Bermuda 2010

TimClark

Super Anarchist
NYC
I'm looking for a ride still (hint hint...done the race before, fit 18 year old, EMT, PM for resume), but I'm planning on being there for the party even if I can't sail down.

CowboyKell

Super Anarchist
I'm in on the King 40 "American Girl."

Can't believe I'm the first of the crew to chime in, its a gung ho bunch. I'll even wager that X X-yachter is the first to sign up when the web site is open, he was the last two races I believe.

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
After 8 in a row, I think I will pass this year to go see/sail the tall ships in Bremerhaven.

Apparently, owner put on a short keel and plans to not race the boat again. Too bad, had a good group in 'the band'.

Sail safe!

Mastadon

New York
After 8 in a row, I think I will pass this year to go see/sail the tall ships in Bremerhaven.
Apparently, owner put on a short keel and plans to not race the boat again. Too bad, had a good group in 'the band'.

Sail safe!
You know Lenny won't leave you on the dock if ya want to go...

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
hmm....all the races I've done, and having sailed to/from Bermuda a bunch of times....but have never done the Bermuda race! May have to finally succumb one of these years...

My elligibility has been discussed in other threads, I'll most likely miss it by one day.

I'm looking for a ride still (hint hint...done the race before, fit 18 year old, EMT, PM for resume), but I'm planning on being there for the party even if I can't sail down.
Ahh but what happens when the EMT gets hit in the head by the boom?

hmm....all the races I've done, and having sailed to/from Bermuda a bunch of times....but have never done the Bermuda race! May have to finally succumb one of these years...
It's gonna be tough having to sail with a crew :lol:

I kid

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
I got an invitation to sail on my Dad's old boat Carina. Not sure if I can afford the trip though. Everybody in my family has done this race several times(dad won it 3 times), it's always been on my to-do list. Anybody care to give me an estimate on what it would cost to do it? Just the cost after getting underway, ie. hotel (not sure I could stay on the boat but I would check) airfare back to North east, meals et all. A ball park would great.

Will

StayinStrewn

Super Anarchist
Stratford, CT
stay on the boat! or find some hottie and stay w/ her for a couple days....

i just checked airfare for myself and its ranges obviously, but 250 give or take will get you back to the NE...if you don't have offshore gear, than you'll need all that for $200-700 ++....also, some boats ask/require crew to chip in for food, life raft rental, entry, etc...just ask and don't be surprised if you have to pony up your share...

CowboyKell

Super Anarchist
I got an invitation to sail on my Dad's old boat Carina. Not sure if I can afford the trip though. Everybody in my family has done this race several times(dad won it 3 times), it's always been on my to-do list. Anybody care to give me an estimate on what it would cost to do it? Just the cost after getting underway, ie. hotel (not sure I could stay on the boat but I would check) airfare back to North east, meals et all. A ball park would great.Will
I can get you back to Stamford Conn. for $50.

Flying Wasp

Super Anarchist
Marblehead
I got an invitation to sail on my Dad's old boat Carina. Not sure if I can afford the trip though. Everybody in my family has done this race several times(dad won it 3 times), it's always been on my to-do list. Anybody care to give me an estimate on what it would cost to do it? Just the cost after getting underway, ie. hotel (not sure I could stay on the boat but I would check) airfare back to North east, meals et all. A ball park would great.Will
First of all, you get an invite for this race and you go. It's just that much fun.

Bermuda is not cheap but it's worth it. Food is +20-30% of what you pay in the states. Drinks are reasonable at about $6-7 per and the YC has drink tickets so you don't have to keep wads of cash on you. Everything is based on the US dollar and it's $1 US = $1 Bermudian.

The big hotels are hugely expensive $350-450/night but there are cheaper places to find lodging (will let you know after I've booked mine - hint: they're not right downtown and for some a water taxi to town is required). Sleep on deck if you have to.

Flights to JFK one-way (American Airlines) have been about $225-250 in the past and if you're coming from VT then you can even book the whole thing on Jet Blue as I think they fly to Bermuda. If you have the time try to do a delivery home with a boat and save on airfare.

Long after the bill it totaled and paid you will have memories that stay with you forever.

TimClark

Super Anarchist
NYC
Last race I budgeted 400 dollars between the week leading up to the event and then Wednesday-Sunday in Bermuda. I ended up having to fly home due to some family issues, so that set me back 250 dollars. I slept on the boat so I saved a bunch of money there, owner took us out for dinner a few nights, the rest of the time I just ate at local spots or on the boat and was able to save a bunch of money that way (the bar that the prison guards hang out is a good spot for the cheap). Out of the 400 dollars I had...170 went to the scooter rental, 100 went to buying stuff in Newport before the race, and the rest went to mainly booze, some food. 650 dollars should do you for the entire thing.

TC

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
A few things that jump out from the NOR -

• The OSR change that allows Dyneema life lines is over ruled by the NOR that require uncovered stainless.
  • The NOR over rules the OSR requirements for AIS. Transceivers are not required this year.
  • There is a First Aid /CPR course requirement starting this year

Those were the significant changes that jumped out for me in my first read.

Latest posts