Baby formula

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
This started with contamination of formula with bacteria.  I suppose if we don't care about infecting infants we could have all the formula we want...

https://www.cdc.gov/cronobacter/outbreaks/infant-formula.html

https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/fda-investigation-cronobacter-infections-powdered-infant-formula-february-2022
yeah, if only the dadgum gubbermint would get out of the way and let our wonderful corporations fulfill our needs, everything would be wonderful!

This is all a bunch of false science being rammed down our throats!

- DSK

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Drive through Detroit, or Flint, or Albuquerque, or Oakland, or any number of failing cities and get back to us with your reaction.....
I’m in Detroit at this very moment. What’s your point? Other then you have no idea what the definition of first world is. 

Last edited by a moderator:

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
a long way from home
I’m in Detroit at this very moment. What’s your point? Other then you have no idea what the definition of first world is. 
Ya.... I guess that you are right. America is totally first world......Modern First World Countries

Today, the term "First World countries" is essentially interchangeable with "developed countries", and typically describes countries that are considered to have reached the upper echelon of advancement in several categories. First World countries have a high-functioning democracy with little risk of instability or insurgency. Their economies are stable, innovative, and typically capitalist. First World countries enjoy the most advanced technologies, the highest standards of living, and the greatest degree of political and cultural influence across the globe.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Ya.... I guess that you are right. America is totally first world......Modern First World Countries

Today, the term "First World countries" is essentially interchangeable with "developed countries", and typically describes countries that are considered to have reached the upper echelon of advancement in several categories. First World countries have a high-functioning democracy with little risk of instability or insurgency. Their economies are stable, innovative, and typically capitalist. First World countries enjoy the most advanced technologies, the highest standards of living, and the greatest degree of political and cultural influence across the globe.
Listen, bub, if the USA can bomb it's way to cheap oil, and bomb it's way to better health care and having a secure supply of baby formula, tehn we can bomb our way into being a First World country if we damn well want to!

- DSK

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
a long way from home
Listen, bub, if the USA can bomb it's way to cheap oil, and bomb it's way to better health care and having a secure supply of baby formula, tehn we can bomb our way into being a First World country if we damn well want to!

- DSK
True, but you still drop the ball on having a high-functioning democracy with little risk of instability or insurgency. 

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
2024 should fix all this crap.
Yeah, by 2024 your boy Trump is going to be in such a world of legal hurt he'll be sucking on Don Jr's tit trying to get nourishment.

You know, I never really liked you, and over the years my initial gut instinct has proven to be correct.  

You really are an arrogant asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
2024 should fix all this crap.
The more I think you and this thread, the more pathetic I think you are. You support a guy who has legions of followers who hate Jews, to the point they rallied carrying tiki torches screaming JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US. I don’t know if you a practicing Jew, but you have a Jewish last name, and the guys screaming about Jews not replacing them aren’t going to ask if you go to celebrate Jewish holidays, they are just going to fuck you up, if not kill you. But yet you support the guy who loves them. I feel sorry for anyone who gets in an airplane that you pilot, because you clearly lack appropriate judgement.  

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
If we actually cared about infants, the world of formula would've never started.
Fuck off.

If it wasn't for baby formula my two kids would have simply been under feed, there simply was not enough for them to have.

Do you really think that underfeeding an infant is better than baby formula?

People like you shaming other people who just are trying to do what is best for their children by just making the decision to feed their children much harder than it needs to be.

Again.  Fuck off.

tane

Anarchist
...how does one "meter" the breast-milk & sees that the infant is "underfed"????

(nobody is "shaming" you, baby-care-literature is pretty unanimous that "too little breast milk" is a very rare thing...)

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
...how does one "meter" the breast-milk & sees that the infant is "underfed"????

(nobody is "shaming" you, baby-care-literature is pretty unanimous that "too little breast milk" is a very rare thing...)
There wasn't any "formula" when most posters here were growing up.

Australia sent the US 27.5 million tins the other day.

NaptimeAgain

Super Anarchist
Annapolis MD
To get back on topic, I have seen infants who simply could not be adequately nourished by breastfeeding alone.  There re challenges even when the infant does not have special nutritional needs.  As a society we are so awfully prudish that the village culture frowns on nursing in public or even in front of friends and family.  So the things we could learn by example don't routinely get demonstrated, include breastfeeding.  Saw a great sign in a Reykjavik bar, "We like babies and boobs - OK to breastfeed here." 

Worse case I saw was a one week old infant in renal failure after a week of nursing.  It's not like the nipple has a fuel gauge, and the volumes per feed are not huge.  Well educated parents.  Yes they could breast pump and measure and then put it in a bottle and then bottle feed, but that kinda defeats the point in a few ways.  For nursing women who work, a safe place to pump is not always available during working hours.  That likely changed with COVID related telework.  Some kids latch better than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
With both our kids my wife tried as hard as she could for six months. Could never make enough milk. Machines, etc. the boys got all she could produce for six months but they were always supplemented with formula. It happens. I am sure not having a child until 38 was a factor. 

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
,,, there simply was not enough for them to have. ,,,

,,, infants who simply could not be adequately nourished by breastfeeding alone ,,,

,,, Could never make enough milk ,,,
This joggled some (nearly extinct) memory cells, so I called my Sis.

Around '63~'67 or so,,  there was a lady down the road from our place with that issue..

We gave them goats milk to supplement,, Sis said it worked great.

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
There wasn't any "formula" when most posters here were growing up.

Australia sent the US 27.5 million tins the other day.
Now that we've banned organised teams of resident Chinese buying 50 tins per person and then sending them back to China. 

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
Fuck off.

If it wasn't for baby formula my two kids would have simply been under feed, there simply was not enough for them to have.

Do you really think that underfeeding an infant is better than baby formula?

People like you shaming other people who just are trying to do what is best for their children by just making the decision to feed their children much harder than it needs to be.

Again.  Fuck off.
Damn dude, take stuff personal very often?  We have a massive failure of epic proportions with millions of mothers who are totally displaced from the original feeding system and this is about you?  Yea, my sentence was too short and inaccurate, but the point isn't about successes like yours,  it's about the millions who are stranded.  Hope your family feels blessed.