Best Yacht Club web sites

More Cowbell2

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
www.gbyc.ca/WebCam/index.shtml
www.gbyc.com Take a look at web cam

and they update regularly, which to me is the MOST important thing a club website can do.
Absolutely

I like the Corinthian Y.C. (SF) easy on the eyes and almost everything is only one click away.

I also like the confidence shown by not having a big "Who We Are" blurb on the front page.
So where'e the polar bear?

Roy Race

UK
Check out Ning.com. You can create your own social network website for free. It is all drag-and-drop, no programming skills required.You can add events, forums, groups, photos, calendar, Blog, member only area, gadgets.

It's free if you allow ads and use their URL (ie youryachtclub.ning.com) For a fee you can use yor own URL and/or loose the ads.

It's great for clubs as anybody can maintain it, no special skills required.

http://www.centerboard.org
This is awesome! That Centerboard YC site makes really good use of Ning's features too. Nice work.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I am totally confused by this thread. The title reads: "Best Yacht Club web sites" and I don't know if I am looking at

1. The Best Yacht Clubs that just so happen to have a web site, or...
  2. The Best Web Site for a Yacht Club.
I assumed it was "b" but after looking at most of them I have to say, WTF??!??1

1997 has come and gone, folks. Most of these examples are pathetic relics. Or they take 40 seconds to download the home page. Or they look like some club member ran amok with Frontpage 1.0.

The only one that looked half-way professional was Newport Harbor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
av-16775.jpg
Whoa! Creepiest avatar 3v4r!!1

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
I am totally confused by this thread. The title reads: "Best Yacht Club web sites" and I don't know if I am looking at
  1. The Best Yacht Clubs that just so happen to have a web site, or...
  2. The Best Web Site for a Yacht Club.
I assumed it was "b" but after looking at most of them I have to say, WTF??!??1

1997 has come and gone, folks. Most of these examples are pathetic relics. Or they take 40 seconds to download the home page. Or they look like some club member ran amok with Frontpage 1.0.

It has to be "B" because we are the best yacht club....that needs a web site. I was about to congratulate SA on another stellar job of shooting down my bro's who don't get what SA has to offer but I'll wait until i can drag my ass through all this morass. Thanks, Sockeye.

Methinks you missed the point. I'm sure the clubs you frequent have resources to hire "professionals" that have the ability to "Wow" the masses. The rest of us are appreciative of clubs that have members who work hard at everyday jobs and then spend their free time trying to promote their small YC using their own personal finances. That is the point of this thread. .....or am I off the mark?

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
jo forthan said:
We're redoing our club site and I need examples of the best small club sites. We're about 150 members that allow only sail boats. post links and tell me all yucan about whats good and who makes the soft ware. Thanks
whats anarchic about yacht club rules
they let two sixmeter sailors be commodore and vice commodore. That is anarchic at least and disastrous at worst.

and Blow me, Noob.

morrisre

Super Anarchist
Methinks you missed the point. I'm sure the clubs you frequent have resources to hire "professionals" that have the ability to "Wow" the masses. The rest of us are appreciative of clubs that have members who work hard at everyday jobs and then spend their free time trying to promote their small YC using their own personal finances. That is the point of this thread. .....or am I off the mark?
And in the end that site has basically the same format as the rest (ignoring the piss takers) as all the others just with slightly (and only slightly) nicer graphics. Pretty irrelevant really. I'll bet the no. 1 most important thing for a club web site is 'are the race results posted by the time every one arrives at work the following morning?'.

GungaDin

And in the end that site has basically the same format as the rest (ignoring the piss takers) as all the others just with slightly (and only slightly) nicer graphics. Pretty irrelevant really. I'll bet the no. 1 most important thing for a club web site is 'are the race results posted by the time every one arrives at work the following morning?'.
Actually, as far as I know there is only one YC that does race results the best as they send results directly from the RC boat to a server and prelimanary results (subject to protests) are posted before the boats even get back to shore. And that club is Storm Trysail who also run Block Island Race Week.

We're redoing our club site and I need examples of the best small club sites. We're about 150 members that allow only sail boats. post links and tell me all yucan about whats good and who makes the soft ware. Thanks
Surprised noone has mentioned Anacortes Yacht Club @ ayc.org. Great site, good photos, clean and simple to navigate.

Jon

I'm in the process of developing a new site for our club and leaning heavily on the work that the folks at NOYC.org have done. After poking around a bit I have come the conclusion that for most clubs (and actually many web sites in general) you can't beat using Wordpress.

- the number and graphic quality of themes that are now available or coming out at no or low cost is amazing. (for instance www.threesheetsnw.com)

- the amount of low cost or no cost plugin extensions are phenomenal, from forums to photo viewers to back end applications like archives and contact forms.

- Wordpress, because of its large user base is where the action is. Wordpress drives sites much larger and with much more complex missions than most club sites.

- Good web sites are about news and always having something new. Wordpress is easy to update from a browser and as a blog engine is made just for that task.

- Wordpress allows you to put together a site easily and quickly.

If you haven't seen what is going on in Wordpress and with themes, you owe it to yourself to look.

PS

If there's someone who can code a plugin and is looking for a project, an easy way to post regatta results from say Regatta Scoring Solutions to a site similar to the way the SDYC handles results would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts