Banned Innovations in Sail Racing

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
That’s the competition. England is on opposite years to the race in Maryland. Damn I see they raised $25k to build their boat! I’ve got about 200 bucks into ours in Luan ply and polyester resin. I do need some plexiglass to build a bubble dome though. I’m looking forward to that experiment!
They have been messing about building these for 20 years or so.

beezer

Annapolis
Yes I imagine they have worked out some of the tough problems. We will be happy with a completed speed run on the board and something that looks cool. Plus meeting some folks from potential schools wouldn’t hurt.

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Spanish special Nacra 17 'improvements'

New refined Aussie Etchells mould 11 hulls.

Oracle AC 45's with added lead.

Water ballast in IOR boats

Almost every winning J24 ever.

Sport of kings, really.

Rather than try to compete w/ carbon fiber hulls, etc., what about playing with the drive? Set up a Hobie Mirage drive, or link two together in either whale (horizontal) or dolphin (vertical) modes, and make the appendages squirm, rather than the hull...

Good luck with this! Sounds like an awesome project to have the kid involved in, and certainly something many schools would love to see...

Also:
ed6687a02f0aec226b164e104cea49b6.jpg

beezer

Annapolis
Anyone know anything about supercavitation? Bubbles along the hull to reduce drag? That’s legal as far as I can see for this sub race. We have dive tanks with plenty of capacity for the bubbles and could set up a series of small tubes all over the hull to envelop the thing in a bubble cocoon. Any chance of that working to decrease drag?

beezer

Annapolis
Anyone know anything about supercavitation? Bubbles along the hull to reduce drag? That’s legal as far as I can see for this sub race. We have dive tanks with plenty of capacity for the bubbles and could set up a series of small tubes all over the hull to envelop the thing in a bubble cocoon. Any chance of that working to decrease
Also, the next video is done. Apologies for the quality. I’m just learning how to edit these a little better. Volume levels are a bit wonky.

Last edited:

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Anyone know anything about supercavitation? Bubbles along the hull to reduce drag? That’s legal as far as I can see for this sub race. We have dive tanks with plenty of capacity for the bubbles and could set up a series of small tubes all over the hull to envelop the thing in a bubble cocoon. Any chance of that working to decrease drag?
You would never be able to attain the speed necessary for supercavitation in a human powered sub.
As for ejecting bubbles, I believe they would float to the surface rather than envelope the hull.

Last edited:

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Fish use slime very effectively. How bout painting with molasses and drying a few layers, then a generous slather at launch.

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
When Herreshoff brought his catamaran AMARYLLIS out to play and kicked everyone's ass, the Establishment then outlawed multihulls