Canada
Budget: $25,000

Goal: Short (Single or Double Handed) Long Distant Racing

Sail Area: Lake Ontario

Boat Length: 26’-32’

Got any recommendations ?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
There are several 9.1s for sale in your area, I like them as it's a good compromise for racing/cruising especially short handed.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I too would endorse the 9.1.  Had one for 5 years.  Makes you look like a better sailor than you are (at least me  :rolleyes: ).  Raced several series on it shorthanded, intending to go JAM, but not enough boats, so raced in the Spin (B) class.  Won one, or placed on the podium the other time against fully crewed boats....its a sweetheart of a boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
Budget: $25,000

Goal: Short (Single or Double Handed) Long Distant Racing

Sail Area: Lake Ontario

Boat Length: 26’-32’

Got any recommendations ?
Here we go again, eh Snatch?  Based on your previous quests, have you thought about FLAK?  https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/andrews-30-custom-morc/

A few questions:

Is that US$ or CAN$?

What speed potential do you want?

Does it need to be on a trailer?  If yes, how would you be launching/hauling?

Cheers!

Snatch Block

Canada
The search never ends...

Yes: Trailerable is a must

$: $25,000 Cdn

PHRF: Decent & Fair PHRF rating to compensate for my shitty sailing skills.

Shortlist: J-80, Carrera 290, Olson 30, J-27 or J29. If I had another $10,000 in my budget J92.

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
now why would you buy a boat where there's nowhere to catch a nap in the cockpit?  
Au contraire mon ami, if the bathtub cockpit in FLAK is anything like the other A30s I've sailed on it is perfect for safe and secure napping. 

IMG_4914.jpg

Way more comfie than the Evelyn 32-2 we once borrowed for a 300 mile doublehanded race where the cockpie was still the best bet for naps.

Cheers!

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
The search never ends...

Yes: Trailerable is a must

$: $25,000 Cdn

PHRF: Decent & Fair PHRF rating to compensate for my shitty sailing skills.

Shortlist: J-80, Carrera 290, Olson 30, J-27 or J29. If I had another $10,000 in my budget J92.
Of that list I'd choose O30 or J/27 as best compromises for shorthanded.  I'd add the Hobie 33 but I know it's not your favourite (although the O30 is not that dissimilar).  Toss in a few more boat bucks and the J/92'd be a great choice.

Cheers!

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
A few others to think about. Olson 911S or SE, Capo 30, Santana 3030 and other similar MORC boats. Most are set up for crewed racing and do like some weight on the rail, but pretty much everything is led to the cockpit and can be gotten to with a tiller extension. 

We've been doublehanding our Olson 911SE so far this year and it's been a lot of fun. 

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
A few others to think about. Olson 911S or SE, Capo 30, Santana 3030 and other similar MORC boats. Most are set up for crewed racing and do like some weight on the rail, but pretty much everything is led to the cockpit and can be gotten to with a tiller extension. 

We've been doublehanding our Olson 911SE so far this year and it's been a lot of fun. 
Yes, any mid 80s and on MORC 30 design could be a suitable shorthanded platform.  In general they are pretty wholesome designs, PHRFs're 130 or better, and without many vices.  Sure weight on the rail helps but their sailing characteristics are still pretty good for shorthanding.

Most are steered by tiller, budget for the very best autohelm you can afford + a backup...

Cheers!

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
nope, i disagree, not a dry spot to nap ...
OK sure, but the cockpit's not the right place to be napping anyways when racing single/short.  Polyphasic sleeping works best when the nap location is a proper sea berth below that's comfortable, secure, and easily accessible.

Serious setups include a Watch Commander or similar to stay in cycle.

http://www.sailsafely.com/watchcommander.htm

Nothing wakes you up better than the secondary siren on this puppy!  Unfortunately, it's no longer in production, but there are alternatives that offer similar functionality.

Cheers!

PhotoGuide.jpg