Super Anarchist
Vancouver
That is a fork and spoon^^^

sporkmain.0.0.jpg

This is a spork. 

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
I stand by my victorianox for everyday in the pocket use. I use the toothpick and screwdrivers often. I use the fid and the pliers here and there. It saved the company annual party as I had the the only wine opener in the entire facility. True story. Two weeks ago. I have carried one like it for 45 years. It stuns people to just whip it out and handle something. Cut a sandwich in half on a hike. I fixed my wife’s glasses with a tweezer tong sitting in an Adirondack chair at lunch at homewood ski resort two months ago. The single blade knives are not useful unless you carry a leatherman with it.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I stand by my victorianox for everyday in the pocket use. I use the toothpick and screwdrivers often. I use the fid and the pliers here and there. It saved the company annual party as I had the the only wine opener in the entire facility. True story. Two weeks ago. I have carried one like it for 45 years. It stuns people to just whip it out and handle something. Cut a sandwich in half on a hike. I fixed my wife’s glasses with a tweezer tong sitting in an Adirondack chair at lunch at homewood ski resort two months ago. The single blade knives are not useful unless you carry a leatherman with it.
Well reasoned, Chris.

Going to have to disagree <a wee bit> about the usefulness of single blade, one-hand opening knives. They can be essential; like the time our foredeckie stepped into a spin sheet blight just as the damn thing caught wind and flew her into the lifelines.

I often supplement my Leek with a Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool Pocket Knife.   
71SypXQTS4L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000687B44?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Rumor has it that these are the favorites of the Wasn't Me-Wern't There-Never Happened crowd. I like it for the Swiss Army emblem that pacifies the Karens and Darrens who see it. 

I do have multitools that live in my backpack, glove box, office desk, man-cave, junk drawer, etc... I try to keep the EDC clutter to a minimum lest I have to go to a The Batman style Bat-Belt.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Here you go. One of my little guys. Inexpensive, sharpens well but doesn’t hold an edge at all. But folded it’s no bigger than a car key, hardly notice it in my pocket and I’ve cut this or that 100 times over the years. Got it free as some company’s giveaway promo swag. I like the little fella. 

FD2DE9D6-A965-43EA-A7E9-71B241659BB4.jpeg

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Well reasoned, Chris.

Going to have to disagree <a wee bit> about the usefulness of single blade, one-hand opening knives. They can be essential; like the time our foredeckie stepped into a spin sheet blight just as the damn thing caught wind and flew her into the lifelines.

I often supplement my Leek with a Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool Pocket Knife.    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000687B44?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Rumor has it that these are the favorites of the Wasn't Me-Wern't There-Never Happened crowd. I like it for the Swiss Army emblem that pacifies the Karens and Darrens who see it. 

I do have multitools that live in my backpack, glove box, office desk, man-cave, junk drawer, etc... I try to keep the EDC clutter to a minimum lest I have to go to a The Batman style Bat-Belt.  
My last sentence was incorrect. “Not as useful” would have been better. Btw out of the box the locking main blade of my skipper model would cut any running rigging on any sailboat most are likely to be on. Easily. The blade on your knife above is slightly larger than the skipper model blade and I really like the form factor of your model. Thinner but longer and it fits my hand better. You can also open it one handed. Knives are like tennis racquets and golf clubs. If they have the basic things required, the skill of the operator trumps the actual equipment when the going gets serious.

mikewof

mikewof
I have a handful of old ones I’ve acquired over the years, but none as pretty as our client gifts last year. Partners got carbone, clients Inox
I'm curious about this ... why?

Was the concern that the clients might think poorly of the firm when the carbon blades rusted? Did the partners need an easier blade to sharpen? The Opinels aren't particularly beefy knives anyway, even in carbon they're too lightweight to use for striking and banging, why not just go for the stainless for everyone? Is there something about the partners that they are into regular maintenance of carbon steel? And there has to be way fewer partners than clients, why not buy the partners a really nice ultra-durable knife that they will have for the rest of their careers? (I have nothing against the Opinels, I really like mine, but they are just a light-duty knife.) These Spyderco Paras are $300 each, but they are the most comfortable folding knife I have ever used. And the one-handed open is good for lawyers.

C223GPDBL_Both.png

mikewof

mikewof
One thing I like about the Opinels; the little ring lock.

It can lock the blade open like a regular locking knife, but it can also lock the blade closed. Kinda neat for when I don't want to risk the blade opening up, getting dulled on my keyring, or another tool.

Canada
My new EDC. Wanted to replace my existing folder with an assisted. The older I get, the fatter and more fumbly my thumbs get. 

C44F90E1-C190-4848-A250-DE81212E157A.jpeg

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I KNEW this thread would cost me MONEY!

Kershaw Automatic Launch 6.  Great steel, great ergos, thin, strong, with excellent reviews.  On sale for $115.  My first Automatic and "Dark Places" knife.  
Two Weak Review:  A VERY nice knife. Well constructed, balanced, sharp and solid. It feels very good in the hand. After practicing my draw, it's *almost* as fast as my Leek. Guts Amazon boxes like nobody's bidness. I like it a lot.

But, the bastard is BIG.  Wouldn't think an extra 3/4" would make that much of a difference: It does. When the heavy blade flicks out and locks, it's a challenge to hold on. Then again, it's size, heft and sturdiness would serve very well as a utility knife; just not a carry knife. I'm going to continue to work with it, see if I can come to some accommodation. 

But, gotta say - Kershaw has built a truly outstanding knife.

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
Twoo Weak Review:  A VERY nice knife. Well constructed, balanced, sharp and solid. It feels very good in the hand. After practicing my draw, it's *almost* as fast as my Leek. Guts Amazon boxes like nobody's bidness. I like it a lot.

But, the bastard is BIG.  Wouldn't think an extra 3/4" would make that much of a difference: It does. When the heavy blade flicks out and locks, it's a challenge to hold on. Then again, it's size, heft and sturdiness would serve very well as a utility knife; just not a carry knife. I'm going to continue to work with it, see if I can come to some accommodation. 

But, gotta say - Kershaw has built a truly outstanding knife.
FTFY

Here you go. One of my little guys. Inexpensive, sharpens well but doesn’t hold an edge at all. But folded it’s no bigger than a car key, hardly notice it in my pocket and I’ve cut this or that 100 times over the years. Got it free as some company’s giveaway promo swag. I like the little fella. 

View attachment 505445
Most likely you did not get that knife from my dad, but he had a bunch made up for his pile driving company and handed them out 20 something years ago. He still uses his almost daily.

Something a bit different.  I picked up this Saudi dagger and messenger tube when I was living in the middle east.  I guess its a variation on the Omani khanjar?  These days, it's hanging in the smokehouse cafe - not to far from a framed US flag that was flown on a combat mission by a mate.

i-HPPDNDR-X2.jpg