blooper time!

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Have a look at that vid above -- constant 8's in fairly benign conditions.

For something a bit more exciting.. peak logged during some shenanigans at night.

14701077_125058351296198_4291517720001773568_n.jpg
scary...

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
If it's not against the rules, and it might provide a performance benefit, then why not?

I'm sure you plan on making some test runs in a non-racing setting first, to see if it's even worth all the effort. Get someone to take photos.

RATM

Anarchist
Sea lawyers.... gotta love um. That rule would have to have some cute wording. Something like "no free flying jibs"

Many moons ago, I raced on an IOR lead mine that came with every trick sail that has ever been made. Jib Top, Genoa staysail, spinnaker staysail and yes, a blooper. At the time, nobody had asym kites. All those trick sails had one thing in common, they measured in as headsails there for max size was an LP of 150% of J. If someone wants to prevent someone else from using a blooper, they can't just say "no bloopers"

Unlike many I enjoyed the IOR boats and the terrific competition of the time.  When I had a masthead boat flying a blooper was often faster and more fun.  On the Peterson 43 a tallboy staysail was often in the mix as well (everyone had a sail to trim or a winch to grind).  If the rule you are racing under permits a blooper by all means use it to determine when it works and particularly when it permits beating your polars.

Robin

Wheezer

Sandy Eggo
You should use it. Give the waaa, waaa's some thing to wine about.

I asked Chuck about sailing Juiced in the Halloween race and we all dress up like O.J. since he just got out of jail but just a little to much in your face.

Last edited by a moderator:

vdm

Of course fly it!!

Definitely Santa Barbara- King Harbor Race,  around 1980, Kindred Spirit in the background.

brettphillips

Hawaii
It's a toss up.  Do you trust your knot meter or would you rather have a beer?  See if it's faster.  If there's some dick next to you that you want to beat, put down your beer and bust out the Blooper.

brourke

Toronto
The thing that was counter intuitive about bloopers is when it was really windy (20+), the blooper helped stabilize the boat from doing death rolls due to the small mains and big mast head spinnakers. 

sailon

FLY IT!!  I had a blast sailing the old IOR machines too!  Tricky to fly, but effective for reasons already mentioned.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
A proper blooper can fly as high as 145-150 AWA, , so it's not just for DDW. Light air jibe angle is Prob a bit higher...you're not going to need a 'light-air' blooper. It doesn't take much practice to set and fly it...take notes and figure out what wind speeds and angles it's worth flying. Don't bother trying to figure out how to jibe it. There's no market for used bloopers, so a used sail emporium price for a 33' boat is dirt cheap....$100-200.  I wouldn't buy a new one unless forced to. A staysail is going to work on the boat also, def worth looking in to.