Batten Cars for an Antal HS22 track

Techtoy

Auckland
Anyone with experience or recommendations for the batten cars/slides to use on an Antal HS22 track for a fully battened race main?    I’m not interested in replacing the track, the focus is what cars to use. Antal options are variations on sliders, none have ball bearings - so how do these perform when trying to reef short handed under load? A search online suggests that karver has options that fit the track and maybe with ballbearing as an option  - anyone used anything like that?

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Anyone with experience or recommendations for the batten cars/slides to use on an Antal HS22 track for a fully battened race main?    I’m not interested in replacing the track, the focus is what cars to use. Antal options are variations on sliders, none have ball bearings - so how do these perform when trying to reef short handed under load? A search online suggests that karver has options that fit the track and maybe with ballbearing as an option  - anyone used anything like that?
Don’t know your application. 

I’ve used Antal sliders , non ball bearing 

simple and reliable 

they slide easily , low friction..and give a compact mainsail stack when the mainsail is down , reefed or stored 

I like them 

Techtoy

Auckland
Slug - Is yours a fully battened main?

My scenario is a luff a bit over 15m so around 16 cars. 

Do you know if you are using the Antal standard car or the race system version?

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Slug - Is yours a fully battened main?

My scenario is a luff a bit over 15m so around 16 cars. 

Do you know if you are using the Antal standard car or the race system version?
The antal system is on a 40 ft racer cruiser that I sail on occasionally in Italy , Naples 

I don’t know all the details,  only that  the system in several years old and functions correctly 

only the top batten was a full batten 

you should ask a sailmaker for insights 

The antal system is on a 40 ft racer cruiser that I sail on occasionally in Italy , Naples 

I don’t know all the details,  only that  the system in several years old and functions correctly 

only the top batten was a full batten 

you should ask a sailmaker for insights 
I've been using Antal sliders on a full battened main with 50' hoist. I agree with Slug - the system is reliable, slides easily and stacks small. No moving parts is good. I squirt some Mclube on the sliders once in a while. Never a problem. The sail drops like a ton of bricks.

Last edited by a moderator:

garyedelman

Anarchist
Give the folks at Euro Marine Trading in Newport a call.  They're the US distributors for Antal.  They provide great service in my experience.

I have a Karver KMS40 track and cars and they don't have ball bearings. You can get the cars with a different plastic insert made for the Antal HS22 but it stays a slider car.