blasting tunes while racing

so i like music. i reckon other folks do as well. i'm currently an engineering student and could figure a way to integrate a digital compass (i.e. tacktick) with an mp3 player. do any of you think that would be wrong to race with? I mean, is it cool to be playing music while racing, or would it be silly

k_kirk

There are some cheap waterproof mp3 players that you could get for lot less effort. Just make sure you can still hear that poor sod yelling "Starboard" at you as you're about to t-bone him...

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
If it works for you, go for it. I love music too but I sail by the seat of my pants and by the sound the boat makes. Loud music would make that dificult. I'd find it distracting especially if I started singing along instead of watching what I was doing. Cruising with music is a very good idea but I'd rather not race with it blasting. Better yet, get a water proof MP3 player, earbuds, and tuck it into your wetsuit. That way you can keep it all to yourself. Play what you like as loud as your inner ear can stand and no one gets pissed.

Kelp

Super Anarchist
For facks sake lad, can't you unplug for a little while?

If you can't have fun sailing a dinghy without tunes, maybe you should stay home a play computer games

When the other boats sail higher and faster could it be they are paying better attention to the boat, wind, waves, competition ?

Do what you want but you better not get in a collision on the race course

coyote

For facks sake lad, can't you unplug for a little while?
If you can't have fun sailing a dinghy without tunes, maybe you should stay home a play computer games

When the other boats sail higher and faster could it be they are paying better attention to the boat, wind, waves, competition ?

Do what you want but you better not get in a collision on the race course

Thank You, Kelp

MT14er

MT
If I were single handing and it was a fun race, then it may be cool. Never with a crew, never when serious racing.

TimClark

Super Anarchist
NYC
During racing: Never...After/before racing: sometimes. I tell when I'm slowing down or speeding up by listening to the water flow over the hull and my wake, if I can't hear that then I don't know when to switch gears as well.

TC

cjsaila222

Anarchist
Santa Brunta
at the high school PCC's a few months ago one dude who isnt usually that good brought out his ipod in a waterproof bag and blasted gangster rap and won a race and was top five in the other races.

sadolph

Super Anarchist
Ottawa, Canada
I would never play tunes while racing. However...

I believe every I14 that is underweight should take out the lead, and mount a motorcycle battery + kick ass stereo. There are definitely times when I personally think some loud tuneage would be pretty good....say in 20 knots broad reaching twin wires with an asym kite.

But not racing.

Actually, we could have a separate topic-- ultimate playlist for hair raising wild ass careeening downwind in a dinghy TUNES.

I'll open the discussion ... my top 5 all time greatest hair raising wild ass careeening downwind in a dinghy TUNES (anyone seen the movie High Fidelity?)

1. Van Halen - Running with the Devil

2. Rush - Tom Sawyer

3. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - T-Bone

4. Led Zepplin - Been a long time since I rock and rolled (except that cadillac ruined it - that might drop it from the list actually)

5. Tragically Hip - New Orleans is Sinking

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I would never play tunes while racing. However...
I believe every I14 that is underweight should take out the lead, and mount a motorcycle battery + kick ass stereo. There are definitely times when I personally think some loud tuneage would be pretty good....say in 20 knots broad reaching twin wires with an asym kite.

But not racing.

Actually, we could have a separate topic-- ultimate playlist for hair raising wild ass careeening downwind in a dinghy TUNES.

I'll open the discussion ... my top 5 all time greatest hair raising wild ass careeening downwind in a dinghy TUNES (anyone seen the movie High Fidelity?)

1. Van Halen - Running with the Devil

2. Rush - Tom Sawyer

3. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - T-Bone

4. Led Zepplin - Been a long time since I rock and rolled (except that cadillac ruined it - that might drop it from the list actually)

5. Tragically Hip - New Orleans is Sinking
Add Ozzy Ozborne's "Crazy Train" and when sailing lead mines, it is sometimes fun to put something from Pirates while rolling boats down wind in fun races.

For those moonlight sails with a little lady, Christopher Cross "Sailing", "Tall Ships" by Enya, and some Gordon Lightfoot. I know showing my age there. Rap seems counter to why I sail. Sunny fun days some Regae sounds good too.

Matt D

Super Anarchist
I've heard of a 14 that had a waterproof speaker attached to tape deck and battery in the place of an inspection port cover in the 1980s that did what you describe. It might not be all that good for serious racing, but could be fun for cruising.