Better sailing performance on a liveaboard cruiser?

DDW

Super Anarchist
In the modern theory of wings, a sloop (to weather) is a single slotted airfoil, a cutter is a double slotted airfoil. Slots are high lift, high drag devices. It may allow you to generate more lift when you don't have enough, but at the cost of drag; drag always increases the most efficient pointing angle. Absent other considerations, you would not see a slot on a boat designed to go to weather - but the other considerations are many.

No way could that have slightly affected my speed... /s
20220926_093927.jpg

20220926_095418.jpg

20220926_105835.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
In the modern theory of wings, a sloop (to weather) is a single slotted airfoil, a cutter is a double slotted airfoil. Slots are high lift, high drag devices. It may allow you to generate more lift when you don't have enough, but at the cost of drag; drag always increases the most efficient pointing angle. Absent other considerations, you would not see a slot on a boat designed to go to weather - but the other considerations are many.
I remember when "triple slotting" was trendy in IOR racing - didn't last long IIRC.

Looked like this but without the prod.

1664225878127.png

How long ago did you clean that bottom?? IIRC you said you put 4-5 hrs into it? Not to be sarcastic, but if that's the normal shape of the underbody, don't worry about anything else yet

:eek: The worst bottom I ever did could be cleaned up after with a shovel - I never needed a front end loader to cart it off.

I agree, it's significantly worse than I imagined! Also, when pressure washing it off, it seems there's at least 6 layers of old paint on there. The original gel coat is off white and there's bright green, red, black, and several layers of blue. I think if I take it back to a bare hull and redo it properly..... yeah, that'll be most of my issues gone.

Any suggestions on a decent ablative would be welcome! The 300$ a gallon CsC micron is spendy as hell but apparently works like a miracle?

I'm still going to clean out all the excess crap, of course, may as well get every bit of performance I can out of her. I have a feeling I'll jump up a knot without issue though.

The growth this summer that I referenced spending 4-5 hours on was significantly worse but I assumed that it was only so thick then because I had spent 3 months in a very sheltered warm inlet without moving (was working a summer job).

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Any suggestions on a decent ablative would be welcome! The 300$ a gallon CsC micron is spendy as hell but apparently works like a miracle?
I used it on Ish's recommendation and I'm into my second year with only slime on it - had a short lift recently for a wash & new zincs - it will be fine until next spring.

I watch Craigslist for Micron and pick it up when available. Last time I got two gallons of ugly red for $100 each because the guys wife wanted blue. It means an ugly colour bottom for several years but it's underwater most of the time and the $450 savings paid for one of the Harken self tailers. :)

I used it on Ish's recommendation and I'm into my second year with only slime on it - had a short lift recently for a wash & new zincs - it will be fine until next spring.

I watch Craigslist for Micron and pick it up when available. Last time I got two gallons of ugly red for $100 each because the guys wife wanted blue. It means an ugly colour bottom for several years but it's underwater most of the time and the $450 savings paid for one of the Harken self tailers. :)
Makes sense! I'll keep an eye out. Even at retail, I think the doubled price over other options still makes sense if it does last a couple years. If I can save a $300 haulout and a lot of unpleasant work by the same amount of money in quality bottom paint.... that makes sense.

DDW

Super Anarchist
I tried Micron CSC, didn't really like it because of the slime. That said, in Canada, not much else is available. I have Hydrocoat on the trawler, the Eco stuff hardly worked at all, even when only in for 3 months and in more or less constant motion. The non-Eco copper bearing Hydrocoat worked better, but about the same slime as the CSC. It is a lot more pleasant to apply than CSC, water based and doesn't stink.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
On the right coast, I've had good luck on my previous boat with Aquaguard. Pleasant to use, washes up with water. My current boat came with a lot of Micron CSC that I'm using up. I plan to go back to Aquaguard.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Definitely check up into the thru hulls, you probably have stuff clogging those up also. They can also use some antifoul paint.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I remember when "triple slotting" was trendy in IOR racing - didn't last long IIRC.

Looked like this but without the prod.

View attachment 543249
True wind is close to 90 degrees. Even the main is eased out
On a smaller boat, you need to be careful not to set too many sails in the gap. If a leading sail is overtrimmed, all sails behind go to crap & just become drag. This is perfect conditions, however, dead flat, good wind angle

Kiwi Clipper

Vaeredil: I am a little confused by your posts. First one says you went from Victoria to Port Townshend, but then others suggest you are from Ontario and may have the boat in fresh water. Where is it?

Vaeredil: I am a little confused by your posts. First one says you went from Victoria to Port Townshend, but then others suggest you are from Ontario and may have the boat in fresh water. Where is it?
Check the dates on the posts! I was in Northwestern Ontario sailing mostly small dinghys on local lakes and the Great Lakes a few years ago, but am now living aboard Freja in BC.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Makes sense! I'll keep an eye out. Even at retail, I think the doubled price over other options still makes sense if it does last a couple years. If I can save a $300 haulout and a lot of unpleasant work by the same amount of money in quality bottom paint.... that makes sense.
What's the old saying?

"Quality is appreciated long after the price is forgotten"?

Something like that.

alctel

Victoria
I had a similar question regarding my boat on this thread

Lots of good stuff in this one, thanks!

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
Check the dates on the posts! I was in Northwestern Ontario sailing mostly small dinghys on local lakes and the Great Lakes a few years ago, but am now living aboard Freja in BC.

You might want to update your profile - every post you make states that you live in Dryden, Ontario.

Latest posts