Black walnut toe rails?

Sea_Squirrel

Appleton, WI
Greetings! I’ve got a project boat (Dolphin 24) that needs all of the toe rail replaced. I also happen to have an abundance of black walnut on hand… I’m wondering if anyone has experience with utilizing black walnut for deck applications, can I varnish this, can I use teak oil, is this a viable option?

Thanks!

4BAA29FE-1F00-4A62-9688-D6A203C49F68.jpeg

E2EA742B-4F99-4203-A4AB-AA51E9F0CF34.jpeg

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Greetings! I’ve got a project boat (Dolphin 24) that needs all of the toe rail replaced. I also happen to have an abundance of black walnut on hand… I’m wondering if anyone has experience with utilizing black walnut for deck applications, can I varnish this, can I use teak oil, is this a viable option?

Thanks!

View attachment 537576

View attachment 537587
Walnut is an excellent boatbuilding wood

it’s defect is that because the trees are short and stout you have a difficult time finding clear long boards

Also consider iroko , mahogany , sepelie …quarter sawn

ask your timber supplier for suggestions

if possible use bronze fasteners …stainless stains the wood if it gets wet

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
A straight trunk of good quality black walnut that would make nice stock for toerails would probably be worth far more as a bole for veneering.

I couldn't tell ya the providence, but Black Walnut is bad luck on a boat.

Locust would be a good choice if you can find. I don't think there's a commercial market, so you need to find a small mill that has some that was "cut and stickered out back" long enough to have air dried.

Iroko is a commodity and is available as deck planks. I haven't worked with it much but I would do some research and destructive testing before using the terms "bend" and "scarf" in the same neighborhood. And wear a dust mask when working with tropical mystery woods.

Last edited:

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
I just did a home deck in Cumaru (Brazilian teak). Aside from being rock hard and very dense, I was able to get 18' clear boards. It seems like it would do well on a boat?

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
synthetic will work

your choice

machining a toe rail is a big job that requires a workshop, bench and floor tools

that synthetic comes in a coil

much time saved

Sea_Squirrel

Appleton, WI
Thanks for all of the advice and ideas folks! I’d really like to keep the wood toe rails if possible, I know they’ll be more work but I think the reward is so worth it! I’ll have to do some pondering on this.. I’ve got all winter 😅

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
In that case, mahogoney. That's what I used for my rub rail, with a stainless steel cap to protect it from steel pilings. It's generally one of the easier to find woods.

Latest posts