Battle Flag Etiquette

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
So no boat can "win" a race or regatta without the crew.  There are good crews that win regattas with Boat X, and not as good crews that don't win regattas with the same kind of boat.  Brag flags go with the owner/crew, not the boat IMHO.  That said, really good crews don't need any brag flags, they just go out an win the next regatta, and everyone knows them...

Battle flags go on the owner's "I love me" wall...or can be the backdrop of the trophy case for all the trophies you won with the old boat if that's your thing...

some dude

Super Anarchist
I like 'em.  Makes it much easier to find my boat in the marina after libations....
Aren't you a little long in the tooth to be sleeping on the boat at the regatta?

Hang them in the garage. Go win new ones.  Hang those in the garage too. 

LB 15

Cunt
Been a while since you went to Hobart?

Or maybe haven't been arriving until the winners have left?  (Not surprising with the Line Honours winner,  I've been passed by one heading north outside Tasman, & we finished on the 30th!)
No just trying to inject a little self depreciating humor into a rather pointless topic. 

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Battle flags are colourful and fun and can add to the occasion. Especially en masse.

Don’t care what they are, how old they are, how many there are, but they do say something about you and your boat, so choose wisely and for the occasion. I used to fly an international K flag with my lot, but very few people ever understood the significance or the message.

The only battleflag etiquette necessary is to take them down at night if it is windy.... they make a racket if you are trying to sleep on board or nearby. Especially if there is a marina full of them....

014240E5-50B6-4BC5-AFC8-5CFB959E3416.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Back in the day, when the plastic boats would start hoisting their paltry brag strings, the R boats would put up 50 yrs of flags. They belong to the boat, if it’s sold and sailed under the continuing name. Just as the boats name gets engraved on the silver. 

Pog

Seems like if it is a boat with some legacy, selling them with the boat would be cool so they stay connected.  Write your name or sign them to mark your place in history.

If they aren't going to be used by the new owner of the old boat, you should keep them and fly them on the new boat.  But pick out the best of the best ones that you have memories of winning, and mark on the flags that they are from the old boat.  And then as they get tired or as you win new ones you can replace them with new regatta flags.  Say every time you get a new flag that you won with the new boat, you retire an old one.  Hang it up in your garage/shop or give it a viking funeral by burning with rum....

I grew up racing on Lake Ontario and it was impressive to see some of the successful racers and all the regatta flags they had up the forestay and down the backstay!!  Some even only flew their 1st place flags...

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Back in the day, when the plastic boats would start hoisting their paltry brag strings, the R boats would put up 50 yrs of flags. They belong to the boat, if it’s sold and sailed under the continuing name. Just as the boats name gets engraved on the silver. 
There used to be R at Rocky River.

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
by burning with rum....

I grew up racing on Lake Ontario and it was impressive to see some of the successful racers and all the regatta flags they had up the forestay and down the backstay!!  Some even only flew their 1st place flags...
Ah, do you recall Kathea II ? (I was foredeck on Vitesse, not quite as successful)

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Cristoforo said:
The 'brag'  flags of a sold boat go with the seller to a box in his attic. The new boat didn't win those flags.  
The battle flag - seller would keep to hang behind his bar in his basement. Or use on new boat. 
New trophies can go on the main floor of the house  

Its all in here chapter 12 

Read that, got the cert...LOL..  Dad made mr take it before he let me take the big boat out alone...  I think i got the cert at about 13....

Battle flag is the boats name/logo stays with boat, the boats calling card on display.

brag flag is the races won, etc stays with owner, you dont give your trophys to the new owner do you?

Latest posts