Best 22 foot racing sailboat?

b green

j-22, Santana 22, Ranger 22,Capri 22, can be no longer than 22.00 feet for slip. Other make? light air venue, with turbo (aso) in mind, single of double hand. Thanks

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Best ??ft is one that a) has one-design racing in your area; b) is well set-up on deck and cockpit.

Everything else is secondary.

If your local one-design fleet is a fugly 4ksb from sixty years ago, you will still have more fun racing in that fleet than mixing it up in some mixed fleet with a semi-arbitrary handicap.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I echo: whatever is raced in your area.

I like J/70 a lot but it is too long at 22.74-feet.

J/22 pretty good too but it is 22.5-feet.

J/22 ($6k - $11k used) is a lot cheaper than J/70 ($30k - $40k+ used).

The J/70 has a more ergonomic cockpit. I am very much in favor of ergonomic cockpits!

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Ultimate 20, the VX One (self tacking jib!) and the Sescape 18.
Love the U20, but if kelp is an issue, leave this one off the list. We have a kind of freshwater kelp (Milfoil) on Lake Minnetonka, anf the shit simply STOPS the boat. I've taking to jumping in, and while holding on at the shroud base, putting my feet on the keel and pushing it down and off. Apparently there was a kelp cutter/pusher in the original design, but it didn't make it to production. Sad.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
One is for sale on Craigslist, Maine. Crazy cool 70’s boat. 21 1/2’

Rates 207 according to my boat guru

291588F1-412C-4721-9253-3F4511023AF1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Love the U20, but if kelp is an issue, leave this one off the list. We have a kind of freshwater kelp (Milfoil) on Lake Minnetonka, anf the shit simply STOPS the boat. I've taking to jumping in, and while holding on at the shroud base, putting my feet on the keel and pushing it down and off. Apparently there was a kelp cutter/pusher in the original design, but it didn't make it to production. Sad.
VX One has a kelp cutter per the specs.

Latest posts