best small cruiser

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Didn't we have a thread?
Yes

Does that mean we can't have another one?

There are so many different interpretations of "small" ,,, cartop? trailerable? bigger than a breadbox?

... and so many different interpretations of "best" ... ride out a Cape Horn gale? Comfy for two? Pace a J-24?

... that it would be more meaningful to say 'What is your favorite small cruiser?' and 'Explain why she's your favorite.'

Mine: DULCIBELLA from 'Riddle of the Sands'

FB- Doug

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
As Steam Flyer pointed out "small cruiser" can mean different things to different people. To me, it suggests a vessel about 26' LOA. Below that, lack of headroom and storage mean more of camping lifestyle.

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
As Steam Flyer pointed out "small cruiser" can mean different things to different people. To me, it suggests a vessel about 26' LOA. Below that, lack of headroom and storage mean more of camping lifestyle.
...although I'd generally agree with that, the Westerly Cirrus is surpring at 22ft, to have good headroom and accom below, plus a Volvo diesel inboard. Some owners have removed the inboard in favor of an outboard which removes some of the sturdy, "go anywhere confidently" character of the boat. Despite its dated appearance, It's a good little boat and sails very well in its original inboard config, despite it being slightly tubby, a feature that makes it very accomodating for coastal cruising.

westerly_cirrus_photo.jpg

http://www.mostsailb...terly-cirrus-2/

Specs

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
Is the boat in your post the same as the one in the link?
No... sorry...just noticed that. The pic with the chute is a Giles designed Westerly. It looks like the boat data site has linked to the wrong pic. The cirrus, looks very similar but it doesn't have a chine as the spec website shows.

They have posted a pic of the Westerly 21ft Pageant twin bilge keeler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dog

Super Anarchist
In the end we opted for the Seaward 25. Fit the bill for us.

Trailerable, Standing head room, 2'-1” draft for the shallow creeks (Gentlemen don’t go to windward), Inboard diesel, enclosed head, Galley with 2 burner, H and C water, all in 25’.

photo sharing sites

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Is the boat in your post the same as the one in the link?
No... sorry...just noticed that. The pic with the chute is a Giles designed Westerly. It looks like the boat data site has linked to the wrong pic. The cirrus, looks very similar but it doesn't have a chine as the spec website shows.

They have posted a pic of the Westerly 21ft Pageant twin bilge keeler.
I knew about beauty pageants and now know about ugly ones. The thread for such boats is down the hall. ;)

armac

My dad had a Tartan 26, slow, but a great little ship. Standing headroom, inboard, kind of a galley, a real head, and four decent berths. It's draft was about 5'. Typical crappy 70's build but willing. We sailed it in everything and it lumbered through.

Interestingly, as I've graduated to bigger, faster. and "better" boats, I've always compared their comfort and cruiseability to the humble old T26.

Latest posts