B&G Triton Edge

Is this taking the H5000 processor and making it available for the Triton series?

Just not sure why I would buy it...

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Price point isn't that different than a H5000 Hydra processor. I wonder what the decision tree is for picking one over the other.

ride5000

having just grabbed a hydra, one key point is that by throwing another $1100 at it you can upgrade to polars.

bissona

Is this taking the H5000 processor and making it available for the Triton series?

Just not sure why I would buy it...
Nor me. Seems to give me exactly what my Zeus3s / Triton2 / Nemesis setup gives me already, plus a web interface. The B&G UI may not be perfect but I’m not sure it’s worth £1.5k to bypass….

If it could take a full polar table, display % of polars hit, and do a better job on the AP than my NAC3 then I might consider it.

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
On the facebook B&G group the B&G guys said that it will *eventually* have the ability to take a full polar chart. But not in the initial software release. Someone did ask for a comparison between it and the H5000, they said they were putting something together.

Doesn't the H5000 have a web interface too?

penumbra

WLIS (ish)
On the facebook B&G group the B&G guys said that it will *eventually* have the ability to take a full polar chart. But not in the initial software release. Someone did ask for a comparison between it and the H5000, they said they were putting something together.
This is rather a bummer. Although it requires Ray to put it into the OS, even Raymarine now has polars in the plotter.

toolbar

Kiel, Germany
Yeah, there is definitely no technical reason why all the stuff a H5000 is doing couldn't be integrated into a plotter.

I am pretty sure that the latest generation plotters have so much more processing power than is needed for a bunch of equations, even if you want the calculation to be done at 50hz or whatever.

Paul

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
On the Vulcan, you can manually input a fairly basic targets table. It's buried under the Laylines settings. It can use that table or pull from real time instrument data to do the calcs on the fly for the layline and startline features. From what I recall the Raymarine is doing something similar through the Lighthouse OS although it's been awhile since I looked.

I imagine this new processor mainly allows for faster and more accurate calcs, better calibration, along with the ability to do tweaks, updates, and polars (eventually) through the webportal, which I admit is a lot more user friendly than poking through the various menus on the MFDs. The question to me is, is that feature set enough to justify the cost for the average hack beer can sailor... If a setup with Tritons and a Vulcan or Zeus do a light version of that.

It will be interesting to see how they market this and differentiate it from the Hydra

ride5000

On the Vulcan, you can manually input a fairly basic targets table. It's buried under the Laylines settings. It can use that table or pull from real time instrument data to do the calcs on the fly for the layline and startline features.
I can confirm this is similar in the zeus 3s case.

this level of polar data will help with beating/running by showing the best wind angle to steer for max speed up/downwind.

the full monte h5000 polar data will show you all intermediate points of sail and your target boat speed (or your percentage thereof).

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Seems to give me exactly what my Zeus3s / Triton2 / Nemesis setup gives me already, plus a web interface.
I have a Zeus2, Triton 1 and what it won't do is allow me to calibrate the ws320 for the downwind wind speed, which looks to be about 5% high. are you saying you can do that calibration without an H5000/Edge?

We've been looking at this along with a WS730 for improved downwind performance on the pilot (NAC3). Among the things we've been told is that it provides corrected AWA/TWA using pitch and heel data. It also supposedly provides upwash corrections. this alone makes it an attractive solution if you're already using Triton displays and a NAC3/2 AP. I have heard that full polars are coming as well.

For us, we are cruising short handed (or single handed) a lot, and so pilot performance is a big deal. I use Expedition (for more than 10 years now) for routing, and this provides an interface for the instruments, access to Expedition generated targets, etc., at a price that's more sensible than a full blown H5000 Hercules setup. For others who may already have Triton instruments, this will provide a nice bolt on upgrade.

Question is, when will it be available? B&G has not yet posted manuals or install guides.

Last edited:
So what does this do that an H5000 won’t do?

are they discontinuing H5000?
I believe the H5000 has more processing capability and can integrate the WTP and rate information into the calcs. This is likely more valuable on light and fast yachts where acceleration/deceleration is faster. On our 30,000 lb Hinckley that's less of an issue. H5000 Hercules also opens up the H5000 pilot, which is another level up in performance.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I believe the H5000 has more processing capability and can integrate the WTP and rate information into the calcs. This is likely more valuable on light and fast yachts where acceleration/deceleration is faster. On our 30,000 lb Hinckley that's less of an issue. H5000 Hercules also opens up the H5000 pilot, which is another level up in performance.
Isn't the biggest change here that you don't need H5000-specific displays with the Edge - just Tritons?

Plumbean

What I'm hearing is you can use both Triton2 and H5000 displays with Edge.

The other thing I just heard is Polars are going to require H5000 Processor, which sucks.
Really? Well that blows. This is of interest to me, but the inability to use polars makes it less compelling. I can't justify an H5000 setup, but a plug and play into my existing NMEA 2000 based Triton setup would be easy. As it is, my Vulcan seems to be pretty piss poor at calculating TWD.

Really? Well that blows. This is of interest to me, but the inability to use polars makes it less compelling. I can't justify an H5000 setup, but a plug and play into my existing NMEA 2000 based Triton setup would be easy. As it is, my Vulcan seems to be pretty piss poor at calculating TWD.
I was in the same boat, looking for better TW solution for the pilot, and for cruising, having an idea of how well you're sailing the boat relative to your route solution is always good.

I'm actually pretty pissed at B&G, Edge could have been great, but as far as I can tell it's just a fancy wind solution box for $1500. All the data logging and web UI features are useless as far as I'm concerned. I have Expedition for that. I agree with you that the plotter should be able to handle those calculations for TWS/D without forcing you to buy another dumb box.

Anyone who sails downwind with a pilot knows the upwash corrections and heel data makes sailing in big waves under pilot a whole lot less sketchy. Paying extra to 'get an accurate solution,' when you could just build that calculation capability into the plotter (with a better CPU) is just bullshit.

Last edited:

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
What I'm hearing is you can use both Triton2 and H5000 displays with Edge.

The other thing I just heard is Polars are going to require H5000 Processor, which sucks.
Where did you hear that it won't support polars? From the B&G FB product announcement back in September, B&G responded to a comment with this:
B&G
Yes, it will have polars, although not in the very first software, but it will have it for sure.​

Where did you hear that it won't support polars? From the B&G FB product announcement back in September, B&G responded to a comment with this:
B&G
Yes, it will have polars, although not in the very first software, but it will have it for sure.​
Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 5.08.19 PM.png

That seems pretty definitive to me.. no mention of 'some future update.' This information is from this month.. so a bit fresher maybe.

I have an Edge processor on pre-order for the Hinckley, now I'm thinking about cancelling it.

This was right out of B&G's own promotional materials, so maybe someone with FB could go and ask for some clarification on that comment response from September.

Last edited:

bissona

Have one earmarked for me with my dealer but will be cancelling if it doesn't support polars. Happy to wait for 3-6 months for the relevant software update but this gives me very little worth having without that.