Bermuda return crew

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Restive is signing up for the Npt-Bda Race, starting June 17th, 2022.

The race crew is filled with longtime shipmates, but I try to give 1-2 of the return berths to nice people who would like some offshore experience.

The returns are usually relaxed and fun, reaching conditions, trimming for comfort. 

My boats are poorly prepared deathtraps. If you are unfamiliar, there are photos sprinkled through this forum. My skipper resume is available but it reflects my callous indifference to human suffering and safety.

Especially if you know someone younger who would like some experience, this is a good opportunity. In the past several people from here have had their first offshore rides as Bermuda returns on my boats.

Three caveats. I am not inclined to make extreme accomodations for highly specialized diets, we don't discuss partisan politics on my boats,  if you think that me being in then oil and gas business makes me evil, you should probably keep that opinion to yourself. 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
That didn't take long - CL and I agree on 2 things - Taos is awesome and sailing should be fun - the return I did a few years back is one of my all time favorite trips.   OK, 3 things - should be able to discuss anything, just not while on a boat.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Does that mean it's OK to discuss politics if everyone is a Republican?
I've never, to my knowledge, had a crew all of one political party. 

I know for a fact that this race crew has the only diversities that count - of talent and of thought. 

Put it this way, the smartest lefty commie rat progressive who ever posted at PA was a guy called MoeAlfa. I believe this will be his 6th race with me. 

He and I can discuss things rationally, because we each know the other will never throw in a verbal hand grenade or speak in bad faith. This is because we each respect the other as a rational, intelligent person with well thought positions and speaking in good faith with no intention to inflame or insult. We both seek better understanding of the thought processes of those with whom we disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:

accnick

Super Anarchist
I've never, to my knowledge, had a crew all of one political party. 

I know for a fact that this race crew has the only diversities that count - of talent and of thought. 

Put it this way, the smartest lefty commie rat progressive who ever posted at PA was a guy called MoeAlfa. I believe this will be his 6th race with me. 

He and I can discuss things rationally, because we each know the other will never throw in a verbal hand grenade or speak in bad faith. This is because we each respect the other as a rational, intelligent person with well thought positions and speaking in good faith with no intention to inflame or insult. We both seek better understanding of the thought processes of those with whom we disagree.
In other words, don't talk politics with your racing crew. It distracts from the important and primary goal of making the boat go fast.

Some of my best friends have been right wing neo-facist nut jobs. Others have been left wing commie nut jobs. We respect each other enough not to talk about politics when we are sailing together.

Sailing, and particularly racing, is what unites us. All else is irrelevant when we are on the boat. Instead, we focus on winning the race.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
I wouldn't ride with him.  He can't keep a working shitter.  ;)
Everyone from that race who is still with us (RIP Larry) is doing this one. 

In other words, don't talk politics with your racing crew. It distracts from the important and primary goal of making the boat go fast.

Some of my best friends have been right wing neo-facist nut jobs. Others have been left wing commie nut jobs. We respect each other enough not to talk about politics when we are sailing together.

Sailing, and particularly racing, is what unites us. All else is irrelevant when we are on the boat. Instead, we focus on winning the race.
Amen, brother! 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Fuck you, Ish. Larry had a man card that would've broken your pussy back. Mock his memory AFTER you've done a nightime, bad weather carrier landing with an F14.

Congratulations on earning the first FU I've issued in probably 10 years. 

Mock anything else. Not Larry. 
I think you missed Ish's subtle humour.

IOW, it's not going to go well to have an urn of ashes steering the boat at the start....

Pretty sure no disrespect was intended.

FKT

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
My boats are poorly prepared deathtraps.
cockwood-wreck-for-website.jpg Don't be taken in by CL's impish self-deprecation.   There is nothing wrong with his boat that a bit of a scrub won't put right ... and as you can see, his people are already on the case. ;)  

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I made the comment because Larry heard a great sense of humor. Well, and because he left me the list of final instructions. 

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
I made the comment because Larry heard a great sense of humor. Well, and because he left me the list of final instructions. 
I'm glad Larry had a sense of humour because CL sure doesn't.

And CL, fuck you back.