Bayview-Mac Docking Assignments

Drifter

I see that docking zones have been assigned to most of the boats on the scratch sheets. Now, I understand that some boats are constrained by draft and will get docked where they fit. However, it seems to me that the traditional deep draft slips in the main harbor are being filled with 35-45 foot boats while the 50+ footers are being sent to the coal dock. What is their rationale behind this? Wouldn't it make more sense to give a better dock to someone who payed more to do the race, assuming they can fit? Are the slips on the south side of the main harbor really too shallow for big boats? Or is this just Bayview giving preferential treatment to people they feel are more deserving? Flame suit on!

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
Many of the larger boats do a turn and burn thing and head to Chicago. Being buried deep in the raft and busting it up is a pain. Getting off the coal docks is a bit easier. Just my thought on this.

big chicken

Super Anarchist
I'm on a boat
Since you feel that since the big boats are paying a little more for entry they should be entitled to "better" docks, perhaps they could also pay a little more and automatically be entitled to get a flag. Oh, wait, they do already buy their flags by buying the biggest fastest boats, don't they?

Skull and Bones

Super Anarchist
Lake Huron
Since you feel that since the big boats are paying a little more for entry they should be entitled to "better" docks, perhaps they could also pay a little more and automatically be entitled to get a flag. Oh, wait, they do already buy their flags by buying the biggest fastest boats, don't they?
Whoh there dude. he's asking a legitimate question. No need for a personal attack.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I'm going to take a wild guess based on past experience and assume Bayview made the choice because it's a hell of a lot easier to stack little boats in the marina. Two 30 footers can cram nose to nose inside a 50' slip. It's ugly, but it works.

Those poor bastards have to deal with thousands of tired, smelly, somewhat crabby sailors when we arrive at the island. Just say thank you, protect your boat the best you can, and go get drunk.

Will

As a guy who has never done the race on anything bigger than 37 ft, I would welcome the chance to be in a slip, not have to crawl over 3 boats just to get to a dock and then wake up and wonder how the hell I crawled over 3 boats to get my drunk ass back on the boat the prior night!

I believe the organizers have a plan based on reality and ergonomics. They volunteer to serve on this board or committee because they care about this event and want to try and make it better each year. My advice, if you think you are smarter than everyone else, is to volunteer your time to help out next year.

L Z

Reporters
I believe the organizers have a plan based on reality and ergonomics. They volunteer to serve on this board or committee because they care about this event and want to try and make it better each year. My advice, if you think you are smarter than everyone else, is to volunteer your time to help out next year.
Right on.