Beneteau-South Carolina

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Import fees shut them down?
What do you mean? The SC plant doesn’t produce any unique models that get shipped back to EU, most of the focus has been US & Caribbean yacht charter companies that are probably all unable to service their debt let alone order new boats now. 

They still have a motor boat plant in Michigan. Beneteau group has new leadership and is looking to rationalize the entire lineup 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
unacceptable risks of relying on charter industry right now is what shut them down.
It’s South Carolina so not like the cost of shutdown is that high - French executives must be like woah seriously okay thank you southern America. We’ll return in the future. 

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
What do you mean? The SC plant doesn’t produce any unique models that get shipped back to EU, most of the focus has been US & Caribbean yacht charter companies that are probably all unable to service their debt let alone order new boats now. 

They still have a motor boat plant in Michigan. Beneteau group has new leadership and is looking to rationalize the entire lineup 
I thought a lot of items used in Marion were imported from France.  Didn't know if the recent Tariffs affected them.  Last few times I drove by the plant there were only trawlers in the lot.  Haven't seen a sailboat there in a long time.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
BravoBravo said:
Tartan may not be far behind, new ownership, new facility... whimpering 
A lot of yards are going to go under in the next 20 months - some will get consolidated, others will disappear forever. 

Only encouraging news is a lot of the small yards, remembering the lesson of Archambault, have been very conservative re expansion plans and haven’t heavily leveraged themselves and have steady backlog book of orders. 

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleB

I feel like these business closures are going to collapse this country.  We have nearly zero control over this virus, and were full of stupid people who cannot wear a mask or distance a bit.  Were going to be treatment like a diseased colony and no one will look to us for business or vacation.  But hey, a lot of people are still voting for the Cheeto because we are doing so well!!

Miffy

Super Anarchist
I feel like these business closures are going to collapse this country.  We have nearly zero control over this virus, and were full of stupid people who cannot wear a mask or distance a bit.  Were going to be treatment like a diseased colony and no one will look to us for business or vacation.  But hey, a lot of people are still voting for the Cheeto because we are doing so well!!
In March-April it looked like we were about 2 weeks away from turning a corner - but then the cheeto & "herd immunity/silent tranmission/short term morons" all got in on the act of undermining another 2 weeks and this is what we have. 

It is like economic advice from people who have zero ability to delay instant gratification. 

ghost37

Boston
The scary bit is that biz closures, unemployment, personal finances, etc are all lagged. Likely just seeing the tip of the iceberg here. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadlock

The scary bit is that biz closures, unemployment, personal finances, etc are all lagged. Likely just seeing the tip of the iceberg here. 
The number of free boats on my local craigslist (not just dinghies, 25'+ keelboats) jumped from 0 to 8 today. Including trailer. Last time I saw a free keelboat in any condition was about 12 years ago.

Latest posts