Belicheck, Medal of Freedom

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Yep... good stuff

I'm not a big fan of country music, partly because I've just been around so much of it all my life and so much of it is the same shit-kicking over and over and over. But Dolly is one of the best, has done some different/original stuff, as well as having the reputation of being a very nice and real-life person. If anybody deserves recognition as "a big star" then she definitely does.

- DSK
I wouldn't call Dolly Parton country. She's definitely a blue grass singer who has, at times, crossed over into country. But you'd probably go a year between hearing her on country radio.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I wouldn't call Dolly Parton country. She's definitely a blue grass singer who crossed over into country. You'd probably go a year between hearing her on country radio.

View attachment 426062
You'd be wrong.

She got her start with Porter Wagner, country music's version of Liberace. No more bluegrass than Bullwinkle & Rocky. And on the country radio stations around here, judging by my random sample of listening, it would rarely be a week that you didn't hear her... or some other artists covering her songs, which is getting more common.

But she's also a good enough musician to do other kinds, bluegrass is pretty close but she's done some pop and rock n'roll-y stuff.

I dunno if Bill Monroe liked her (he'd be a fool if he didn't) but Emmylou Harris sure does seem to. So you got that much!

- DSK

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Nashville is in the same state but she grew up in Pittman Center, out in Appalachia, east of even Knoxville where I used to live. And yes, she's in the Country Music Hall of Fame. When I listen to country out here in CA, it's corporate country and I've never heard her on that but that's because it's corporate country. When I listen to bluegrass it's on KPFA which is marxist radio. So my sample may be somewhat skewed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts