Battle Flag Etiquette

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
Once upon a time, when we were actually holding regattas, boats would proudly fly their battle flags (pennants won at previous regattas) at the dock. 

Assuming there will be regattas again one day, what if you sell your boat and get another one?

Is it bad taste to fly your old battle flags on your new boat, or do you have to start your flag collection from scratch with each boat?

jesposito

Super Anarchist
Once upon a time, when we were actually holding regattas, boats would proudly fly their battle flags (pennants won at previous regattas) at the dock. 

Assuming there will be regattas again one day, what if you sell your boat and get another one?

Is it bad taste to fly your old battle flags on your new boat, or do you have to start your flag collection from scratch with each boat?
No

Been There Won That!

Fly them proudly

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
I dunno, if the battle flag has some family history why not hang onto it... it's not really part of the normal gear and equipment etc... 

What's the chances the boats name is gonna change at some point anyway and the flag will end up in the dumpster?

If you like it, keep it.. if it's a condition of the sale, then let it go... 

Retire your flags, It's over

32905604-8708651-A_boat_decked_out_in_Trump_flags_takes_part_in_a_pro_Trump_boat_-a-41_1599551520483.jpg

fastyacht

Super Anarchist

Never heard of this. Then again I am a Quaker.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
I dunno, if the battle flag has some family history why not hang onto it... it's not really part of the normal gear and equipment etc... 

What's the chances the boats name is gonna change at some point anyway and the flag will end up in the dumpster?

If you like it, keep it.. if it's a condition of the sale, then let it go... 

It's worth mentioning that there is a distinct difference between the battle flag, and the brag flags.
Good points.

I was mostly concerned about committing a faux pas by flying the regatta pennants (brag flags) on the new boat. 

Sounds like it's not a problem.

Thanks all!!!

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I don't like battle flags. A little too "Rah Rah cheerleader" for me.

I sort of liked the little blue pennants for each Ensenada Race sailed. These showed the owner's participation or the boat's. You decide and nobody cares about it. I like when a boat has so many they reached all the way to the deck! I never flew one, but it's kind of cool.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
Cristoforo said:
The 'brag'  flags of a sold boat go with the seller to a box in his attic. The new boat didn't win those flags.  
That's exactly what I was wondering - the flags are really won by the boat/owner combo.

Either one changes and you retire the flags?

Ultraman

Anarchist
Vancouver
Cristoforo said:
The 'brag'  flags of a sold boat go with the seller to a box in his attic. The new boat didn't win those flags.  
The battle flag - seller would keep to hang behind his bar in his basement. Or use on new boat. 
New trophies can go on the main floor of the house  

Its all in here chapter 12 

Made me look...  Chapter 12 is Weather. 

LOL!

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
My Dad sent the big Battle flag along to the new owner who has yet to win any races against a tight fleet, so it’s more of a season end ritual for now. He kept his many Bay flag roosters and the fleet championship flags hang with the other championship flags at our club.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Keep the battle flag, and also remove the name from the boat as part of the sale unless you are ok with the next owner using the same name.