted and get into my head the correct way to calibrate when it comes back and we know we have a functioning system.

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
It's really, really important to extract the current calibration information from the system BEFORE you disconnect and send off to service. You might check with the agent to see if they'll preserve your calibration, but I've never heard of a B&G agent willing to do this (simple) procedure. If they won't, let us know if you'll need some tips on how to extract the 20 or so values you'll need to get a head start on re-calibration.

As I've said before, the B&G system is a lot like Microsoft products - very capable but not really designed to be used. The end result is that its a royal pain in the ass to suck all this info out of the system - but once you understand the process, it's just a matter of endless button presses and jotting things down with pencil and paper. The slight up side is that in the process of sucking the info out, you'll have a good conceptual framework for plugging them back in and also understand all the corners of the system that need calibration.

As a friend who attended the US Air Force Academy once said - it's like a million dollar education - shoved up your ass a nickle at a time.

For those outside the USA, a nickle is a US 5 cent piece ... it's not a pretty picture!

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
It's really, really important to extract the current calibration information from the system BEFORE you disconnect and send off to service. You might check with the agent to see if they'll preserve your calibration, but I've never heard of a B&G agent willing to do this (simple) procedure. If they won't, let us know if you'll need some tips on how to extract the 20 or so values you'll need to get a head start on re-calibration.

As I've said before, the B&G system is a lot like Microsoft products - very capable but not really designed to be used. The end result is that its a royal pain in the ass to suck all this info out of the system - but once you understand the process, it's just a matter of endless button presses and jotting things down with pencil and paper. The slight up side is that in the process of sucking the info out, you'll have a good conceptual framework for plugging them back in and also understand all the corners of the system that need calibration.

As a friend who attended the US Air Force Academy once said - it's like a million dollar education - shoved up your ass a nickle at a time.

For those outside the USA, a nickle is a US 5 cent piece ... it's not a pretty picture!
Oh shit, already disconnected, will try and get the dealer to do it. They are great guys, so here's hoping. Is it an easy reconnect to get the values out?

Am at the boat tonight.

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
You don't really need to even reconnect - the cal values are all in the H2000 box(es). If those are powered and you have a single FFD connected you should be able to suck away (no pun intended). Where are you, physically?

Latest posts