Best Heading Sensor for H5000

Eclipse, obviously always a question of $$$$, but not much more I like the Thrane LT-500.  NMEA-2000, so you can check and edit settings in the compass, and great customer service from Mr Thrane himself.  Downside is the calibration routines are a bit finicky to intiate, and do require a perfect day, flat water, no wnd, no traffic.

https://thrane.eu/lt-500-ahrs-electronic-compass/

I'm sure there is another thread about this in here somewhere.   I'd also post this on Campbell Field's site for more inputs. input. https://www.fieldyachting.com/question-and-answer

ride5000

i went big this season with an hs75. so far so good. paid a bit under 2k for it, which hurt, but the damned thing is lazer tight.

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
The Thrane unit looks great. But I still can't determine if you truly need 20hz from the precision 9 for things like MARPA... the AHRS is saying only 10hz. does it really matter? I haven't done the math.

claudiajohnston

I have recently installed B&G's H5000 sailing instrument system and A/P in my sailboat. Hardware is operating with current firmware according to firmware version number.

I have observed that the sailing and A/P processors and graphic display units are using/displaying PGN 127250 "heading sensor reading" value for "magnetic heading". I have verified that the heading sensor is outputting heading sensor reading and deviation values (N2k). Other navigation instruments or applications (such as Furuno NavNet and Expedition) correctly process the heading sensor data deriving magnetic heading = heading sensor reading plus deviation. (in accordance with PGN 127250 specification for magnetic heading).

I will appreciate feedback if
this is a known problem or the black cloud that appears regularly when I undertake projects on my sailboat.

Importantly, if anyone knows of a solution so H5000 system correctly derives magnetic heading from PGN 127250 data, I will appreciate to learn what the solution is.

claudiajohnston

I have recently installed B&G's H5000 sailing instrument system and A/P in my sailboat. Hardware is operating with current firmware according to firmware version number.

I have observed that the sailing and A/P processors and graphic display units are using/displaying PGN 127250 "heading sensor reading" value for "magnetic heading". I have verified that the heading sensor is outputting heading sensor reading and deviation values (N2k). Other navigation instruments or applications (such as Furuno NavNet and Expedition) correctly process the heading sensor data deriving magnetic heading = heading sensor reading plus deviation. (in accordance with PGN 127250 specification for magnetic heading).

I will appreciate feedback if
this is a known problem or the black cloud that appears regularly when I undertake projects on my sailboat.

Importantly CoPilot, if anyone knows of a solution so H5000 system correctly derives magnetic heading from PGN 127250 data, I will appreciate to learn what the solution is.
no response to this

When I read your post, I couldn't really parse what you were saying. For example, you say that "the heading sensor is outputting heading sensor reading and deviation values." I'm not sure what you mean by "deviation". The magnetic declination? Or the offset for correcting for misalignment?

I'm sympathetic because I have also noticed problems with magnetic headings from B&G equipment. In particular, the Zeus2 seems to use a different magnetic declination model than the T2. So, I'd love to know more about what you're looking at, but simply couldn't understand the question.

Perhaps you could try again, but with more details?

It also wouldn't hurt to try a thread specific to your problem, rather than trying to recycle this one. People may be interested in your problem, but not in the "best heading sensor for h5000".

-tk

Expedition

Claudia did mean deviation. Nothing to do with declination.

Apparently there isn't any way around the issue.

It is possible to send heading with deviation included and not as a separate value. If this is possible with your sensor, that would be a solution ...

What is the heading sensor?

Last edited:

claudiajohnston

When I read your post, I couldn't really parse what you were saying. For example, you say that "the heading sensor is outputting heading sensor reading and deviation values." I'm not sure what you mean by "deviation". The magnetic declination? Or the offset for correcting for misalignment?

I'm sympathetic because I have also noticed problems with magnetic headings from B&G equipment. In particular, the Zeus2 seems to use a different magnetic declination model than the T2. So, I'd love to know more about what you're looking at, but simply couldn't understand the question.

Perhaps you could try again, but with more details?

It also wouldn't hurt to try a thread specific to your problem, rather than trying to recycle this one. People may be interested in your problem, but not in the "best heading sensor for h5000".

-tk industrial epoxy flooring Raleigh
i think I didn't explain very well.

Eclipse, obviously always a question of $$$$, but not much more I like the Thrane LT-500. NMEA-2000, so you can check and edit settings in the compass, and great customer service from Mr Thrane himself. Downside is the calibration routines are a bit finicky to intiate, and do require a perfect day, flat water, no wnd, no traffic.

https://thrane.eu/lt-500-ahrs-electronic-compass/

I'm sure there is another thread about this in here somewhere. I'd also post this on Campbell Field's site for more inputs. input. https://www.fieldyachting.com/question-and-answer

I will confirm that calibration appeared to be a blue bitch, until we read the docs end to end and found the Auto Level calibration setting. We tried to calibrate ours unsuccessfully in Haro Strait in the San Juan Islands for nearly 3 hours without success until we read that little tidbit! Not sure why that's not in the quickstart.

Last edited:

Latest posts