Blades/knives. Whatcha got

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
First choice in my bag for cut, slash, stab.

Opinel are the #4# champs.   

0191FA41-2C7A-4890-BFE1-CBFA457EAB98.jpeg

mikewof

mikewof
Had to check a bag last week cause as I finished the half mile walk to the terminal I found my blue marine model locking Swiss Army knife in my pocket.

View attachment 504131
The blue Swiss knives are so cool. When you see someone else with a blue one instead of the red ones, you kinda both know, it's like a secret club. "Yeah, you got the blue one? I got the blue one too."

mikewof

mikewof
Not my favorite blade, but I thought it would make a good photo in this SA thread ...

20220411_195842.jpg

An old WWII Japanese sword that my uncle brought back from the Pacific. For better or worse, I actually sharpened it and used it extensively to cut through brush behind his old house in Brookfield, Connecticut back in the 1990s. Not the best tool for the job, but it did well.

The Spyderco factory is down the street from me, they have a annual "blem" sale that I always seem to miss. This year though, I hope not to miss it. Terrific company, good ownership, quality steelwork.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
random. said:
Cool knives, but 20 years ago I would have thought they were appropriate gifts to clients.  We gave ours some quality multitools once, they had a fold out knife and the women were horrified, circa 1999.
Have no women clients. Not a lot of female CEO/CFOs out there in smallcap land. 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I met a custom knife maker, David Boye at a boat show. He sort of accidentally messed up a batch of SS alloy by adding too much cobalt which crystalized and created 'dendritic steel'. He would send samples of each batch to some university metallurgy lab and they looked at his failed batch under a electron microscope and told him his goof had made a stainless steel that would hold an edge better than anything they had ever seen. The rest is history but his knives are legendary! He gave me one of his basic sailing knives with a marlinspike but it got thiefed on a boat delivery! Here is one of his customs that I should just 'bite the bullet' and buy for myself. 

cbltwhalemarlinserrblue_1024x1024.jpg

I did a couple of knife 3d models in Rhino3D for him which really fascinated him and he invited me to his 'knife commune' out in the Arizona desert but I sadly never took him up on his internship. 

Read the story about his unique alloys and knives.

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/history

step_by_step_2019_for_ebook_480x480.jpg

USA 007

Anarchist
Lake Lanier, GA
I met a custom knife maker, David Boye at a boat show. He sort of accidentally messed up a batch of SS alloy by adding too much cobalt which crystalized and created 'dendritic steel'. He would send samples of each batch to some university metallurgy lab and they looked at his failed batch under a electron microscope and told him his goof had made a stainless steel that would hold an edge better than anything they had ever seen. The rest is history but his knives are legendary! He gave me one of his basic sailing knives with a marlinspike but it got thiefed on a boat delivery! Here is one of his customs that I should just 'bite the bullet' and buy for myself. 

I did a couple of knife 3d models in Rhino3D for him which really fascinated him and he invited me to his 'knife commune' out in the Arizona desert but I sadly never took him up on his internship. 

Read the story about his unique alloys and knives.

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/history

Thanks Rasp, you just cost me $199...

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Sheepsfoot Folder with Marlinspike "2nd" - Denim Blue
Yeah, nice knife! That is the one that David Boye gave to me after a late night taking design dictation from him while I modeled a big K-Bar sort of knife on my laptop running Rhino3D. He was really impressed how well the software could create a 3d model of the knife blank which could then be 3d printed or even milled in wax which could then be used for lost wax investment casting. The resolution with which fine details such as bevels or blood grooves would be far beyond his traditional technique and the 'near net' wax milled blanks would greatly reduce the time and effort spent grinding and polishing. 

You could have dropped $1000 on this beauty!

Dolphin3inch_1024x1024.jpeg

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I KNEW this thread would cost me MONEY!

Sg6yBneMiB1NRM2gzVI6kZ9PYXLYVWfOaumXLwiMl1S_WZNuJsu_GerfntobNWs7E8nIAoeDA6zhue1sPQaxPh_30sJ7vpX-u8g-EaqKovZVkBIWCQGMmfdx49FZE95ojRrZKUw7K3dJnJcrxaMKhGXPsv2fZWy1ZWaJW1hP13JcR5sqFEDZW0r2baR7-q_cC-MCdtjtfq0=s0-d-e1-ft

Kershaw Automatic Launch 6.  Great steel, great ergos, thin, strong, with excellent reviews.  On sale for $115.  My first Automatic and "Dark Places" knife.  

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Culloden drop rig.   Cold Steel from Japan.   Crazy sharp edge.   

Nearly busted myself up bigtime on the Mtb wearing slung around neck hanging down in center of chest.  Crashed and fell on knife and hard shell scabbard.   Hurt like hell & almost blew thru my ribs.

Not wearing drop knives anymore.

6B0D0AF0-1D77-473E-A84F-63C6EC657100.jpeg