Blades/knives. Whatcha got

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
Thanks! I have that veritas jig and use that for the plane irons and chisels. I still freehand the knives and its the curve that puzzles me with the knife sharpening jigs. Never touched one but watched you tube stuff. Till I can figure out how to solve that question I'll continue to freehand I guess. Sometimes the results are awesome.........sometimes............less than awesome. My kitchen knives are all Zwilling Pro S so I'm reluctant to surrender them to a questionable jig. My steak knives are Shun and I have not tried to sharpen them yet. They don't really see enough use use to make it necessary yet. An occasional run over the steel to burnish them and they're good to go. 
Yep- I bought the EdgePro primarily for my kitchen knives. There is some learning curve, but now I use it for all of my good blades with absolute confidence. 

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I free hand on the stone. It takes a bit of price on old shittty knives first. I still don't get it right every time. Perhaps I should try one of those systems. Will they accommodate chisels and plane irons?
the spyderco allows you to put the two triangular rods on the back of the base to give you a flat surface to work with...  personally for chisels and irons I'd stick to a water stone..

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
the spyderco allows you to put the two triangular rods on the back of the base to give you a flat surface to work with...  personally for chisels and irons I'd stick to a water stone..
Spyderco also makes benchstones, 8” x 2” x 1/2”, in Medium, Fine, and Ultra Fine.  My only issue is that the Medium is still to fine!  You need to go to another system to reprofile an edge.  The Spyderco triangle system is my go-to for serrated blades!  

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Spyderco-Bench-Stone-Medium-P299C98.aspx

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
I have one of these in the driver door pocket of my Touareg.

vintage 50s usmc stamped kabar with most of its anti reflective finish still on it

the sheath looks identical to this, very sharp

image.jpeg

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
1655578549714.png

Kershaw Launch 11. Got it for a hundy at my LGP - 'bout $25 less (shipped) than the best Interwebz price I could find.

I likey. It's my new EDC.

Last edited:

mikewof

mikewof
hell i went into that place back then... 3+ stories of goods packed in tight... it was awesome.. nothing has compared to it since..
It was pretty close to Dieter's Klepper shop over in Union Square. But Paragon had the Canadian Feathercaft folding kayaks, nobody else had those back then. Good store for board sports too.

mikewof

mikewof
I have decided that I truly need a proper switch blade. Not a pig sticker, but a strong back, fast opening one handed knife.

I have a couple in mind..... Trouble is, they are very expensive.
They suck. I have had both side-opening and out-the-front types, the side-opening was a little more durable than the OTF, but not by much. The mechanism is weak and testy, and the lock just can't be built with sufficient strength to hold onto the blade when fired by a spring.

Don't waste your money, get a decent butterfly knife instead if you need one-handed operation.

Spyderco makes a good one, but as with most one-handed knives, they are restricted and you need to fill out a form showing that you are compliant with the Federal Section 1716(g) rules. And then, you have to learn to handle a Butterfly.

The better option is Spyderco's Police Model knives. They are dead easy to open one-handed, and way more durable than the piece of shit automatic knives. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C07/2

mikewof

mikewof
Japanese right?

I have a Japanese sword with that identical scabbard and and very similar blade and handle. My uncle brought it back from his time in the Pacific, WWII. I used to use it as a machete to clear overgrowth behind his house in Brookfield, CT.

The scabbard or sheath, whatever that is, has a little lock to hold in the sword. Kind of ingenious, it will only release when the lock is released. Mine also has a leather draw for the index finger.

mikewof

mikewof
BTW a "Kilt a Bar" refers to a "Barrow" or castrated wild hog, not a bear.
I've seen that done on video. They have to castrate the bar just to make the thing edible for the next year. The hog was not pleased with getting hog-tied, nor getting his nut sack sliced open and his Hog Family Jewels squeezed through the slit. The poor fellow screamed like a pig. Then they cut off a piece of the ear to identify which bars were castrated. And then they cut off the ties, and let the regretful hog gentleman run around like a maniac with his balls cut off.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I've seen that done on video. They have to castrate the bar just to make the thing edible for the next year. The hog was not pleased with getting hog-tied, nor getting his nut sack sliced open and his Hog Family Jewels squeezed through the slit. The poor fellow screamed like a pig. Then they cut off a piece of the ear to identify which bars were castrated. And then they cut off the ties, and let the regretful hog gentleman run around like a maniac with his balls cut off.
so a typical wedding ?