Blades/knives. Whatcha got

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Everyone always talks about guns But  how about knives?

my mother-in-law is a tremendous collector of blades of all shapes sizes years. I have a couple nothing compared to her

she asked me to help photo document them for future reference

Chevy couple days maybe I’ll post a picture of one or two of them

The one thing I can say is they are all original there are no replicas in her collection

here is a M1917 (WW I) US Army issued bayonet. It was designed to be used with the US M1917 Enfield .30 caliber rifle,

This particular bayonet was made in 1914 

213F389B-22F9-45B2-B3C9-D604CA80CC9F.jpeg

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
What a coincidence you started this. Just yesterday I was telling my wife that I've owned this for 50 years, got it back in my cub scout days.

One of my most treasured possessions. No telling how many fish and other critters it's gutted.

RIMG0438-X2.jpg

Windward

Super Anarchist
At the risk of thread drift on post #3 (sorry @dacapo )

I am interested in sharpening my sharpening skills.

I have a few stones, and recently acquired a cutoff of marble for a flat sanding surface.

Been experimenting with oil vs water.  (with cheap Harbor Freight stones)

All planer blades and chisels.

So many techniques and nuances to sharpening.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY

I have a few stones, and recently acquired a cutoff of marble for a flat sanding surface.

My normal knives i.e. my cooking knives chefs knives and fillet knives all go to a professional knife  sharpener 
with that said maybe you can find a professional sharpener near you and ask him if you could get some tips.  

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
I’ll show you a picture in a day or two of a really sharp knife that my mother-in-law has. One of her most expensive blades and one that will not be touched ever by mortal hands. 
I will tell you it’s an 1870 Japanese katana sword. And even now it will split your fucking pubic hairs 

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
I had a nice little Buck rigging knife I bought back in 1977 for a sailing trip up the west coast. The blade was so thick I couldn't figure out how to get a good edge on it, so sent it back to Buck who, for $5 put a good edge on it which lasted pretty much forever.

Had it for many, many years and used it often. Similar to this except I had a square knotted lanyard on mine.

buck315nsbYachtsman__96292.1500565043.jpg

So I'm at the airport in Papeete about 2013 and the guy on the xray scanner starts rooting through my toilet kit as the boarding call for my flight is being announced. Up he comes with my rigging knife and just shakes his head. Too late to mail it home to myself I had to toss it and run for the departure gate.

I hope that guy got some good use out of it.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I'm in the (slow) process of restoring a Ca. 1940s Kukhuri and scabbard. The blade isn't so difficult, but fitting and sewing the 1mm thick lamb skin over the wooden scabbard is testing my patience, and skills.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
for years I carried around a couple decent rigging knives when I went sailing. TSA now owns too many of them. Got tired of buying them xmas presents and started buying the tiny little swiss army knife. outa the box you can shave with the blade. I have a couple dozen of these little mother fuckers cuz I keep losing them and buying two to replace the one I lost. once a week or so I sit down with a stone and polish the edge until it will scrape hairs off my arm without pulling on them first. ive yet to meet a line I couldn't cut, and the nail file fits most Philips head screws. it even has a micro pair of scissors.... I do still have a couple of those glow in the dark rigging knives with a fid from West Marine.. and If I 'm doing an offshore race or something I'll usually toss one in my bag, but I can't remember the last time I've used one on a boat. 

I have a similar approach to flashlights. having lost a number of really nice petzl headlights. I now pickup a couple of the cheapest LED miniflashlights I can find. I hate headlamps.. particularly on other people. at night someone with invariably toast my retinas, even with the red light. I can hold my little flashlight cupped in my hand on not bother anyone. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
Opinel N.07. Incredibly useful, I never go out in the mountains without it. V. cheap in the Alps as well. Highly recommend. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Beene Opinel fan foire longue time, stille use my firste oune.  I give the smallere ounes as presentes, peopel love getting them.

:)

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse

Wantne to halve fun?  Glass platte, rubbere cemente, and emorey papere as asharppeneng surfice.  Workes greate!            :)

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Rather pedestrian:  

An ooold Buck 110 I bought when I worked with the tools. I abused the crap out it, even using it and a hammer to cut 1/0 copper in an emergency.   Charlotte saw it in my drawer, heard the stories, and later swiped it and took it to a German knife sharpener. He put such a perfect edge on it, I don’t dare misuse it.

My EDC is a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek with the serrated edge.  

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh