Ben Stein, the Michael Moore of intelligent design?

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I enjoy a good comedy. It should spin up the moonbats but won't convince "Big Science".

flaps15

Super Anarchist
dna level c
It amazes me from the first trailer and how I've heard others talk that we (myself) as atheists "show contempt for the people that have religious faith" to quote Jeff B in another thread. When in fact this couldn't be further from the truth. If there is an alternative to evolution/natural selection/Darwinism if you prefer and factual theory besides one 2000 year old book to make your point, bring it on, I'll look at it. I have always believed that whatever your religious faith, it is up to you the individual to practice as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I just don't believe it has a place in the public schools or in government. This concerns me, I'm beginning to wonder if I have any place in the Republican Party anymore.

Dog

Super Anarchist
It amazes me from the first trailer and how I've heard others talk that we (myself) as atheists "show contempt for the people that have religious faith" to quote Jeff B in another thread. When in fact this couldn't be further from the truth. If there is an alternative to evolution/natural selection/Darwinism if you prefer and factual theory besides one 2000 year old book to make your point, bring it on, I'll look at it. I have always believed that whatever your religious faith, it is up to you the individual to practice as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I just don't believe it has a place in the public schools or in government. This concerns me, I'm beginning to wonder if I have any place in the Republican Party anymore.
Darwinism does not explain life or the existance of the universe. Creationism deals with a completely different subject than Darwinism. There is no scientific explanation for life. If you believe life happened without a god that belief, like the belief that god was involved, is based in faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

flaps15

Super Anarchist
dna level c
Darwinism does not explain life or the existance of the universe. Creationism deals with a completely different subject than Darwinism. There is no scientific explanation for life. If you believe life happened without a god that belief, like the belief that god was involved, is based in faith.

Why does there need to be an explanation? Whats wrong with saying we really don't have all of the answers yet.

saxdog

Super Anarchist

So, do you agree Creationism is not science and should not be taught as such?

MoeAlfa

Super Anarchist
Creationism deals with a completely different subject than Darwinism.
I don't think that's true, Dog. Creationism in its "scientific" forms purports to be an alternative explanation for biological diversity.

Also, "Darwinism" has various negative political connotations. e.g., "social Darwinism" and a narrow scientific meaning, i.e., strict reliance on selective pressure as the force behind speciation and extinction. A more neutral and encompassing term would be, "the theory of evolution". The choice of words by the anti-scientific side is completely intentional.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
I wish there was an Intelligent Design curriculum when I was in school. Easy to ace. Every question on every exam could be answered "God did it". Of course that wouldn't make me the scientific wonder I am today. But my GPA would have benefited.

MoeAlfa

Super Anarchist
A couple more gratuitous comments:

The intelligent design critique comes almost entirely from outside biology, which explains why its proponents are willing to reject the overarching theory on the basis of various inconsistencies in the evidence for evolution. Biologists, on the other hand, find the theory indispensable for important areas of work apart from evolutionary biology per se, e.g., molecular genetics, despite its imperfections. Even if evolution is wrong, it's got a great deal more explanatory power and usefulness as a basis for theoretical and applied biology (the stuff that prevents and cures disease) than intelligent design.

Consider a group of second rate biologists rejecting post-Newtonian physics because weak forces aren't well understood and the Big Bang is tough concept that isn't in the Bible.

That's a gross mischaracterization at best. "Science" or better scientists, look for natural explanations for those things we currently do not understand. 1)There are hypothesis for the generation of life based on repeatable experiments and observations in nature, and 2) there is no basis to believe in something for which there is no evidence in nature or in experimentation.

I don't believe in a god because there is no evidence to suggest one. The disbelief in a god does not require faith. I believe in a non-supernatural process for the generation of life because the system it generated in is a system of natural laws and processes. A natural explanation for the generation of life does not require faith if there is no logical alternative.

To put it another way, even though we don't have a complete explanation for how all cancers are formed, does that mean that cancer is created by God, and something that should be accepted on faith?

NS

G

I don't have time today to post some examples of the contempt shown by some atheists here towards people who profess to have a religion. Maybe later if I can get back to it. You may be in the minority and good on ya for your tolerance. Others here, not so much...

For the record I'm a card-carrying agnostic because I don't have the answers and at least I'm rational enough to admit it. Neither side knows for sure what the REAL truth is and its arrogant IMO to think you do.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
My contempt comes from the moonbats who try to force their religion into our schools and government. I really don't care if a bunch of irrational people want to do weird stuff on their own dime. If you want to live a life of delusion, have at it.

But because I call a spade a spade, doesn't mean I have contempt for every irrational person.

G

My contempt comes from the moonbats who try to force their religion into our schools and government. I really don't care if a bunch of irrational people want to do weird stuff on their own dime. If you want to live a life of delusion, have at it. But because I call a spade a spade, doesn't mean I have contempt for every irrational person.
Your honor, I present exhibit #1 of the aformentioned arrogance....

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
B) -->

QUOTE(Jeff B @ Apr 9 2008, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your honor, I present exhibit #1 of the aformentioned arrogance....
Faith is irrational. That's why they call it faith.