Best 2-up beercan racer

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Royal Windermere yacht club was founded in 1860, and has been holding regattas ever since,  although there will probably been breaks for WW1 and WW2...
Hey, thanks - can you send some info on the history of their regatta(s)? 

If it is legit, I will totally call it to the attention of the (Great Lakes) Inter-Lake Yacht Assoc. 

The Q

Super Anarchist
I know of the club, But am not local to it, So don't have the full history..

This is their website..https://www.royal-windermere.co.uk/ 

With quick bit of research other fresh water clubs here in the UK and Ireland that have sailing...

The Thames sailing club was founded in 1870..  https://www.thamessailingclub.co.uk/page/AboutTSC

Loch Ree Sailing club founded 1770 https://www.lryc.ie/ 

There are probably More.. My clubs only a youngster with it's orginal creation being 1910 although our regatta dates from 1903, but there are pictures of racing at that spot, since 1897

Since the definition of regatta is "a sporting event consisting of a series of boat or yacht races."  that would cover any sailing club that has races

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
A lot of good suggestions.  You want a monohull so I won't mention F24s or F27s, but they will fold and fit into your slip.  Merit 25 does well as well as Rangers here in SF Bay with folks that have excellent skills.  An Antrim 24 would be awesome if you could find one.  

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
Etchells, Soling, Diamond.  Elliot 7 and 7x0's (the origionals).  Depending on deck layouts and design style, many of the old quarter tonners. 

The test is, can you stand with the tiller between your legs and get the jib on or trim the kite. 
+1  = whilst holding a beer, of course.

For 2-handed beer-canning, I'd discard anything that needs legs over the side.

The good thing about etchells, solings etc, is that you stand *inside* them (not on them).. so sailing just involves finding somewhere on the cockpit coaming, and older un-competitive boats go for mooring-minder money.

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
Hotfoot 20 might be better for Hawaii conditions - basically the same boat but non-turboed.

Hotfoot 27 - only because there is or was one in Hawaii (Squad Car). Did an early 80's double handed Pac Cup (which was dual purpose as it also served as the delivery to the owner in Hawaii).  Allegedly had a 3 min LORAN average of 23 kts coming down some big waves into Hawaii.

Early 80's lightweight frac. Decent HF 27 can be had for under $7k.  Good double hander, but not so much for singlehanding.
Now there's a memory - did quite a few races in that Hotfoot 27.....not sure but think it might've belonged to Les Vasconcellos at one time....I do know that we had some fun sailing her around the islands...Molokai, Maui, Lanai...surfing her hard with a suitable sound track, a cool drink and some gorgeous company....ahh good times!

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
Etchells, Soling, Diamond.  Elliot 7 and 7x0's (the origionals).  Depending on deck layouts and design style, many of the old quarter tonners. 

The test is, can you stand with the tiller between your legs and get the jib on or trim the kite.   The next is are all the rig controls within reach.  

IMHO find a boat that is fun to sail without being too twitchy, and has room to relocate controls or designed like a big dinghy to start with.   Too me, that's a relatively lightweight frac rig boat that's easily driven.
I usually sail my Elliott 7 1 or 2 up, fits the bill nicely, until the breeze is over about 10 knots where she suffers to windward without weight on the rail. Other than that, she's fantastic, everything is light and within reach, and goes on a trailer easily. 

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Now there's a memory - did quite a few races in that Hotfoot 27.....not sure but think it might've belonged to Les Vasconcellos at one time....I do know that we had some fun sailing her around the islands...Molokai, Maui, Lanai...surfing her hard with a suitable sound track, a cool drink and some gorgeous company....ahh good times!
I found a video of Squad Car recently.  Looks like a young person(s) owns her now.  Still in Hawaii.  Topsides were white, but I was told long ago that she originally sported similar colours and graphics as Police Car (Dubois), the famed Aussie AC boat.  Do you know if that was the case?

Moore Play

Hawaii
If the Unwashed is still out there...My good friend's Express 27 has been on Craig's List for about a month for 16K. My buddy lost a quiet and valient battle against a rare form of a disease we all fear, and cast off his lines and set sail for unknown shores. Her deck looked abit worn the last time I saw her as the paint and non-skid were wearing and her working sails aren't as crispy as when I last crewed aboard her, but I can guarentee she is a sweet ride, worth every penny. Boats like this are hard to find in the Islands and to be honest I'm surprised it did not sell immediately if not sooner. If I could I would buy her, but I can't be a two boat owner. This is hard for me to post as the owner, even though being younger than me was someone I learned alot from, and not just sailing. He was a man of grace, humility, humor and a true friend. It really is a great boat for the conditions here. I'll be glad to fill you in on what I know about her history if you're interested.

BTW Les never owned Squad Car, he had the J35  "Urban Renewal". Squad Car used to do the Friday nights regularly along with a bunch of point to point races in the mid 90's - early 00's I think, and yeah, gotta give the guy credit for having great boat ornaments!!!  The guy passed away and the boat changed hands a number of times from what I heard. Her topsides and rig were pretty ragged the last time I saw her about 10 years ago,  but nothing some TLC  and $ would not cure. The boat looked great on the hard and had an interesting well for the outboard kind of like an offset version of what the FT10 came up with years later.

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Amati already mentioned the 110 fleet that was once in Hawaii.  That would be( and actually is) my choice for a two up beercan... or more racer.   I do class racing, but when we’re doing PHRF or CRF, we have turboed the rig with a square top, masthead Asail, sometimes a blade jib.  The class symmetric spinnaker is actually a weapon against bigger heavier boats DDW.    Fantastic boat designed to be raced 2 up. 

J-22 or Santana 20.  Both can be easily sailed with 2 up and both can be purchased fairly reasonable.  Sails and costs to maintain are less because they are less.  In light air, the Santana can be a killer.  In heavy air the J22 can be a blast.  

One boat not mentioned is the Wavelength 24.  Heard (though not experienced) that they have problems sailing to thier rating, but nice looking boats.  S2 7.9 also fits the bill but while racing it, I prefer at least 3.  At my age manning the tiller and the main on ours, just isn’t that easy anymore. 

After all my ramblings, If I was looking for another daysailor, I would look hard at a J27. 
Love the Santana 20 and also the 23 D, wither is a solid quick, fun boat

Bruno

Super Anarchist
The Colgate (I think) and the Tartan 10 do pretty well locally. DH favors boats with higher righting moment, HH WL stars, both like a low PHRF. If you want the wins. Colgate is a Jim Taylor design so probably underated. A Sonar would also probably do well, if you can find one. T10 is >27'.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
J-27 is a great choice, J/80, because of the sprit and asym an even better choice.  Plus it's got a bulbed keel, so weight is lower...

DRDNA

Anarchist
Ventucky
How about a Cal 20?  I'm sure there are still some over in Kaneohe.  They really are fun in breeze, and won't get ruined being wet sailed.  My friends and I sailed one ever time it blew over 20 for one winter- they're also pretty cheap!

Moore Play

Hawaii
I really respect what the ed has provided with this space for so many, and I also understand the purpose of "Buy an ad!!!!", but this is not for me.  My good buddy passed away and the selling of his Express 27 has surprisingly not happened. It is here in the Islands, not pristine, but well cared for, and everything is sound. Recent mooring increases in the state harbors probably matched by the private clubs, are killing off what is already a weak market for selling anything nautical here. I hope it doesn't leave the Islands because she matches our conditions soooo  well and there are so few of that type of boats here...... Fun Ones!!!!  I don't want to sabatage the broker, (that discussion is somewhere else on these pages). But it has been almost half a year with no serious offers! I had heard it was sold about a month after it went up for sale but, I heard wrong. She is still for sale. I don't want to get involved in the actual "sale" of the boat, it's too personal, but I'll provide what general information I know, or can find out, if you're a sailor who is genuinely interested. I would like to see a win - win a sweet boat finds a home, is enjoyed by a sailor,  but most importantly do what I can for a friend.