BENE slow first 235

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Still contemplating the jump into human sized boats.

noticed at the local marina a first 235  fin keel. that has been sitting out of the water rig down for what appears to be a couple years.  Haven’t pinged the “harbor master” yet to see if they’d be willing to connect me with the owner.

Firgure id be doing some beer can races and weekend regattas.   Plus since the boat has a somwhat livable interior, maybe some light weekend overnight cruising with shmbo.

i have not joined the 235 forum yet for info, I figure they’d be slightly biased in favor of the boat,

im sure there are plenty of opinions around here that would be welcome.

yes I’m aware that on its best day it is a 5-6 ktsb.

what say you all?

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
There was one that shared a dock with me for years,  a wing-keeled version owned by a very nice guy that kept it in great,  if utterly stock shape.  I was always impressed by the accommodations.  We sailed it together one time and I was astounded at the lethargy on display - perhaps it wasn't a nice clean bottom or the shapeless bedsheets he hoisted where the sails are supposed to go but I was never quite able to get my head around how stuck to the sea it was - (that one day)  maybe I just got it on a really bad day - wasn't very breezy (for here) iirc.

jetfuel

Anarchist
Toronto
They are great little boats 

very solid and capable 

I had one for a few years and loved it but moved up to a Figaro 

I don’t think there is a better small boat  that combines Interior setup and sailing ability 

put a asymmetrical on it and have fun

Tbere is a good owners website 

beneteau235.com

gkny

I think that there is a better keel that was designed for it that looked to be Abigail improvement

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Owned one for years, decent little boat. Don’t the the 235 name fool you, it’s exactly 21.5 feet long. But very big for its size due to amazing space utilization. Go compare to a Catalina 22 (exactly same hull length) to see what I mean. By all means snap up any fin keel version you find, much better than the US-spec wing on 90% of them.

things to watch for:

the headliner will fall

the z190 mast section is underspecd, and the original spreader system was iffy. A bad combo

party due to the above, the rigging includes a baby-stay. Many sail without it. 

the 3-post bow pulpit was designed before roller furling was a thing.

cockpit best for short handed / cruising, a cluster while crewed racing  

but a fun quick little boat, and driving from the rail with an extension is one of the great joys in sailing. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Gk,  yeah I saw that lead fin/bulb was designed aftermarket. To replace the steel one. But I think it also depends the draft.  Given I’d be sailing on the Potomac. I really don’t want to go deeper.

Jack,  thanks for the feedback.  Yeah the cockpit looked a bit short maybe no more than 2 in the cockpit with the other folk having scramble under the boom or Around the mast for tacks.  

Still need to locate the owner before I start crawling around the boat...this could still be a pipe dream.  

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Gk,  yeah I saw that lead fin/bulb was designed aftermarket. To replace the steel one. But I think it also depends the draft.  Given I’d be sailing on the Potomac. I really don’t want to go deeper.

Jack,  thanks for the feedback.  Yeah the cockpit looked a bit short maybe no more than 2 in the cockpit with the other folk having scramble under the boom or Around the mast for tacks.  

Still need to locate the owner before I start crawling around the boat...this could still be a pipe dream.  
biggest issue is mid-boom sheeting puts the traveler on a small bridge deck just aft of the companionway. Hence headsail trimmers must sit between the driver and main trimmer. 

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
biggest issue is mid-boom sheeting puts the traveler on a small bridge deck just aft of the companionway. Hence headsail trimmers must sit between the driver and main trimmer. 
Which makes it nice an tidy for short handed or small crew members.  

How about the single backstay.  Did interefere with the tiller/steering at all

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Which makes it nice an tidy for short handed or small crew members.  

How about the single backstay.  Did interefere with the tiller/steering at all
An ideal shorthand setup on the boat would have the traveler boom-end and back by the driver. Then you drive dinghy-style. But the cockpit lockers prohibit that.

the backstay is slightly offset and looks kinda odd, but works OK. In practice it does not effect/limit the normal range of the tiller. 

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
An ideal shorthand setup on the boat would have the traveler boom-end and back by the driver. Then you drive dinghy-style. But the cockpit lockers prohibit that.
What if you moved it to the floor and aft, like the first 210.  Could the boom support near end sheeting,  could the floor of the cockpit handle the main sheet loads, how much of performance hit would it be to have the main sheet stuck centerline

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
What if you moved it to the floor and aft, like the first 210.  Could the boom support near end sheeting,  could the floor of the cockpit handle the main sheet loads, how much of performance hit would it be to have the main sheet stuck centerline
Well I suppose you could, but it is long way down, so a small shin-buster traveller between the footwells would be best, or a blarney post. Anytime you cannot get the boom to centerline it's bad, and the longer the sheet run is, the worse it is. 

Callahan

Anarchist
Hey Jackdaw, "Blarney Post" ? Is that for an Irish mainsheet system? Is Darby O'Gill and  or one of his little people your mainsheet trimmer? Most of us have a Barney post without the purple dinosaur. We need his weight on the rail.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
barney blarney,    it would make a good option  but still gotta get the boat first.  hell it might not even be available

thanks for the feedback folks.  I'm going to talk to the marina today and see if they can put me in contact with the owner

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I've always thought they looked like a sweet shorthanded setup....basically an old-school Mini, with accomodations.  I might upgrade the rudder/gudgeons...

I thought the class website was gorgeous, but pretty moribund.  The deep keel thing was a Leif Beiley design and his shop did the pour, many years ago.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Grand.  I’ve already been there and ask for permission to join to get more info. Unfortunalty you gotta be a member to read the forum.  Once I’m in,  I guess I could do a vin search and see if I can track down the owner that way if the marina doesn’t come through.   

Grand.  I’ve already been there and ask for permission to join to get more info. Unfortunalty you gotta be a member to read the forum.  Once I’m in,  I guess I could do a vin search and see if I can track down the owner that way if the marina doesn’t come through.   
i always wanted a 235,  it was the right size of the lakes around here and had enough accommodations down below to make it a decent weekender..   didn't find one with a full keel though,  i've heard the wing keels weren't the best sailing boats around..

some years ago, i met a young couple who bought one and were fixing it up to do a grand tour.. they were going to drive it up to great lakes, head towards the st lawrence, and then down the east coast ...(before the internet rage)   i wonder how far they got..