Barn Find

andrewhd

UK
Interesting photo on the front page. It looks very similar to the photos being circulated a couple of years ago in the UK 14 fleet of a ‘private’ collection which was being auctioned off, had originally been collected to make some sort of dinghy museum, think they were all stored in a big barn in Norfolk. Mostly pre WWII uk dinghies

I hunted through to see if I could find my grandfathers boat from the mid 30s but no luck. I heard ‘a lot’ of money was paid by an overseas buyer for the whole / nearly whole collection.  I haven’t heard anything since but if Shanghai Sailor can see them physically I could see if any of the classic guys in the UK have further info.

I think that photo is in its original storage in UK pre auction…

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Interesting photo on the front page. It looks very similar to the photos being circulated a couple of years ago in the UK 14 fleet of a ‘private’ collection which was being auctioned off, had originally been collected to make some sort of dinghy museum, think they were all stored in a big barn in Norfolk. Mostly pre WWII uk dinghies

I hunted through to see if I could find my grandfathers boat from the mid 30s but no luck. I heard ‘a lot’ of money was paid by an overseas buyer for the whole / nearly whole collection.  I haven’t heard anything since but if Shanghai Sailor can see them physically I could see if any of the classic guys in the UK have further info.

I think that photo is in its original storage in UK pre auction…
Nope - taken by a Chinese sailing judge friend of mine in Ningbo. All the photos I have are from his visit.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Thanks Alan. I saw the same story Andrew mentioned above a few years back. Weird how a vintage UK collection ends up in China.

I hope at least some of those boats get some attention they deserve but I would think they may need to go back to get it.
At least they are in a secure, dry warehouse type building instead of the old damp polytunnel they were in.

The comment about them needing to "go back to get it", quite frankly, typically underestimates the skill of the traditional Chinese woodworker. I have seen the skill of the Chinese boatbuilder first hand when they refurbished one of our Quarter Tonners. She is 40 years years old and she looks like she popped out of the mould the other day. The yard that did this, 'Shanghai Double Happiness' is now the Chinese builder for the Asian market of the J-70.

I would also hope they ultimately get better care and attention than they clearly had not for many years back home in the UK

A display of how old sailing as a sport actually is may serve to benefit the continuing growth of our sport in China. Home for the past 4 years of the largest one design keelboat regatta in Asia with 53 entries for the latest China Club Challenge Match which was sadly postponed due to COVID. 

Our sport is small but growing with encouraging progress. When I arrived in 2000 there was no members run sailing clubs and I imported the first privately owned racing yacht in 2003. I know it was the first because Shanghai's chief customs officer had to write (and then get approved by Beijing) a new set of rules to allow her import. There are now yachts up to and including a Swan 82 and in 2016 a Chinese boat won ORCi in the Rolex Sydney Hobart and was also on the IRC podium.

Still a small scene compared to the west perhaps but with 15.000km of coastline, hundred of islands and more millionaires than Europe I have no doubt that the organic growth will continue.

Someone here cared enough about these boats enough to shell out to buy them, pay the not inconsiderable costs to ship them to Ningbo and deal with the challenges of obtaining import position for ancient boats in (non- fumigated) timber.

As soon as I have time to sort out a visit to the "Museum of Ancient Chinese Ships" I will get over there armed with camera and tape measure.

IMG_3519.JPG

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
@shanghaisailorI hope you are right about the intentions of the new owner. Would be shame for those boats to languish in yet another dusty storage area. Perhaps when you visit you can learn more about plans and try to facilitate an accurate restoration followed by on the water use of at least one boat? There's a wealth of information regarding restoration of these small wooden sailing dinghies.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
@shanghaisailorI hope you are right about the intentions of the new owner. Would be shame for those boats to languish in yet another dusty storage area. Perhaps when you visit you can learn more about plans and try to facilitate an accurate restoration followed by on the water use of at least one boat? There's a wealth of information regarding restoration of these small wooden sailing dinghies.
Well he/she/they have put in a fair bit of effort and a significant financial input to bring them to Ningbo. If it is dusty it is because it is nice dry storage it is much better than damp.

I actually do have a number of boat restoration/maintenance books in my library and as I mentioned before

Whether they are actually used on the water or encourage youngsters to get on the water here they will serve a useful purpose. I suspect where they are is in some way attached to an educational establishment. Perhaps students could be encouraged to get their hands dirty with sorting them out and I may even be able to point them in the right direction with some elements having in the (admittedly dim and distant) past restored a few dinghies.

We will see.

Yu'd be surprised what one can sometimes discover here. Do you recognise her? I'll give you a clue. She is the only boat, to the best of my knowledge, that has won the UK IRC Championship back to back and she was undergoing a refit alongside my QT

IMG_3516.JPG

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Is it a Corby?
Sorry Gone Ballistic, didn't spot your response until just now.

More than just any Corby. She is Oystercatcher 23 which was sponsored by Barlo Plastics and she is one quick boat. We tried to encourage the owner to spend a bit f money on her and have a couple of new appendages and she would destroy anything here on IRC Handicap. I would love to get my hands on her and may try again this year to talk the owner round.

Cheers

SS

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
http://www.corby-yachts.com/hummingbird.html
I sailed on her once as Mariners Cove when she was in Ireland. Did a race from Kinsale to the Daunt Rock off Cork Harbour in blazing sunshine, shorts and T-shirts. A rare day in Ireland. Great big race cockpit but she was getting a bit tired then and was being left behind by newer IRC boats. 
Lots of Irish IRC racers ended up out in the Far East, Blondie, Voodoo Chile and I think one of the Tiamat’s. 

Latest posts