Battle Flag Etiquette

LB 15

Cunt
Yeah,  that's the way I read it,  but if you leave an opening that big someone just won't be able to resist it.

This time it was me!
Fair enough- that’s why I bowled that slow full toss in the first place. But you need to put them on the roof of the stand, not just a gentle push though mid on for a single.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Fair enough- that’s why I bowled that slow full toss in the first place. But you need to put them on the roof of the stand, not just a gentle push though mid on for a single.
You should see what would happen on the Haverford College cricket pitch when a converted baseball player at bat received a full toss. Here they had all been well schooled in proper cricket batting technique and were really very good but the moment that ball came in full, immediate gear switching, bat up, and WHAM! Baseball style for a six.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
I think you can remove the Anglo.. I've never heard of it in the UK... if it happens it must be rare..
Not even American.  On the US east coast, I've never seen any trophy flags awarded.  I know it's common on the great lakes.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Keep the battle flag, and also remove the name from the boat as part of the sale unless you are ok with the next owner using the same name. 
Names stay with boats.   New owner can decide to take the risk of changing but there are the boat's feelings to be considered here.

Its not like you have to change your name whenever ypu get a new job

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Names stay with boats.   New owner can decide to take the risk of changing but there are the boat's feelings to be considered here.

Its not like you have to change your name whenever ypu get a new job
I mentioned it because the previous owner of my last racing boat asked us to change the name after we had purchased it - he wanted to use the name on his next boat.  We refused.  He was mad at us for years, especially since the name became associated with our racing program and everywhere he went he was reminded of that.  He's dead now, so I guess he isn't mad any more.

If you are planning to re-use the name, and don't want the name used on the old boat, you have to take it off the old boat prior to sale.

I agree that boat names should not be changed, because the small gods that live within them are offended, and must be placated somehow.  Usually expenditure of the GDP of a small country on renovations and upgrades will do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Cristoforo said:
Bollocks. It’s very common to require a name change when selling a boat. Sometimes the seller will pay to have it done. How many Pyewackets or Anarchy’s or Hustlers do you want sailing around? 

Friend bought a J105 and the seller came 3 months later and asked him to change the name. Offered $500 to cover the cost. Friend said sure. He didn’t care about the name he was gonna change it anyway. 
This would probably have worked for us too.   At the time (early 80's) it was expensive to change the name.  Vinyl lettering is much cheaper now.  $500 buys a lot of beer for the crew.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC

I mentioned it because the previous owner of my last racing boat asked us to change the name after we had purchased it - he wanted to use the name on his next boat.  We refused.  He was mad at us for years, especially since the name became associated with our racing program and everywhere he went he was reminded of that.  He's dead now, so I guess he isn't mad any more.

Cristoforo said:
Bollocks. It’s very common to require a name change when selling a boat. Sometimes the seller will pay to have it done. How many Pyewackets or Anarchy’s or Hustlers do you want sailing around? 
As an owner I can understand the sentimentality of a boat name, especially when the boat name is a play on the owner's name (e.g. Wild Oats).

But as a competitor I find it particularly annoying when somebody sells their boat, keeps the name, and shows up at a regatta with a different boat.

I hate reading the fleet list and looking forward to dicing it up with our arch nemesis, only to find the owner got a new boat and it isn't the same thing after all. 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
There is a proper ceremony when renaming a boat, some kind of alcohol is involved.  And words.  That being said, if the name is Predator and the flag arrives looking like Barney then when the ship is destroyed in the hurricane the flag goes with it.  True story.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I agree that boat names should not be changed, because the small gods that live within them are offended, and must be placated somehow.  Usually expenditure of the GDP of a small country on renovations and upgrades will do it.
The Penates?

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
As an owner I can understand the sentimentality of a boat name, especially when the boat name is a play on the owner's name (e.g. Wild Oats).

But as a competitor I find it particularly annoying when somebody sells their boat, keeps the name, and shows up at a regatta with a different boat.

I hate reading the fleet list and looking forward to dicing it up with our arch nemesis, only to find the owner got a new boat and it isn't the same thing after all. 
Imagine if Courageous had been named Intrepid!  That would have royally pissed me off!

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
I don't like battle flags. A little too "Rah Rah cheerleader" for me.

I sort of liked the little blue pennants for each Ensenada Race sailed. These showed the owner's participation or the boat's. You decide and nobody cares about it. I like when a boat has so many they reached all the way to the deck! I never flew one, but it's kind of cool.
After you accumulated ten blue pennants they gave you a yellow pennant and you started over with blue pennants.   Always impressive to see a boat with two yellow pennants but the champ has to be Dr. Vic Stern (RIP), who  sailed in the Newport to Ensenada race for 45 (4 yellow pennants) years on his catamaran the Imi Loa, his last race being in 2006.  You can't meet a nicer sailor.

kpj5jr-27ensenada1lg.jpg

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
That's exactly what I was wondering - the flags are really won by the boat/owner combo.

Either one changes and you retire the flags?
I'm not sure I understand.  I win a flag, I stuff it in the plastic bin with all the other flags.  Why would I brag at the start of a race?

As they say in the stock market - previous performance does not in ANY way guarantee future performance.

I've seen it in the parades, like in the Black River at the start of the Port Huron to Mac.  But they drop them the second they are out of the river - they just put them up for the spectators.  But we didn't bother with that either.