boat adrift in Larchmont outerharbor??

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
i just got an email that a blue hulled white boot striped hull (approx 36 ft.) is aground after breaking free at LYC. LYC and the Harbormaster have been notified....

NyJboat

Super Anarchist
That sucks. Two boats that come to mind are Jouster (J105) and Fantasy Girl (X332, I know its only 33 ft but who can judge at night).

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
update from one of SS crew-

Just an update to all. I am still not 100% if the boat was Fantasy Girl. It is definitely a dark hull no longer than 40' with a white pin stripe boot-top much like an x-yacht. What I do know is that this boat easily spent 4 hours wedged between a wooden pier/dock and a sea wall. At 1am and 5am I went outside to take a look at the boat and she was floating high and dry with the rig up. However, around 7am while I noticed that the winds had clocked coming out of the north and was taking the boat south out of the harbor with the ebbing tide. I was not able to track the boat as I had to leave to go to work. Around 10pm last night I noticed another sailing vessel that was not as fortunate. This boat also broke free of her mooring but got taken into the concrete pier located on the SE corner of Larchmont Harbor. All I was able to make out of the boat was that it had a white self furling jib, whiteish sail cover and a radar on her stern. Anyway, this boat definetly spend the entire night bashing against this pier. From probably 3:30am-5am I kept on hearing what sounded like a huge bird whimpering in pain going "GWAAAAK." I can only assume that this sound was coming from this boat, probably her rigging. This noise came to an abrupt end around 5am when there was a crack followed by nothing but silence the rest of the morning. My guess is that her rig came down.

On another note, this morning I heard from a LYC member who said that 8 boats broke free last night.

jesposito

Super Anarchist

Just an update to all. I am still not 100% if the boat was Fantasy Girl. It is definitely a dark hull no longer than 40' with a white pin stripe boot-top much like an x-yacht. What I do know is that this boat easily spent 4 hours wedged between a wooden pier/dock and a sea wall. At 1am and 5am I went outside to take a look at the boat and she was floating high and dry with the rig up. However, around 7am while I noticed that the winds had clocked coming out of the north and was taking the boat south out of the harbor with the ebbing tide. I was not able to track the boat as I had to leave to go to work. Around 10pm last night I noticed another sailing vessel that was not as fortunate. This boat also broke free of her mooring but got taken into the concrete pier located on the SE corner of Larchmont Harbor. All I was able to make out of the boat was that it had a white self furling jib, whiteish sail cover and a radar on her stern. Anyway, this boat definetly spend the entire night bashing against this pier. From probably 3:30am-5am I kept on hearing what sounded like a huge bird whimpering in pain going "GWAAAAK." I can only assume that this sound was coming from this boat, probably her rigging. This noise came to an abrupt end around 5am when there was a crack followed by nothing but silence the rest of the morning. My guess is that her rig came down.

On another note, this morning I heard from a LYC member who said that 8 boats broke free last night.
Confirmed, Its Fantasy Girl

Texas Strong

Super Anarchist
Any names on the other boats that broke their moorings?

Edit: Just got word that one of the boats which was wrecked was a Tartan 40. Didn't catch the name.Condolences to the owners of all the boats that were damaged last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
uh, have u seen a weather report for the entire East Coast of the United States the last couple days?

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY

Confirmed, Its Fantasy Girl
Damn!

Latest posts