bluffs, blarney, blather, and bullshit

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
What? No dissing intended. Just a colloquial play on words. Doggie's OK.
None taken.

There's a belief that the AC will go on forever because it's lasted a long time. But major sailing fixtures all over have come to an end. It's easy to enumerate examples from the USA and UK. UK sailing was more invested in the Admiral's Cup than the America's Cup, yet it has gone and despite all efforts to reinvent it, nobody now believes it is coming back. I don't buy into the idea that the AC is exempt. Not, anyway, into the full-time career option that it has become. Consider, for instance, the fact that none of the $Bs who fund the circus are exactly spring chickens and there's little sign of a younger generation of backers taking an interest. Perhaps the AC will re-invent itself as something closer to what it was in the 12m era. I mean in terms of scale and the time periods over which campaigns were active, not the boats. That, IMO,  would not be such a  bad thing. 

Anyway, I know I won't convince the true believers. Out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gissie

Super Anarchist
None taken.

There's a belief that the AC will go on forever because it's lasted a long time. But major sailing fixtures all over have come to an end. It's easy to enumerate examples from the USA and UK. UK sailing was more invested in the Admiral's Cup than the America's Cup, yet it has gone and despite all efforts to reinvent it, nobody now believes it is coming back. I don't buy into the idea that the AC is exempt. Not, anyway, into the full-time career option that it has become. Consider, for instance, the fact that none of the $Bs who fund the circus are exactly spring chickens and there's little sign of a younger generation of backers taking an interest. Perhaps the AC will re-invent itself as something closer to what it was in the 12m era. I mean in terms of scale and the time periods over which campaigns were active, not the boats. That, IMO,  would not be such a  bad thing. 

Anyway, I know I won't convince the true believers. Out.
Being a challenge cup it can just go dormant, but never disappear. The full time career model it has been become, as you say, unlikely to survive.

Which may be a good thing.