blackfin

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I used to be on a website that Beau belonged too at the time he purchased Mayan from Crosby. Interesting story and a worthy new keeper of the flame.

There was a real "You know you've arrived when..." episode in his story when he traded berths with Merlin in SB.

The boat in the southern Cross video is Southern Star.  Also a Tripp design, but slightly larger than Blackfin.  In the 90’s she conducted a circumnavigation of North America completing the Nortwest Passage from east to west.  

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The boat in the southern Cross video is Southern Star.  Also a Tripp design, but slightly larger than Blackfin.  In the 90’s she conducted a circumnavigation of North America completing the Nortwest Passage from east to west.  
That's the third sister I couldn't remember the name of.

IIRC it was completed just as the IOR started which made it noncompetitive so it was never raced.

Last edited by a moderator:

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Nearly gone.  Sad.

Looks like one of the original Barient pedestals is on that piece of inverted deck to the right of the pic.

186513608_10165389291920375_5512111281730828959_n.jpg

Nick G

SF BAY
Never stepped foot on Blackfin but admired her at Big Boat Series at the guest dock and Waikiki after the 1975 TransPac.  I spent many hours looking through Diane Beeston’s book Of Wind Fog & Sail as a young teenager. But I must admit, Passage was always my favorite.

85406770-0C4E-4A30-94C4-56E04AF03A7B.jpeg

C4C6CFF6-5263-41FD-9717-D2D4466F25C6.jpeg

Joe in Atl

Atlanta
280home-page-cover.jpg

This month's cover: Windward Passage circa 1975

Still sailing, several rebuilds later. Now a taller carbon sloop rig.

PB2207

Chicago
Some more shots I took yesterday.

The dude in the pink ski goggles (Fabulous PPE choice btw) doesn't seem thrilled at your presence. Probably thinks you're eyeing that juicy keel lead he just torched open. Thinking about it that's probably what he's getting paid with so I understand his sentiment. 

George Hackett

Super Anarchist
Before I took the pics, I showed the crew the photo up in this thread of the boat they are demolishing.  And they were like wow, so,that is what it looked like?  Plus with a heat index of 50 Celsius, you too would like them. 

I am sure since the boat was abandoned and took up space for many years. It is the yard that sold the boat for scrap. 

sailronin

Seattle, Wa
This was the 2.2oz star cut, made by Hard Sails. Remember their slogan: Sail with a Hard on! Other than the star cut and the radial head runner, all the sails were made by Watts.
Hard sails slogan "Sail with a Hard on" to which Hood replied "If you sail with a hard on you need a Hood".  I wore that t-shirt until it fell apart.

Mulligan

San Pedro
I had mentioned the demise of Blackfin to Dr. Robert Kahn a couple of weeks ago.  The other day, Woods Carr posted a picture of Ondine at the finish of the 1973 Transpac.  So, I ran into Dr. Bob at California Yacht Club today, where he lives aboard his Cookson built Farr 55 “Jano II”, and showed him the picture. He was very happy to recall the memory!  He said “I thinK I was driving when this picture was taken!”  He recalled that he had done the Tahiti race on Blackfin with DeMeuse.  He also mentioned that there was a rumor that the bilge was filled with gold bars for the previous owners escape plan. It doesn’t seem that this has any merit!  Sad to see the end of such a storied yacht.   

001BF74C-3C56-4500-B972-22515BAE9FBD.jpeg

Mt bo

Does anyone know where I might be able to find crew information on the various historical races for Blackfin? My father mentioned stories of races long ago (Maybe 70's) on the boat, but I'm not sure what years they took place. He passed away about 10 years ago. Any help would be much appreciated and his name was Roger Scott Thomas if that helps.